Sigma will launch 2 RF mount lenses to start [CR1]

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 4, 2020
Assuming there's any truth to this, if Canon demands that they give approval to any lenses the third parties make, I don't think they'll allow anything that competes with RF lenses Canon either has or plans to offer. 50mm f/1.4 is a possibility, as are fast APS-C zooms and primes.

I doubt we'll see a Sigma RF 150-600 because Canon would rather you buy their RF 100-500 for $2800 (and a 1.4x extender if you need more reach). Similarly, Canon already has a low cost (and really good) RF 100-400, so I don't think we'll see an RF version of Sigma's. Someone mentioned a Sigma 16mm f/2.8 earlier, but Canon already sells one so I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
180mm macro is missing. I also prefer the EF 100mm version over the RF one so I’d like a native RF 100mm other than the current one.

Telephotos are lacking an affordable 500mm f5.6 like Nikon’s and 200-600mm like Sony’s.
Not a fan on the 100-500RF and other options are either too expensive or limited.

Been happily shooting Canon 35years. Never been as disappointed. And never ever looked at third party lenses either but now they are desperately needed and not allowed.
I stuck with the EF 100/2.8 Macro, the focus shift is concerning with the RF version but honestly I suspect that's not a big issue in most cases (macro is typically stopped down substantially, and the issue reportedly occurs only above 1x magnification). If I didn't have the EF version already (and the tripod ring for it), I would buy the RF version if I wanted a 100mm macro lens.

Not sure why you don't like the RF 100-500, it's an excellent lens.

I've only been shooting Canon for 14 years, but I've never been happier. R-series bodies offer capabilities I didn't even dream of when I bought my first Canon DSLR. There's a large portfolio of EF lenses that work perfectly on R bodies (in some cases better than on DSLRs, e.g. the ability to easily add filters via the adapter to lenses like the TS-E 17 and the 11-24/4), and an excellent set of RF lenses expanding by 6-8 lenses per year. In most cases, the RF versions offer meaningful improvements (the 70-200/2.8 is optically better and smaller/lighter, the RF 14-35/4 is optically similar after correction, is >2mm wider yet remains small/light with 77mm filters). There are several excellent RF lenses for which there's no EF version, e.g. the 28-70/2. For those on a tighter budget, lenses like the 16/2.8, 15-30 and 100-400 make the RF system a far more affordable way to achieve excellent IQ.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Assuming there's any truth to this, if Canon demands that they give approval to any lenses the third parties make, I don't think they'll allow anything that competes with RF lenses Canon either has or plans to offer. 50mm f/1.4 is a possibility, as are fast APS-C zooms and primes.
I think Thom Hogan has written that Nikon is doing the same thing: they are allowing 3rd-party lenses for the Z mount, but they vet which combinations of focal lengths and max apertures can be sold by 3rd-parties. They've also rebranded a couple of 3rd-party lenses as Nikkors
I doubt we'll see a Sigma RF 150-600 because Canon would rather you buy their RF 100-500 for $2800 (and a 1.4x extender if you need more reach). Similarly, Canon already has a low cost (and really good) RF 100-400, so I don't think we'll see an RF version of Sigma's. Someone mentioned a Sigma 16mm f/2.8 earlier, but Canon already sells one so I doubt it.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I doubt we'll see a Sigma RF 150-600 because Canon would rather you buy their RF 100-500 for $2800 (and a 1.4x extender if you need more reach)...
The Sigma C lens is a pound heavier, and two inches longer. The sports lens is even longer and weighs twice that of the Canon. I owned the Contemporary and it was a good lens for the price, but a pain to carry around. I always used a monopod with it for support, adding even more weight. I can carry the RF 100-500 around fairly easily. And, that doesn't take into account differences in sharpness and focusing speed.

So, I'm not sure Canon would be that concerned about these lens as a threat to the 100-500 RF.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
The Sigma C lens is a pound heavier, and two inches longer. The sports lens is even longer and weighs twice that of the Canon. I owned the Contemporary and it was a good lens for the price, but a pain to carry around. I always used a monopod with it for support, adding even more weight. I can carry the RF 100-500 around fairly easily. And, that doesn't take into account differences in sharpness and focusing speed.

So, I'm not sure Canon would be that concerned about these lens as a threat to the 100-500 RF.
Dont forget those Sigma's dont have close focusing capabilities of Ef 100-400, RF 100-400 or RF 100-500(new Sigma 150-600mm C and 60-600mm S have improved in that aspect compared to old DSLR version), there are compromises on which lens users select for strictly birding Sigma was a good choice but for close focus work Canon remains the better choice(esp when compared to 60-600mm S which is quite a lot heavier than RF 100-500).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 22, 2012
Telephotos are lacking an affordable 500mm f5.6 like Nikon’s and 200-600mm like Sony’s.
Not a fan on the 100-500RF and other options are either too expensive or limited.
For me the 100-500 is excellent just in case anyone was thinking of getting one and was getting second thoughts. Works great with an R5 . It’s expensive but proven to be very good.
A Sigma 200-600mm would be interesting. If they could achieve F6.3 at the long end it would be attractive.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ffleft

EOS R7
Oct 9, 2022

I have no experience with the RF 100-400, but based on the reviews here and beyond, I agree that it is the direct competition to the third-party telephoto zooms considering its reasonable pricing. Does anyone here have experience with both the 3P 150-600s and the RF 100-400 who might be able to compare?

The "not long enough" concerns on Canon's existing RF glass posted earlier in this thread interest me. While there is no doubt that the Tamron/Sigma 150-600s come at good value next to L telephotos and I've seen good results posted, I'm not sure they're the best option for effective reach on a budget. My experience was that my original EF 400mm f/5.6 (now 30 years post-release date) resolved better detail when cropped in 1.5x than the very heavy Sigma 150-600 Sport at 600mm (the sharpest of the bunch, as I understand it). Obviously, my brief evaluation is anecdotal, but since the 100-500L is better all-around, that seems like a different league and not something Canon would need to worry about third party options stifling.

Meanwhile, many mid-range Sigma EF lenses are sharp, fast, and fill holes in the lens lineup that Canon doesn't typically consider (the APS-C zoom Sigma EF 18-35 f/1.8 is somewhat of a positive outlier -- and I certainly enjoy it).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
There is no guarantee that the AF would be any better on an RF version.
There are many EF lenses that autofocus fine.
I have loved and used Sigma Art EF lenses. But to say the RF version would not be any better than EF is plain wrong. First, RF was designed for the Canon mirrorless camera. More pins/better communication. Better image quality and functionality. It's compact, lightweight and provides the best speed performance. Having said that, their is nothing wrong with continuing to use the EF lens with converter if you already have the lenses and you do not feel you would benefit from these gains. Oh, since this is CR1, I imaging this article is still under wishful thinking. I do love Sigma and Tamron, and hope they can strike an agreement with Canon sooner than later.

Upvote 0
Personally, I'd rather see the new 14mm 1.4, but without anything comparable being on RF at the moment, I suspect that's off the table.
Agreed. The 14mm f1.8 is my most used Sigma lens and one of my favorites for the R5. Great astro lens and a good landscape lens as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I am a big fan of Sigma lenses. In fact, I think most of my lenses are Sigma lenses. I really like the Art-series prime lenses. So I'll be glad to see them come to RF.

I don't have any inside information, of course. But while we don't know which lenses will come to RF first, we do have a pretty good idea of how they'll be in a number of ways.

All Sigma optical formulas are designed to be usable across mounts, so the lenses we get on RF will be identical optically to those already out for E- and L-mount cameras.

The 50mm f/1.4 DN (which was released this year) is probably not much more than a side-grade for RF users from the EF predecessor. Make no mistakes: it'll be a solid lens. But the EF Sigma is already very good.

The DN improves corner sharpness, but at the expense of introducing significantly more geometrical distortion. The DN improves purple fringing a bit, but chromatic aberration levels are fairly similar overall.

The focus motor is quieter, but some may prefer the manual coupling of the EF lens to the focus-by-wire. The DN will probably bring a moderate improvement in AF speed. I'll comment on AF in general below, though.

Anyone expecting a big difference in size and weight may be disappointed. The lens does get smaller and lighter, but it's hardly in a different league. (The older Sigma 50 is already one of the small...er EF Sigma Art lenses, to be fair!)

While the CR article says that we're not sure about Art or Contemporary, if it's f/1.4, then it'll be Art; the Contemporary Sigma 50mm is f/2. That lens is quite different from its bigger f/1.4 brother.

If there's a lens like an APS-C 17-50, I highly suspect it would be their 18-50mm f/2.8 (which doesn't have optical image stabilization, by the way). I highly doubt that they'd have a new optical design in the works for something so similar to a mirrorless lens they already make.

Now, putting aside the specific lenses that might come first, I'll say that I don't think the jump from EF to RF Sigma lenses will make that huge a difference (putting aside the optical differences, which we can already assess from their performance on other mounts). EF lenses work exceptionally well on RF cameras — and this applies to Sigma lenses, not just Canon ones. I've used Sigma EF lenses on a Sony camera via the MC-11; the same lenses were considerably better at focusing on the R5. The Sony-native versions of Sigma lenses with DSLR optical formulas clearly exist for a reason. I don't think we'll ever see HSM Sigma lens formulas ported to RF like they have been to E. There just wouldn't be a real advantage to it. (I'll mention that Sigma, unlike Tamron, has not been discontinuing their EF-mount lineup. Not only that, they still actively promote using them on RF cameras!)

I would personally be most interested in new lenses like the 35mm f/1.2 or 14mm f/1.4. I'm pretty sure we will see these eventually. Although it's not just a matter of whether or not Canon will let it happen; I think the 50mm f/1.4 is probably a top seller, and those other lenses are more niche. Sigma would probably want to open with a mass-appeal lens. Eventually the entire line of DN lenses will come over, though, surely.

Anyway, this is all a little while away. In the meantime, I'll still be using my EF Sigma lenses. (Well, even after they launch RF lenses, I'll still be using my existing Sigmas...)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
…All Sigma optical formulas are designed to be usable across mounts, so the lenses we get on RF will be identical optically to those already out for E- and L-mount cameras…
This is a good point. We should not expect Sigma to release any lenses specifically designed for the RF mount. Instead they will likely be existing lenses with an RF adapter built in. The economies of scale aren’t there for third party lenses built specifically for one brand’s mount.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
I have no experience with the RF 100-400, but based on the reviews here and beyond, I agree that it is the direct competition to the third-party telephoto zooms considering its reasonable pricing. Does anyone here have experience with both the 3P 150-600s and the RF 100-400 who might be able to compare?

The "not long enough" concerns on Canon's existing RF glass posted earlier in this thread interest me. While there is no doubt that the Tamron/Sigma 150-600s come at good value next to L telephotos and I've seen good results posted, I'm not sure they're the best option for effective reach on a budget. My experience was that my original EF 400mm f/5.6 (now 30 years post-release date) resolved better detail when cropped in 1.5x than the very heavy Sigma 150-600 Sport at 600mm (the sharpest of the bunch, as I understand it). Obviously, my brief evaluation is anecdotal, but since the 100-500L is better all-around, that seems like a different league and not something Canon would need to worry about third party options stifling.

Meanwhile, many mid-range Sigma EF lenses are sharp, fast, and fill holes in the lens lineup that Canon doesn't typically consider (the APS-C zoom Sigma EF 18-35 f/1.8 is somewhat of a positive outlier -- and I certainly enjoy it).
The 150-600mm C was much better than the original Canon 100-400mm with a TC in my direct experience and my copy of the Sigma marginally better than the EF 100-400mm II of which I had 3 copies. It was let down by its AF on the R5. However, the RF 100-500mm would be my choice any day for its combination of optical excellence, weight and AF.

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
We are still to see a UWA RF-S lens ie >18mm (29mm ff)
We are still to see a fast UWA eg 14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art or 14mm F1.4 DG DN | Art
We are still to see a fast wide angle eg Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Has Canon tried in the past to release something like the last 2? Their 14/2.8L wasn't great for astro and expensive. I don't think that it sold well.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 4, 2020
I have the Sigma EF-s 17-50 f/2.8 and it is a solid lens that holds up pretty well to the 90D resolution, but if Sigma wants to make a market hit, they need to open up the wide end a couple of mm. A 15-50 f/2.8 would be an instant hit at 24-80 FF equivalent.
It's funny, I go the other way. I've always liked the Sigma 17-70 because of the extra range on the long end. I can live with the variable aperture.

Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
I love my Sigma ART lenses in EF mount on the R5. For me it wouldn't be worth it to part with them to exchange them for similar offerings in RF mount. I could be interested in their line of compact C series primes that I see in Sony and L mounts. That 65mm f2 DG DN lens is something I would probably buy if offered in RF mount. That lens combined with the RF 14-35L and 100-500L would make a dandy 3 lens kit for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 4, 2020
I've never used a 150-600 but I own both the Sigma 100-400|C (EF mount) and Canon RF 100-400. They're both great lenses, and in terms of IQ, I've never had a complaint with either one (notwithstanding the dog of a DSLR that I used behind the Sigma for two years, but that's a different story). My subjects are mainly air shows and zoo animals, so I'm usually looking at the subject near the center of the FOV and not the corners, and I shoot crop, which also helps by cutting off the outer part of the lens' image circle.

Even though I already had the Sigma and it worked great with the EF-RF adapter, I got the RF 100-400 because it was on a good sale, it's smaller and lighter, and I thought being "native" RF, it might AF faster/more accurately on an R7 than an adapted third party EF lens (that said, the Sigma is no AF slouch by any means). I mainly use it in bright daylight so f/8 doesn't bother me.

Upvote 0