Canon Celebrates 13th Consecutive Year of No. 1 Share of Global Interchangeable-lens Digital Camera

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Re: Canon Celebrates 13th Consecutive Year of No. 1 Share of Global Interchangeable-lens Digital Cam

rrcphoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:
"•Based on a survey by Canon.
•Among digital SLR cameras equipped with a 35 mm full-frame image sensor. As of March 28, 2016, according to a Canon survey."

So, a survey done by themselves (among their own users no doubt), and restricted to a format niche that many other manufacturers don't compete in. Um....OK......

Does that mean that they are not #1 in other sensor sizes? It implies that, if they had to make such a caveat.

Please re-read the press release...more carefully this time, paying attention to the location of the footnote references in the text. If you're still confused, let us know.

people would rather not read, toss on a tin foil hat and write in a forum ;)
I admit that I had to read this text twice to understand the setting of the footnotes.
They are so prominent at the bottom line that you focus on them and the same thoughts came to my mind as to Tugela's.
So no fame to the (mis-)reader(s), but also no glory to the marketing department responsible for the easy transfer of the message.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Re: Canon Celebrates 13th Consecutive Year of No. 1 Share of Global Interchangeable-lens Digital Cam

Maximilian said:
So no fame to the (mis-)reader(s), but also no glory to the marketing department responsible for the easy transfer of the message.

Canon's marketing team did fine. The problem was the copy/paste by CRguy. In the actual press release, there's an entire 'About Canon' boilerplate section after the body text, then a typographical separator, then the footnotes, so a clear delineation. Still, the formatting on CR is confusing.

As for misreading, the opening sentence states, "Canon Inc. announced today that the Company’s interchangeable-lens digital cameras (digital SLR and compact-system cameras) have maintained the No. 1 share of the global market for 13 consecutive years from 2003 to 2015," so I'm not sure how someone forgets that statement by the time they get to the footnotes and leaps to the conclusion that Canon is talking about only full frame dSLRs. Thinking —hmmmm— and rereading it, sure...but making that conclusion and posting it? Well, it's not the first foolish post on CR (or by that individual), and it won't be the last.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2013
Germany

neuroanatomist said:
Maximilian said:
Canon's marketing team did fine. The problem was the copy/paste by CRguy. In the actual press release, there's an entire 'About Canon' boilerplate section after the body text, then a typographical separator, then the footnotes, so a clear delineation. Still, the formatting on CR is confusing.
Thank you for disclosing this.
I tried to find the original press release, but gave up to soon. My bad :-[

Upvote 0