Canon Patent Application: Eye Control Focus Calibration Improvements

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In this patent application (2024-053967) Canon is looking to improve the ability of the cameras to calibrate the eye control focus with the photographer. The eye control focus is featured on older EOS film cameras and more notably, the Canon EOS R3. Eye Control AF differs from Eye AF, as Eye Control AF moves the

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
The R3's Eye Control does not work for me. I still love the camera, but wish this feature worked. Don't purchase the camera IF that feature is your main reason for doing so. I wear glasses and that has got to affect the performance of the IR beam. I also had RK surgery (radial keratotomy) on my eyes years ago, so even if I remove my glasses it's unable to calibrate. I suspect the scars on my cornea from the operation are causing the light to scatter or reflect enough that it can't lock on. ??? It could be a very helpful feature if they can get it to work better and over a wider range of users.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
An old style rubber cup that completely seals around the eye would help with consistent pupil size, the only light would be from the EVF.
I think it's not a great solution for everyone because for example with wildlife we won't see an animal for a while and thin it could appear for less than a minute... I don't think anyone will keep their eye in the eyecup because they'll want both eyes to search for the next subject. I could be wrong - it's just my thinking.

Upvote 0