Canon 5D original w/$200 repair vs. Canon 7D $1,087 refub w/ 90 day waranty

Which is the better option?

• Original Canon EOS 5D w/$200 - $200 is for faulty shutter release button, and last year the mirror f

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Refurbished 7D for $1,087 w/90 day warranty & free shipping

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
H

hersheyphoto

I'm trying to decide if this upgrade is really a good deal. I bought my 5D in 2006, so it's a relatively old digital camera, but I just upgraded to the markii and hoped to use it as a back-up on shoots. However last summer during a shoot in Chicago the mirror fell out of place and this was apparently an "unofficial" recall from Canon. Then this summer the shutter release button got stuck, apparently Canon says, "these cameras are only good up to 150,000 shots" which isn't quite worth the 4K I spent.

So as a loyal customer they are offering me a deal on an upgrade to a 7D - which would be markedly better at shooting in low light (I do a lot of theatre and dance performances as well as weddings), but I just invested in the markii and the "refurbished" makes me nervous....any thoughts?

hersheyphoto said:
I'm trying to decide if this upgrade is really a good deal. I bought my 5D in 2006, so it's a relatively old digital camera, but I just upgraded to the markii and hoped to use it as a back-up on shoots. However last summer during a shoot in Chicago the mirror fell out of place and this was apparently an "unofficial" recall from Canon. Then this summer the shutter release button got stuck, apparently Canon says, "these cameras are only good up to 150,000 shots" which isn't quite worth the 4K I spent.

So as a loyal customer they are offering me a deal on an upgrade to a 7D - which would be markedly better at shooting in low light (I do a lot of theatre and dance performances as well as weddings), but I just invested in the markii and the "refurbished" makes me nervous....any thoughts?

IIRC The loyalty program applies to even busted "bought at a yardsale for $30" film cameras. My vote is . . .

Craigslist the camera and buy a new 7D if that's what you want.

--EDIT-- a 5D that didn't even power on went for $500 on Ebay, with a known repair cost and proper marketing, you could get more than that.

Their site shows $1,359.00 for the refurb, so you're not even getting $300 for your camera.

Upvote 0
The 5d will get you better IQ. Since you have a mark II then you may wish to stick to a full frame backup.

If you need faster focusing and a crop sensor then go for the 7D. If you go for the 7D you might as well make a preset to add "clarity" to every image you shoot so you can imitate the look of full frame.

Bottom line is that you should do the cheaper option and make your 5d mark ii your backup when you upgrade to a 5D mark III... problem solved.

Upvote 0