Canon’s 2024 Roadmap, and the timeline surprised us [CR3]

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
With CR hedging a CR3 on this infomation, I would bet that one of the devices registered with the regulators is undeed the EOS R5 II rather than the R1. And if the R5 II has indeed been field tested and in production as remored, then its likely to be announced sooner than later. Canon has simply kept that unformation tight. As it did with the R5. Surprising everyone.
Well, the earlier rumor about the R1 being announced soon and the R5 II being postponed to second hald of 2024 was a CR3 as well.... they cannot both be true

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's more likely to be a big upgrade with a stacked sensor like the Z8.
It will be coming 1.5 years after the R6 Mark II (R8 essentially the same hardware) so I would expect notable technical improvements.
R5 competes with Z7ii and the upcoming Z7iii, not with Z8. The R3ii will be Canon's answer to the Z8. I would be very, very surprised if R5ii gets a stacked sensor but maybe it will finally get a BSI sensor?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
So, the R1 only gets a development announcement? Does this mean that Canon might release the camera later than they originally planned? And if so, this could mean that they\'re still improving it to make it more competitive against the Sony A9III?
A development announcement probably means the hardware is final, not the firmware.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
R5 competes with Z7ii and the upcoming Z7iii, not with Z8. The R3ii will be Canon's answer to the Z8. I would be very, very surprised if R5ii gets a stacked sensor but maybe it will finally get a BSI sensor?
Canon doen't "Answer" to Sony or any competitor brand. It's the other way around. Canon is the big dog on the block. You got it backwards. The R5 set the standard and raised the bar when it was launched. As did Canon's 5Dmk 2 and mk3. The R5II being rumored to being announced any time soon causes quite a stir.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
That's not true
Oh. You know this for a fact? I’m not speaking of the content of the announcement, but the timing.

The R3 development announcement was 5 mouths before the full announcement and 7 months before the camera was in my hands. Unlikely to be a lot of hardware changes in 5 months. It’s not like the parts all come from a hobby electronics shop, there are component fabs to set up first, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
I never thought Canon was the type to put out a fast 28mm, I would be super excited for an f/1.4!
Craig and I were talking about this one.

I'm surprised personally that a 24mm isn't coming first.

But.. with respects to the 28mm .. I think Canon, with this rumor, is doing this to Craig:

69cf3d6ccaea6ec57a9020d47007d7e8.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0