Canon EOS 6D Mark II Poll Results

neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
Anyone in doubt about DPreview should look at the lens ratings.... They rate Canon's cheapest lens as higher than Canon's most expensive lens.... that's right, the 50F1.8 is BETTER than the 600F4! Something is wrong with a system that gives such results, and seriously wrong with those who defend it!

Well, it's all about your scoring criteria. For example, I could score the 50/1.8 as a 65, the 24-70/2.8L II as an 18, and the 600/4L II as 0.5...and that would make perfect sense if my scoring criterion was how many lenses would fit in a 20 L bucket.

:)

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, if you were rating a lens on value *or* the even more nebulous idea of how many situations/people it could be useful in/for, maybe a cheap 50mm would win. But for anyone seriously considering buying the 600L II, its stellar reputation should be well known and understood (or else they've more money than sense).

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
amorse said:
privatebydesign said:
The only people who have suggested a small question mark on the 6D MkII DR are the original DRones, DPReview.

They are full of sh!t and liars. They have been proven to be utterly dishonest and disingenuous on this very subject when relating specifically to Canon cameras. We have even had Rishi himself here trying to distract from his outright lies. I am no conspiracy theorist I am just relaying easily verified facts. At the very least they call out Canon DR for page hits, even when a Canon model bests a competitors comparable model they still under score it or kill it with feint praise.

Anybody that trusts DPReviews comments on Canon DR is buying into their nonesense.

I hope you're right! I would love for DPReview to be completely off base here. I'll definitely be waiting patiently for some real world reviews - I'm not inclined to pre-order anything anyway.

Honestly I think people are making WAY too much of a random comment from a Canon PR rep. It would be shocking to me if a rep said "oh yeah, this is going to be way better than the still-very-recent 5D4". They'll have some way to justify it - like four fewer mpx. That's enough to say "not quite up to par", even if it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. It seems very unlikely they'll go back to an off-chip ADC in a camera like this, but everyone is twisted into knots because of a Canon PR rep and then DPR.

It's absurd. The SL2 might (might) still have an old-style sensor. The 6D2 won't, or I'll eat a whole lot of crow. Everyone should relax.

YES.

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
As I've said before, I liked every aspect of Canon's cameras and systems except for one main thing:
THE IMAGE QUALITY.

And yet I don't see rafts of quality images where you can tell which brand was used. Superb images of wildlife, or whatever field you choose, which are *clearly* not-Canon. Why is that? Are most people blind? Or are you convicing yourself of a reality that doesn't exist?

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
scyrene said:
Aglet said:
As I've said before, I liked every aspect of Canon's cameras and systems except for one main thing:
THE IMAGE QUALITY.

And yet I don't see rafts of quality images where you can tell which brand was used. Superb images of wildlife, or whatever field you choose, which are *clearly* not-Canon. Why is that? Are most people blind? Or are you convicing yourself of a reality that doesn't exist?

if you go back and read the 2nd sentence below the one you quoted....

Upvote 0
CanonCams said:
neuroanatomist said:
candyman said:
Is that a CR2 production file or a CR2 PRE-production file?
Could not find in all the comments over there.

Doesn't matter. The DRums of doom are beating. Canon's sales will DRain away and DRy up as customers who've been DRooling over Sony DRop Canon in DRoves.

;D

Almost certainly a preproduction camera.

Why is there so much emphasis on preproduction camera?

The camera in question came in full retail box with a Demo sticker on it. Anyone who really thinks they put a prototype sensor into a production box is just delusional and needs to face the facts.

I'm surprised as anyone that it didn't have the expected DR improvement we have been used to but for whatever reason it looks like this is legit. More RAWs have been analyzed now over at FM....same results....(yes they are all still from the same camera)

Upvote 0
arbitrage said:
CanonCams said:
neuroanatomist said:
candyman said:

Doesn't matter. The DRums of doom are beating. Canon's sales will DRain away and DRy up as customers who've been DRooling over Sony DRop Canon in DRoves.

;D

The camera in question came in full retail box with a Demo sticker on it. Anyone who really thinks they put a prototype sensor into a production box is just delusional and needs to face the facts.

I'm surprised as anyone that it didn't have the expected DR improvement we have been used to but for whatever reason it looks like this is legit. More RAWs have been analyzed now over at FM....same results....(yes they are all still from the same camera)

And the noise is worse than the 6D.

Sounds like they dropped the ball, if true.

Upvote 0
CanonCams said:
arbitrage said:
CanonCams said:
neuroanatomist said:
candyman said:

;D

And the noise is worse than the 6D.

Sounds like they dropped the ball, if true.

Worse, sounds like they ran away from the ball altogether. Looks like another set of raws have been tested on the FM thread, this time from China, same results. Not looking good at this stage

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Much ado 'bout nuthin here re 6d2 DR-SNR speculation.

Save the harangue for when the shipping models exhibit poor performance. Then it will be well deserved.

A "demo" camera may have a production sensor but may not have final versions of power supplies, shielding, etc.
There could be a variety of system optimizations or improvements between the demo and the production model which could have an impact on equivalent read noise or other IQ factors.

This can sometimes be seen in examples of the same model produced over time.
e.g. Early model 40D cameras had a bit of a reputation for noise issues. My late production model is the only Canon SLR I've kept because it's actually got decent IQ for that era.
My early production 5d2 was a noisy beast. later ones may have been improved.
You will rarely see these minor internal changes advertised by Canon or any mfr during the production life of a product unless it's something serious.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Don Haines said:
x-vision said:
6DII dynamic range (DR) not improved, unfortunately:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1497323/25#14098826

So we are to believe a rumor on a website that says that the DR has not improved...

...As said before on multiple occasions, wait for an independent review from a reputable source.....

Absolutely. This is just a forum posting on another forum from some random person that doesn't know anything more than anyone here (which is like ZERO).

All this scouring for problems before the camera is even out in the wild is just silly.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Don Haines said:
x-vision said:

So we are to believe a rumor on a website that says that the DR has not improved...

...As said before on multiple occasions, wait for an independent review from a reputable source.....

Absolutely. This is just a forum posting on another forum from some random person that doesn't know anything more than anyone here (which is like ZERO).

All this scouring for problems before the camera is even out in the wild is just silly.

RAWs from a second camera have now been analysed....same results. You do realize getting DR measurements, especially from a Canon RAW with a masked area is a simple process.

Believe what you want but more and more samples will leak out and eventually you won't be able to live in denial anymore.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 3, 2012
Canada
arbitrage said:
unfocused said:
Don Haines said:
x-vision said:

RAWs from a second camera have now been analysed....same results. You do realize getting DR measurements, especially from a Canon RAW with a masked area is a simple process.

Believe what you want but more and more samples will leak out and eventually you won't be able to live in denial anymore.
From a pre-production demo model....... and we know that it is the final version of camera firmware and the proper RAW decoder how?

I am not in denial, I don't believe anything (good or bad) until it is independently verified by a reputable source from a retail unit....

And if the sensor was so markedly inferior to the one in the 5D4, how do we explain the fact that the unexpanded ISO range of the 5D4 goes up to 32,000 and the 6D2 goes to 40,000?

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
I am not in denial, I don't believe anything (good or bad) until it is independently verified by a reputable source from a retail unit....

When the 6DII was announced, I remember reading the following on DPreview and wondering what it really meant:

• According to Canon representatives, the 6D Mark II should outperform the original 6D (which it very evidently does) but may not offer the same kind of dynamic range and absolute resolution of the EOS 5D Mark IV.

Unfortunately, rather than disproving the above statement, the tests at FredMiranda actually confirm it.
That doesn't bode well for 6DII's dynamic range.

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
Don Haines said:

When the 6DII was announced, I remember reading the following on DPreview and wondering what it really meant:

• According to Canon representatives, the 6D Mark II should outperform the original 6D (which it very evidently does) but may not offer the same kind of dynamic range and absolute resolution of the EOS 5D Mark IV.

Unfortunately, rather than disproving the above statement, the tests at FredMiranda actually confirm it.
That doesn't bode well for 6DII's dynamic range.

It also didn't beat the 6D in DR or noise. So the whole thing is weird.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
arbitrage said:

The Russians think they know how to conduct a kompromat campaign, but the denizens of the DPR forums are giving an absolute masterclass in it right now. ::)

A rather dubious snowball gathers momentum:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33003.0;topicseen

- A

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
SecureGSM said:
[joke] I just hope that following this negative DR "noise" on FR and DPR the price of 6D II will drop like a led baloon and come Christmas time I will afford purchasing a pair of 6D II's at $1,000 each :D [/joke]

In that case, we should spread this allegation everywhere we can, right? :p

Upvote 0
Well I cancelled my preorder. I am not taking these measurements as gospel, but given that they are the only evidence out there right now, I figure I can wait until some other verified reviews and tests come out. If it turns out these early measurements were right, then I can make a more informed decision at that point. If it turns out they were wrong the only thing I lose is not being able to get one in the first batch.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
mashuto said:
Well I cancelled my preorder. I am not taking these measurements as gospel, but given that they are the only evidence out there right now, I figure I can wait until some other verified reviews and tests come out. If it turns out these early measurements were right, then I can make a more informed decision at that point. If it turns out they were wrong the only thing I lose is not being able to get one in the first batch.

Smart move IMHO. Preorders are always a bit risky. You pay full price for the privilege of having it first. If you're not in a hurry, what's few more weeks waiting for reviews, right?.

Upvote 0