Camera body lens mount help please.

Valvebounce

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I'm looking at doing a bit of equipment hackery, I am looking to remove the lens mount ring from an old EOS 1000Fn, (Or possibly a spares or repairs D body with chromed mount) I’m wondering does removing the four or five screws on the face of the ring set it free or do I have to completely dismantle the body around it too?
I can of course find this out the hard way, but learning by asking is ok too isn’t it? ‍♂️
Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Cheers, Graham.

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
I've found them to be very hard to remove, even with the proper JIS screwdriver. I did not need to take the camera apart. I found out that the one I removed was different from where I wanted to move it, but its been a couple of years and I do not remember the issue. I had one US made JIS screwdriver tip snap off from the torque I was applying. I do not have any stronger ones.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I've found them to be very hard to remove, even with the proper JIS screwdriver. I did not need to take the camera apart. I found out that the one I removed was different from where I wanted to move it, but its been a couple of years and I do not remember the issue. I had one US made JIS screwdriver tip snap off from the torque I was applying. I do not have any stronger ones.

Same here, snapped multiple tiny philips screwdrivers before I figured out that a Japanese company would use JIS. Snapped 2 of those before I got a better quality JIS bit set. When using those I stripped out the screw and gave up. In the end the eyelash looking thing I wanted to remove from the lens moved out of the center.
I now have an MP-E65 that will generate a huge bill if it gets sent in for servicing. I've owned it for almost 15 years now, if it breaks I'll just buy a new one.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
I’m looking at making the body mount fit an extender with a different mount so that I can fit an EF lens to a non EF device, I’m going to have to turn the O/D of the mount and elongate the screw holes to pick up on the existing holes in the extender, I don’t want to harm the device I’m modifying by drilling extra holes. I realise I won’t have a lock on the lens, but for what I want it shouldn’t matter.
I’m going to take a guess that thread adhesive has been used from what you and koenkooi have said, as it will be a dead donor I will use the steam trick to loosen the adhesive on the screws.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
I'm not sure which brand of JIS screwdrivers is best. I have a complete set of Moody US made JIS drivers. They supposedly have a lifetime warranty, but when I sent them a email, they never replied.

I had more than one, so I just used the second one and never bothered after they did not reply. Next time, it will be a different brand.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
I‘ll try what I have, if I break one I’ll get a different one! I’m in the UK so who knows where it will come from!

Cheers, Graham.

I'm not sure which brand of JIS screwdrivers is best. I have a complete set of Moody US made JIS drivers. They supposedly have a lifetime warranty, but when I sent them a email, they never replied.

I had more than one, so I just used the second one and never bothered after they did not reply. Next time, it will be a different brand.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
I have a minolta auto bellows but not the slide duplicator attachment. I've adapted it to EF at the camera end, but I just use Minolta lenses. Adapting others requires some hacking. I use my Epson V700 for slides, I don't have any that are particularly valuable, they were taken in the 1960's with my Argus C3 and later my Canon FT-QL.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
I made the camera end of mine EOS compatible, I bought an EOS to FD optic free lens conversion ring!

I have a minolta auto bellows but not the slide duplicator attachment. I've adapted it to EF at the camera end, but I just use Minolta lenses. Adapting others requires some hacking. I use my Epson V700 for slides, I don't have any that are particularly valuable, they were taken in the 1960's with my Argus C3 and later my Canon FT-QL.

Upvote 0