Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM "Classic" is now a cult lens!

I tried a couple of new Sigmaluxes a while on my 5DII. Loved the lens optically, but the AF was a nightmare. I sent 'em back and got the Canon 50 1.4, which I've never really liked (not great in the AF dept either, halation when shooting at or near wide open, and wasn't keen on the bokeh in many situations).

Rolling forward to the present, I decided to try it one more time. I bought one second hand from eBay from a guy who insisted his copy focused well on his 5DIII and... it's not bad at all. It has a tendency to rear focus above a certain distance, but in the range I normally shoot it's pretty accurate & consistent, overall better than the Canon. And I really like the bokeh.

IMG_7271 by GammyKnee, on Flickr

That's at f2 which is about as wide as I normally shoot with this lens; my copy's actually pretty good even at f1.4 but I rarely go for DOF that shallow.

Here's another at f2.5

IMG_8726 by GammyKnee, on Flickr

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
I will force myself to use mine tonight at an outdoor concert with Playing for Change. It'll be raining. It'll be (almost) dark, so I don't have to be so ashamed to put it on my camera - no one will recognize it. And I don't care all that much if it gets soaked. If I shoot enough there might be a single keeper to publish later on tonight. I don't fear that the shots will be soft, just that there is a close to infinite chance that they won't be sharp where I want them to be.

Upvote 0