Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Press Release

Re: Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Press Release

I will be waiting to see what the A7R II looks like. It's hard to beat that Sony sensor, so I wish Canon would have joined them with the 50 mp sensor. I love Canon cameras, but I am not a fan of their sensors.

Upvote 0

It's amazing that nearly every part of the 5Ds/R camera shell is a completely new molding. It looks almost the same as the 5DIII and yet every part is different. The most obvious changes are the radius of each edge, on the 5DIII they are smoother. On the S/R they are tighter and sharper. Canon are able to make a completely new camera look just like the old one! Sweet!

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
privatebydesign said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
But could they honestly release a camera with 2007 video, 5fps max (when Nikon gets to 7fps in crop), 2007 level low ISO DR (which is so far 2 parts WORSE than the 5D3 and one part equal) and simply double the MP count and that is all she has to offer?

I mean really then, compared to the 5D3 it would offer: worse for SNR, worse for fps, worse for video, the same for DR and the only thing better is a doubled MP count??

Of course they could, and for those that are what Canon believe are the target market none of your bullet points are worth a damn.

If I wanted 50MP files for the product and studio work I do then it would suit me fine, fps, video, and low iso DR are irrelevant as they are all plenty good enough already. If I was a pro landscaper printing big then again the specs are fine, I'd just use my normal techniques and have much bigger files. If I wanted a 'crop mode' I'd get a 7D MkII as it would do the entire job much better anyway. If I wanted video then I'd probably not be using my studio camera for it anyway............

of course

It could $6000, 1fps, 36MP, 6 stops DR and SNR worse than the 20D and you'd say the same.

If it does what it supposed to do, rather than what you expect it to do, then yes.

Look these new cameras, the 5DS and 5DS R, are not 5D MkIII replacements, they are nothing to do with the 5D MkIII and 5D MkIV either, they are different tools that are more finely tuned for different users. They are not intended to be the best general purpose camera ever made, which I firmly believe at this point the 5D MkIII is, they are refinements of that Canon 5D marque to widen their appeal to a very nuanced clientele.

I think the unfortunate thing about the route Canon has taken is we will get no end of utter garbage about how this 5D can't do what that 5D can with no regard for the fact that that isn't what it is designed to do or sold as doing.

The 5D MkIV will be the 5D MkIII replacement, it will need 'better' everything than the 5D MkIII. The 5DS and 5DS R are 1DS MkIII replacements for the kinds of people that used to drop $7,000 on a 135 format camera. For those people a pair of 5DS/5DS R's make a lot of sense, they already get 'better' everything (that is important to them) even with the seemingly modest improvements talked about.

There will never be a camera that has the best of everything in it, there can't be. We now have a split 5D line as we used to have a split 1 series line. People never bitched about why the 1D couldn't do what the 1DS could or visa versa, get used to the new family and the split feature set.

Agreed...
The world is a strange place indeed, things can be crystal clear for some and totally lost on others. Canon have stepped out of the normal and the same people that have been asking for it now can't understand it! The new ADDITIONS to the 5 D family are a stroke of genius IMHO, medium format quality (maybe) in a compact body compatible with all your current 5D accessories etc... . I will echo what many have already said the 5D Mk3 is probably the most complete camera on the market period so why would / should Canon change what is so good. YES people it is not a Mark 3 replacement so stop expecting it to be, save your slagging for August. I'm convinced most of the negative comments on here are from trolling Nikon users anyway. Anyway back to the genius of Canon, remember when Apple brought out the iPad and it was marketed as a new class of device? Of course there were tablets out at the time but Apple were convinced this would better what was already available and be even more accessible. Well would I ever be able to afford a medium format camera? Probably not, but a 5Ds.... and....I can still utilise my investment in lenses, L bracket, power adaptor etc! Well hell yes I will take two. The only downside is file size, but consider this the ratio of storage versus cost is constantly falling so standard hard drives sizes will continue to increase and all will balance itself out once again. Keep moving Canon I love it! Real pioneers don't look at other brands and play on their terms they create their own rules and standards even if the average joe fails to grasp it.

Upvote 0