RF 10-20 availability

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 20, 2012
USA
an stm lense for that price ???
Mine is nearly silent and instantaneous. If STM helped keep weight down, I'm glad they went with it. The IS combined with IBIS works very well too, and the IQ is superb.

What specific, real-world negatives have you read about which are associated with the STM of the RF 10-20mm f/4L IS? Do you have links to any service or reliability issues with this specific lens?

Have you tried it yourself? Could you go into a shop, or might you have a friend who would let you use the lens?

As an owner myself, I'm very interested to learn more.

EDIT: Saw your other post about sound concerns. Can't hear a thing from internal mic when racking back and forth, certainly nothing that could be heard above ambient sounds, and likely zero issue with an external mic. Seems like a non-issue. I do not believe USM could be quieter than the STM implemented on this lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...] EDIT: Saw your other post about sound concerns. Can't hear a thing from internal mic when racking back and forth, certainly nothing that could be heard above ambient sounds, and likely zero issue with an external mic. Seems like a non-issue. I do not believe USM could be quieter than the STM implemented on this lens.
As a side note: with the RF85 STM the camera will slow down the focus racking speed in video mode to make it silent. That makes it go from 'slow' in stills mode to 'glacial'.

On your 10-20L the difference between stills and video AF might be unnoticeable due to the relatively small movement and low mass, making both modes 'silent'. On non-L STM lenses, there can be a huge difference :)

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
What specific, real-world negatives have you read about which are associated with the STM of the RF 10-20mm f/4L IS? Do you have links to any service or reliability issues with this specific lens?

Have you tried it yourself? Could you go into a shop, or might you have a friend who would let you use the lens?
It's STM. Sh!tty, Terrible Mechanism. That's all one needs to say. Everyone knows STM is for cheap, crappy lenses and for Canon to even consider putting it in an L series lens is a travesty. A TRAVESTY, do you hear me? Real-world experience and actual performance are irrelevant.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled, non-sarcastic programming.

• Haha
Upvote 0
A TRAVESTY, do you hear me? Real-world experience and actual performance are irrelevant.
Do you had ever tested them? I do it yesterday and i don't want to have that cheap STM in a lense that is selled for just a few bucks.
The way of the focus adjustment is near the same distance as the 14-35f/4 and this is quite silent and consumes less power. the coils of the stm needs to be powered up with a low current, to hold the position. The USM needs power only for the time of the movement. The STM is cloecked by frequencies about a few hundred herz. USM uses around 15khz upto 30Khz - depend on the mass and way of the moved lens. Do you hear 15khz or more ? Do you hear tones less the 1khz? Your ears maybe not sensible enought to notice them, but microphones are quite more sensitive.
Well, i had checked the 10-20mm lens for a FF, to see, how the pictures looks like. Fisheye effect is very dominate if you are closer to 10mm.
For me, 14mm on FF is the lowest i want to use and a develop of this picture could be a challenge. 10mm pictures looks funny...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Do you had ever tested them? I do. it yesterday and i don't want to have that cheap STM in a lense that is selled for just a few bucks.
I own the RF 10-20/4L STM, and have used it for several months. It focuses fast and accurately. It’s not quite as fast as my 100-300/2.8, but the 10-20mm focal range isn’t typically used for action shots. In any case, at 10mm f/4 focused at just over a meter, everything from the molehill at 70 cm to the 50 km distant mountain you’re trying to make of that molehill is in focus anyway.

I thought you were done with Canon, anyway. Why are you even here?

Upvote 0
For me, 14mm on FF is the lowest i want to use and a develop of this picture could be a challenge. 10mm pictures looks funny...

Sounds like you are not in the market for this, so why bother? There are lots of lenses Canon makes that don't interest me either (e.g. RF Dual Fisheye), and life is too short for me to going around criticizing those lenses.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Well, i had checked the 10-20mm lens for a FF, to see, how the pictures looks like. Fisheye effect is very dominate if you are closer to 10mm.
Yes, you’re so right. Both the outside and the inside of Independence Hall (where the US Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed) shot at 10mm on an R8 have that fisheye look.
IMG_9654.jpeg

IMG_9655.jpeg

Except…you see…they don’t.

Trolls gonna troll.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Do you had ever tested them? I do it yesterday and i don't want to have that cheap STM in a lense that is selled for just a few bucks.
The way of the focus adjustment is near the same distance as the 14-35f/4 and this is quite silent and consumes less power. the coils of the stm needs to be powered up with a low current, to hold the position. The USM needs power only for the time of the movement. The STM is cloecked by frequencies about a few hundred herz. USM uses around 15khz upto 30Khz - depend on the mass and way of the moved lens. Do you hear 15khz or more ? Do you hear tones less the 1khz? Your ears maybe not sensible enought to notice them, but microphones are quite more sensitive.
Glad you found a friend with an Rf 10-20mm f/4L IS! Does your friend feel the same way? (Or did you try it in a shop under the watchful of eye of a clerk?)

By the way, this link might clear some things up for you regarding STM lenses, especially how quiet they are for video.

Here's a key take away from it:
"For fast, precise autofocus in dynamic and challenging environments, USM lenses are the preferred choice. On the other hand, for videographers or photographers working in quieter settings where the noise of autofocus could be an issue, STM lenses offer significant advantages."

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
By the way, this link might clear some things up for you regarding STM lenses, especially how quiet they are for video.

Here's a key take away from it:
"For fast, precise autofocus in dynamic and challenging environments, USM lenses are the preferred choice. On the other hand, for videographers or photographers working in quieter settings where the noise of autofocus could be an issue, STM lenses offer significant advantages."
That article seems to predate the development of Nano USM, which is both smaller and quieter than other USM motor types.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
B&H notified me that my RF 10-24 has shipped. The order was placed on November 9th. On back order for 206 days. I hope everyone can get theirs soon, but this was pretty crazy.

I’ll be very excited to finally use it. I started falling in love with using the Fujifilm 8mm (~12mm on full frame) and look forward to a more versatile and wider full frame zoom.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
B&H notified me that my RF 10-24 has shipped. The order was placed on November 9th. On back order for 206 days. I hope everyone can get theirs soon, but this was pretty crazy.

I’ll be very excited to finally use it. I started falling in love with using the Fujifilm 8mm (~12mm on full frame) and look forward to a more versatile and wider full frame zoom.
I hope you’ll enjoy the delayed gratification :)

Hopefully the R1/R5II and the 7 lenses Canon announce this year will have much smaller backorder durations!

• Haha
Upvote 0