BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Wood stork, FL

DSC09506 by Cog2012, on Flickr

DSC04068 by Cog2012, on Flickr
Cog, did you finished (for now - I really want more!) with your series?
I was waiting for the last one: great shots as usually! And BTW no matter what system you did use (Canon or Sony, you proved you handle both with great success!) - in all cases they are superior... What makes me thinking (again!) that the person behind the camera is of more importance than the system in front of him/her!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Cog, did you finished (for now - I really want more!) with your series?
I was waiting for the last one: great shots as usually! And BTW no matter what system you did use (Canon or Sony, you proved you handle both with great success!) - in all cases they are superior... What makes me thinking (again!) that the person behind the camera is of more importance than the system in front of him/her!
Thank you, ISv! I guess I'm done for now. It was a short birding photo trip to Florida, and I wanted to share good and characteristic examples of Florida birds. I have more pics, and you can just check out my Flickr account (the Florida 2024 album) for more:

I think the person behind the camera is important as they decide when to press the shutter button. But sometimes the equipment does matter, too. For example, I really struggled with my slow 200-600 lens because it's only F/6.3. It was OK on a sunny day, but when I went to shoot osprey hunting on a lake early in the morning, the sky was overcast for several days, and as a result my ISO was too high. Noise can be removed easily now, but too much noise kills the detail on the picture. I wish I could have F/4 for such occasions. But again, it was the first time I traveled with my telephoto lens, and I thought that versatility of a zoom should be more important in most situations than a faster lens in a few occasions.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Lovely as always!
Does anyone know why in America, buzzards are confused with vultures?
Ignorance. Early European settlers arriving in North America saw vultures and assumed they were the Buteos they were familiar with, so called them buzzards. We know the difference, but the name stuck. It's also why we call a thrush a robin, a wapiti an elk and an elk a moose.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Little birds in flight don't have the impact of large colourful birds, especially predators with fish in their claws, or raptors with handsome beaks. And, they are so difficult to capture. It's more like photographic gymnastics getting one. Here is a Greenfinch at 800mm/R5. The 1/640s gives the motions of wings.

309A5321-DxO_Greenfinch_Flying_800mm-ls-sm.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Ignorance. Early European settlers arriving in North America saw vultures and assumed they were the Buteos they were familiar with, so called them buzzards. We know the difference, but the name stuck. It's also why we call a thrush a robin, a wapiti an elk and an elk a moose.
Assuming is not a knowledge! Why you didn't say "because of lack of knowledge"?! In the same time the educated people from "the early Europeans" did have the knowledge to distinguish "buzzards" from "vultures"! Search for "ignorance" where it belongs!

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Assuming is not a knowledge! Why you didn't say "because of lack of knowledge"?! In the same time the educated people from "the early Europeans" did have the knowledge to distinguish "buzzards" from "vultures"! Search for "ignorance" where it belongs!
I'm confused. Since the definition of ignorance is, "Lack of knowledge" in essence foda stated just what you wish was stated. Assumption was never stated as knowledge.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What he says is consistent with the accounts given by, for example, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History
"Turkey vultures are often referred to by the misnomer “buzzard.” Buzzard is what Europeans called hawks and when early Europeans began to settle in the US, they thought the large birds they saw flying were hawks and called them “buzzards.” This misnomer stuck and still today some people refer to vultures as “buzzards.”"

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I'm confused. Since the definition of ignorance is, "Lack of knowledge" in essence foda stated just what you wish was stated. Assumption was never stated as knowledge.
I badly misunderstood something... I shouldn't do several things in the same time and should read more carefully the posts.
I apologize (apologise?)!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0