Does your speedlite say made in Japan?

Hello,

I am wondering whereabouts your canon speedlite 600EX-(II)RT has been made.

I purchased one from a store about a year ago, on the front of the flash it says it is made in Japan.

Two weeks ago I purchased a 600-EX-II-RT from an eBay store. The label on this flash claims that it was made in China. Do you think I have a bought a counterfeit flash?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
aa_angus said:
Hello,

I purchased one from a store about a year ago, on the front of the flash it says it is made in Japan.

Two weeks ago I purchased a 600-EX-II-RT from an eBay store. The label on this flash claims that it was made in China. Do you think I have a bought a counterfeit flash?
AFAIK most of the (original) Canon flashes are made in China. So was my 430EXII as well.
I don't know if Canon keeps the top model away from this production market.

Upvote 0
I know that the answer to the following question is fairly in depth, but could someone please explain if gray market items are manufactured by Canon in the same factories that produce the items that ship with a USA (or any other region) warranty?

ie. Am I being sold an identical product (minus the manufacturer's warranty), or are the grey market items built using different parts??

Upvote 0
eli452 said:
aa_angus said:
The label on this flash claims that it was made in China. Do you think I have a bought a counterfeit flash?

No way a counterfeit good enough to produce a flash as complex as the 600 will fail on trivia as marking.

You'd be surprised. There used to be a very good submariner caseback on the replica watch market that was stamped as follows:

MONARCH POLFY
MADE IN
GELENA SHITINERAND

(Montres rolex made in Geneva Switzerland )

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
aa_angus said:
Hello,

I haven't got a 600-EX-RT II, but all 7 of my 600 EX-RT are Made in Japan.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
Canon issued a warning about Counterfeit 600 EX-RT flashes back maybe three years ago as I recall. I'd never buy one from ebay. The seller may be honest, but unless he is a expert, he may have got what he thought was a deal and never knew.

Here it is:

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/25/canon-warns-of-fake-600ex-rt-flashes-here-are-the-telltale-signs/

I'd bet that the original counterfeiters are still cranking them out, and might even be upgrading to the version II.

Upvote 0