Canon’s Nanoimprint Arrives (again)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
10 years ago Canon announced they had purchased Austin Texas’s Molecular Imprints Inc, and this was a purchase that I who is always looking at the tech side of Canon was excited about. I was very interested in seeing if Canon could make something with this technology. It had an insane amount of promise at

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
Is this what Huawei is trying to use as well. An alternate way to make chips without EUV?
I don't think so. I know China is supposed to be working on imprinting, but nothing really was reported.

Huawei and SMIC I believe used existing fab equipment that was in SMIC already from what I understood from it, they can do tricks like DUV immersion and other things to use existing equipment. it's not as efficient as TSMC's .. but anything can be done with the right amount of time and money.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Apparently Canon uses nanoimprint to make metalenses. There is a post on Petapixel and this (Google translated) item on a Japanese website.
From the pictures it appears to be Diffractive Optics to the max.
I don't have much excitement about eliminating the phone camera bump because it's already small enough for me. I do imagine it might be possible to be applied to full frame lenses. If it could reduce size and weight of larger and heavier lenses, I think most of us would be happy.

Upvote 0