Canon’s corporate strategy for 2024 released

If you only need one or two lenses, ok.
But definitely not for hiking with half a dozen heavy bricks!
I never bring more than 2-3 lenses and I make do with what I have. At least one of them is always either the 50 or the 85 1.2
Sometimes I bring a drone if I know I can fly it :cool:
Pretty much never a tripod though. The only one I have is around 12kgs with the head :eek:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I never bring more than 2-3 lenses and I make do with what I have. At least one of them is always either the 50 or the 85 1.2
Sometimes I bring a drone if I know I can fly it :cool:
Pretty much never a tripod though. The only one I have is around 12kgs with the head :eek:
The only time I use a tripod (my heavier one is 6kgs) is when performing MFA. But I usually carry 2 bodies and an average of 6-8 lenses.
Instead of using Sigma's monsters, I choose Leica M lenses from 15 to 75/90. Even the F1,4 are tiny and lightweight.
When I need only 35 to 135, only one Canon Milc or DSLR and EF RF or EF lenses between F1,4 and F2. But despite its optical quality, I'm not at all interested in a 1,65kg heavy 105mm, Nikon's equivalent in optical quality is 700 gr. lighter...

Upvote 0
Well, I am pretty sure it´s a mistake but let´s spice this discussions a bit up :-D
Was looking for a replacement of my Canon RF 400 f2.8 lens foot on the Leofoto page and see what i found

2024-03-10 17_43_14-CF-04 - Leofoto und 13 weitere Seiten - Persönlich – Microsoft Edge.png

Last time I checked the Canon Store, the RF 500 f/4L IS USM did not exist...

• Wow
Upvote 0
What head do you use?
RRS BH-30 LR on the TQC-14.

My full-size setup is the RRS TVC-33, with a leveling base that has an integrated clamp. I have both the BH-55 LR and the PG-02 gimbal, and dovetails on those so I can swap them out.

I've been considering getting fluid head for video. Looking at a Sachtler Ace XL head since the TVC-33 leveling base uses a standard 75mm video bowl. But that’s probably overkill for a even a semi-pro camcorder like the Vixia HF G60, and since I already have the leveling base I can use a flat-base fluid head just as easily (and even more easily if I put an RRS dovetail on the bottom).

Upvote 0
:eek: indeed!! My travel tripod weighs ~1.5 kg including the head, and is stable. In keeping with the axiom that you can have at most two of light / stable / inexpensive, the RRS TQC-14 wasn’t cheap. But definitely worth it, for me.
Manfrotto Super Professional Tripod Mk2
Manfrotto Studio Geared Head
Actually the total is 10.9 kg :cry:
I use it mostly for fashion shoots with my MF rig.
Never for travel.
It is super stable and can reach up quite a lot. Wind does not trouble it. Also I love the geared head for precise movements. It is slow operations, but it suits me fine: I'm not rushing things with fashion shoots.

Sure I could buy a much lighter one for travel, but my family is already huffing and puffing when I stop to take a photo... imagine if I had to set up a tripod as well :LOL:
Somehow they seem to be more lenient with the drone, which takes some time to set up and fly and pack, go figure...

Upvote 0
The only time I use a tripod (my heavier one is 6kgs) is when performing MFA. But I usually carry 2 bodies and an average of 6-8 lenses.
Instead of using Sigma's monsters, I choose Leica M lenses from 15 to 75/90. Even the F1,4 are tiny and lightweight.
When I need only 35 to 135, only one Canon Milc or DSLR and EF RF or EF lenses between F1,4 and F2. But despite its optical quality, I'm not at all interested in a 1,65kg heavy 105mm, Nikon's equivalent in optical quality is 700 gr. lighter...
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy light equipment... but I love the output of the fast RF L primes so much that I will accept the trade offs in weight and size.
I do not use tripods while travelling / hiking. I'd need to buy a light one for that and in any case my family does not cooperate... :devilish:

Upvote 0
I do not use tripods while travelling / hiking. I'd need to buy a light one for that and in any case my family does not cooperate... :devilish:
When I travel with family, the tripod stays at the lodging during the day. Much of that photography is capturing the family in the locale, but I do squeeze in some shots of the destination, as well. For example, this was taken last summer in Rome, during a private walking tour:

"Roman Colosseum"
Roman Colosseum.jpg
EOS R8, RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM @ 29mm, 1/400 s, f/8, ISO 100

However, on such trips I also bring a tripod and usually I can find one or more evenings where I can go out for some solo photography, and for that the tripod comes along. I enjoy blue hour shooting, and even with Coordinated IS I won't be handholding for 10-30 s. For example, from the following evening.

"Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi"
Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi.jpg
EOS R8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 13 s, f/8, ISO 100

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy light equipment... but I love the output of the fast RF L primes so much that I will accept the trade offs in weight and size.
Me too, that's why I've doubled some lenses.My hiking gear and my city-visiting gear are different.
You never have enough lenses, good for Canon and Leica. ;)
And my family never cooperates...
As to weight, I wonder how can it be that Nikon's 1,4/105 weighs 700gr less that the Sigma. More expertise maybe, because it terms of sharpness the two lenses are similar.
The RF F1,2 lenses' weight is still within acceptable limits, no doubt "your" RF 1,2/35 won't weigh as much a Sigma's 1,4/40...
PS: speaking of trade-offs, whenever I bought Canon lenses only because they were lighter than the more luminous ones, I ended regretting it. And replaced them...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0