Best of Canon 2023: #1 RF 200-800 F6.3-9 IS USM

Any information on when Canon will be shipping the Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS lens?
I preordered my lens on November 7th, six days after the announcement. My delivery date got pushed from Dec. 15th to January 12th, then from the 12th to March 8th. I've heard people getting their lens if they preordered the day of the announcement, but slowpokes like myself are going to have to wait a while.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I know that, as you specifically quoted, I said "I can almost guarantee I make less money than anyone here" as in Canonrumors.com. Don't try to twist what I said to virtue signal yourself as some kind of hero for the less fortunate.
There are people on Canon Rumors from everywhere in the world.
Please cut your virtue-signalling accusations.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I don't understand what you are getting at - please explain.
200 generally has a longer MFD than 100.
800 generally has a longer MFD than 500.
The RF 100-500 x 1.4 extender will have a lot less MFD than the RF 200-800 but the RF 200-800 x 1.4 extender can go a lot longer and still have a short MFD.
I guess my main point is that one lens does not take away from the other.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
There are people on Canon Rumors from everywhere in the world.
Please cut your virtue-signalling accusations.
Of course there are members from many places in the world, but certainly not everywhere.
If you can tell me you had a point other than virtue signaling or something similar, I'll be pleased to apologize for the accusation.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
200 generally has a longer MFD than 100.
800 generally has a longer MFD than 500.
The RF 100-500 x 1.4 extender will have a lot less MFD than the RF 200-800 but the RF 200-800 x 1.4 extender can go a lot longer and still have a short MFD.
I guess my main point is that one lens does not take away from the other.
Extenders do not change the mfd. The mfd with a 1.4x or 2x is the same as without.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Of course there are members from many places in the world, but certainly not everywhere.
If you can tell me you had a point other than virtue signaling or something similar, I'll be pleased to apologize for the accusation.
That was my point.
There are people from over the world and making a guarantee that you made less than everyone was a bold claim.
That was all I said.
I am not sure how you inferred anything else from it.

Upvote 0

Desiree Vie

CR Pro
Jul 14, 2014
After a delay because of the ineptness of Fedex who destroyed the shipping label, I got my RF200-800 on Jan 10, 2024.
As for Canon's ability to find a product that will fit a need and sell very well, probably more than you may think, I might agree with the pick of #1 for 2023 due the creation of the lens.
I would not pick it as #1 as the best, that may be the 24-105 f/2.8 or the 100-300 f/2.8, I don't know, I don't own either.
Immediately following my possession of this gem, we were hit with 60+ mph and up winds which took down trees in my yard, so that took precedence and then this past weekend, 3-4 feet of snow and a driving ban. So, I have only been able to take 17 photos with it, on nothing of importance, lacking color in the snows and white outs.
I can say it does focus very fast and welcoming accurate. I had to shoot at 1000 ISO due to no sunlight help and F9 is a NON-ISSUE.
I wish all of those here and on youtube who poo-poo it and Canon for making it would A. Buy it with their own money, and B. Use it like it is worth the hype and desire or reasoning you bought it with.
I claimed before I had the 800mm f/11 and the ability to zoom 200 and out and use any aperture available I wished for made it a 1 second decision to replace the 800mm. With little to show off or prove my claims, it is well worth it, and will sit nicely with all my other lenses in my home.

Upvote 0
I notice some cat videos on instagram even have advertising now
I’ve had my YouTube feed pretty well trained, with all my fav photography influencers hitting my top row. However, after a link to a AliExpress knock off / homage omega watch influencer…the YouTube AI algorithm has now gone into overdrive and my feed is swamped with Knick off watches.
It seems there are way more armchair influencers in the cheap watch world than there are in the photography world!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
That was my point.
There are people from over the world and making a guarantee that you made less than everyone was a bold claim.
That was all I said.
I am not sure how you inferred anything else from it.
Your point is no new information.
Several reasons:
  1. context (that the person before you was attempting to say it's not possible for some people to adjust their priorities to save money or dare I say it, study or work hard to improve their station in life).
  2. Ignoring the important word "almost" (not once, but twice). That means it was not a guarantee. "Almost zero" other people is not "zero other people."
  3. Neglecting to ask relevant questions such as "How much do you spend on supplies a month so you can continue painting and printing?"
  4. Not considering cost of living per country is as varied as wages.
The reality is our intent is not necessarily able save us from being guilty. It's just a minor thing, but if you didn't like "virtue signaling," please try to consider things more carefully. No apology

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Your point is no new information.
Several reasons:
  1. context (that the person before you was attempting to say it's not possible for some people to adjust their priorities to save money or dare I say it, study or work hard to improve their station in life).
  2. Ignoring the important word "almost" (not once, but twice). That means it was not a guarantee. "Almost zero" other people is not "zero other people."
  3. Neglecting to ask relevant questions such as "How much do you spend on supplies a month so you can continue painting and printing?"
  4. Not considering cost of living per country is as varied as wages.
The reality is our intent is not necessarily able save us from being guilty. It's just a minor thing, but if you didn't like "virtue signaling," please try to consider things more carefully. No apology
I never asked you to apologize.
I thought I was being polite.
Now I think you are being a jerk.
If I am wrong then I apologize.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I never asked you to apologize.
I thought I was being polite.
Now I think you are being a jerk.
If I am wrong then I apologize.
I've been busy but I think someone can look back and see how many people have claimed to make less than me even without accounting for the things I mentioned and know who is a jerk.

Upvote 0