Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

I recently sold my 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II lens, as I'm on a mission to reduce my gear to what I really use / need. I just don't shoot in the tele focal range enough. But then I decided I wanted something cheap and small for the rare times I do need it, so I bought this lens for $133(USD)!
This is just a test shot as I play around and see what I can squeeze out of it.
Baxter Goose by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Bought my GF one for when we were in africa. Its a fantastic lens super cheap and really impressive IQ.

I found myself looking over envious with the weight savings while she had her 70D and 55-250 while I was carrying the 7DMKII and 100-400MKII!

Only problem she had with it is the silver ring around the end isn't painted or sprayed its a sticker and hers has peeled off.

The STM motor is also really impressive during video, she shot some fantastic footage.

Upvote 0
I agree with all the above. I use 7D2 and 100-400 ver. 2 for birds and insects, and can get amazingly detailed photos at MFD. But for long hikes, long days, and some travel I'm using a 7D and 55-250 STM that I bought for $130. It is not capable of the same level of detail, but it is amazing for the price. I've shot more than 8,000 photos and carried it for hundreds of miles, even dropped it once very hard, and I can't imagine a better lens for my purpose and for the price. When it dies I will buy another.

Upvote 0