Canon is looking to partner with a smartphone manufacturer

Some facts related to photo and video technology (Courtesy Google):
There are more than 7 billion smartphone users around the world.
85% of all photos are taken with smartphones.
About 93 million selfies are taken each day worldwide.
90% of people who have ever taken a photo, have only done it with a phone, not a standard camera.
86% of Americans say camera quality is somewhat or very important when deciding which smartphone to buy.
22% of current consumers are frustrated with their poor camera quality.
Mobile photos with filters are 21% more likely to be viewed.
Over 60 percent of the digital video content audience in the U.S. watch videos on their smartphones.
On average, U.S. adults spent over 50 minutes per day engaging with mobile video content.
Over 54 percent of adults in the U.S. accessing TikTok or YouTube multiple times per day.
Over 75 percent of consumers are not satisfied with the average framing, zooming, stabilizing, flash assistance and editing of photos and videos offered by the smart phones.

Better quality photo and video requires investment in both hardware (CPU power, sensor, lens, graphic processor, connectivity) and software (apps, control of equipment, computational photo and video, cloud service, AI technology, etc.) and infrastructure. Currently, the technology needed is not owned by any single phone or camera manufacturer. Perhaps Apple and Samsung are ahead in the race in general but some dedicated technology is owned by smaller camera and lens manufacturers.

Canon photo and video technology can potentially contribute to advancement of both hardware (e.g. Low light sensors, lenses, IBIS, VR, nano-controllers, etc.) and software (e.g. DPAF and QPAF, global electronic shutter, profile correction, stabilizing, etc.) for smartphone. It may help the users move to more dedicated photo and video devices later on.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Perhaps Apple and Samsung are ahead in the race in general but some dedicated technology is owned by smaller camera and lens manufacturers.

Canon photo and video technology can potentially contribute to advancement of both hardware (e.g. Low light sensors, lenses, IBIS, VR, nano-controllers, etc.) and software (e.g. DPAF and QPAF, global electronic shutter, profile correction, stabilizing, etc.) for smartphone. It may help the users move to more dedicated photo and video devices later on.
Indeed, Google has been hiring some of the best photographic and computer experts for several years and the phone companies are well into these technologies already, eg Samsung is already using QPAF in smartphone cameras, well before Canon has yet to. In the wider world, Samsung is a better known brand than Canon.

Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
If it’s not apple then they shouldn’t bother. As a global leader in their industry they need an equal partner. One that shares an audience but not a product. Apple is this.

Also apple will have the best OS and canon can help with lens and sensors. It could be a huge partnership for both.

Any other brand and it will be as pointless as the Facebook rayban deal that cost loads and did nothing for either brand.

Also…… I’m not an apple fanboy.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I think it’s more likely Apple (or Google) would license some form of their tech to the camera companies, ala automakers adopting CarPlay (and Android Auto). That could bring easy GPS, Air Drop transfer, direct emailing, posting, texting, etc., directly and simply from cameras connected wirelessly to an iPhone, for example, not dissimilar from how an Apple Watch tethers to an iPhone. Could even offer a version for Android devices. We all usually have our phones nearby.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023
I think it could actually be about the tech more than the branding. If they combine a smartphone and Camera just think how much that could change things. files instantly to social media, You could print directly from it, the list goes on and on. Smartphones have a hundred apps that could play nicely with camera, and drivers for virtually everything already exists on SP. A blend of computational camera and "real" camera would take over the world

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The other interesting Apple-related development is the Vision Pro technology they are just now showcasing. My take is that this will involve a lot of image capture (and sharing), as well as just 'traditional' AR functions. When I saw vision of the demos from the recent developer conference, the eye-controlled functionality reminded me (dimly I'll admit!) of the tech Canon were trialling in the R3. The partnership may not be as silly as it sounds.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Is this outcome on the table? Everyone is talking about smartphones equipped with Canon sensors and glass, but that seems like a pretty niche area of the smartphone market. Whereas mobile application-type features on cameras is a relatively untouched area (and possibly somewhat overdue).

Most of the beginner, point-and-shoot camera market has been lost to the ease of use and convenience of smartphones (which have made moving photos into end applications easy). Given that Canon is seeking that market still with products like the V10, is it realistic that Canon might try to recapture some of that market with a mobile-OS enabled camera sometime in the future? Or perhaps Canon has learned that Sony (with an existing Android smartphone team putting 1" sensors on phones) is making strides in this direction and Canon wants to keep up? I doubt that this would impact the R system, but perhaps such an untapped market could bring more resources to camera development in general.
this is pretty much the point I wanted to make. Phone makers already have decent sensors and frankly don't bother with a lot of glass... Not sure what Canon would bring to that market, maybe some of the bleeding edge / niche things.

However, I think it'd be far more value to have a phone maker that has done wonders with getting so much out of such tiny sensors/glass with software to really make Canon MILCs and lenses shine.. this would be up Canon's game a fair bit I think vs the other way around I think.

Upvote 0

ruralmontanan

R5 w/ 100-500mm
Jun 12, 2023
The other interesting Apple-related development is the Vision Pro technology they are just now showcasing. My take is that this will involve a lot of image capture (and sharing), as well as just 'traditional' AR functions. When I saw vision of the demos from the recent developer conference, the eye-controlled functionality reminded me (dimly I'll admit!) of the tech Canon were trialling in the R3. The partnership may not be as silly as it sounds.
This is what I was thinking about, as well, if we’re talking Apple, specifically. Apple’s Vision Pro is going to stick—not right away, perhaps, but this is the first gen of the iPhone for AR devices. A computer in front of our eyes that we can walk around with and live our lives; not being stuck in the living room with a gaming device. Photography will evolve. Video will evolve. We’re going to see some changes here soon. To your point, watch those videos of how many cameras are in that headset. It’s insane. I too have a hard time imagining Apple co-branding, though.

Upvote 0
I do not see the point in point, just use Android as operating system to get internet connectivity, Lightroom support etc, in the cameras. WiFi is good enough for connectivity to begin with and the HW is already there. Maybe a bigger, brighter screen. I suppose this requires cooperation with Google, something like Volvo is doing in their new car models.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Huawei and Xiaomi would not be the splash that Canon would be looking for however.
For the record, Xiaomi is the 3rd largest smartphone maker on earth. They shipped 30 million phones in Q1 2023 and have hit 50 million some quarters, even keeping pace or exceeding the big 2 in some quarters, yes I know the bevy of reasons why... but they have the volume numbers. However, they have already picked their partner.

Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023
I think it’s more likely Apple (or Google) would license some form of their tech to the camera companies, ala automakers adopting CarPlay (and Android Auto). That could bring easy GPS, Air Drop transfer, direct emailing, posting, texting, etc., directly and simply from cameras connected wirelessly to an iPhone, for example, not dissimilar from how an Apple Watch tethers to an iPhone. Could even offer a version for Android devices. We all usually have our phones nearby.
Android is around 75% of the market and open source so don't count them out.

Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
Going against the flow here, but I think Apple makes the most sense. It isn't about the technology, it's about the branding. They are not direct competitors so neither company loses anything by partnering. Both would bring a substantial customer base to the partnership. Both consistently rank near the top of the world's most admired companies so the risk of either company taking a hit to their reputations from the other is low.

Having Canon certified iPhone cameras and Apple certified connectivity in cameras would be a marketing plus for both companies. Canon has struggled to replace its once highly lucrative point-and-shoot market and a partnership with Apple would give them invaluable insights to develop products that appeal to the iPhone generation, especially if those products can be directly integrated into the iPhone ecosystem.

And, while it isn't about the technology, the research and development they both invest heavily in is valuable to the other, without being overly duplicative.
The article said "smart phones" so why include apple?.. :LOL: and yes, I am proudly a diehard Android user! On a serious note though, it would be the mother of all stuff-ups for Canon to get shacked up with huawai given all the bans placed on their 5G equipment by several federal governments around the world concerned about user data privacy. I reckon Canon should steer clear of the entire phone market as I already get asked regularly why so many Android phones can take damn good shots indoors and in low light scenes and churn out an arguably visually better close range photo like family snaps or parties without using a flash than I can with my huge expensive SLR and f2.8 lens. It's only when I am using a big telephoto that the camera speaks for itself and leaves the phone for dead. Canon would be taking a big gamble here IMHO.

Upvote 0
There are more than 7 billion smartphone users around the world.
That only leaves 1 billion non-users, yet there's more than twice that number of people under 14. While some (many?) children use phones I can't help feeling your number is off. I could believe there were 7 billion active phones, but that would include multiple devices per person. Plus, many phones are not smartphones, especially in less affluent markets.

Upvote 0

COBRASoft

EOS R5
CR Pro
Mar 21, 2014
Oudenburg, Belgium
Sony has the phone and camera knowledge. Canon lacks the phone (android) knowledge. Cameras will have to be smarter in the future. Connectivity, ai, apps,... All things the next generation will expect out of the box.

P.s.: If canon goes apple, I'll sell all my gear in an instant. I'm not even joking.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0