Canon Patent Application: Some Crazy DS Zooms

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Over the years I’ve seen some crazy designs patented by Canon and applications like this one are fun to read. I mean, here’s a patent application where someone was told. “Go nuts, see what you can do”. Let’s make no mistake the lenses described here would be big, heavy, and frighteningly expensive but we are

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
It's a very interesting set of optical formulas. I'm not so sure about the DS elements, but like all these types of lenses...you don't really know how useful they are until you try them and use them in action.
The 70-200 f2.0 - 2.8 looks very interesting.
The 28-70mm f1.6 - f2.0 looks epic and it's probably easier to push the wider end brightness than the longer end. This lens could easily replace a few fast primes.
I like the idea of the 35-70mm f1.8-f2.0. I think i would be happier if it covered a slightly longer tele end like a 35-85mm f1.8-f2...that would really peek my interest.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I was waiting for this. But I was hoping for a f2 throughout.
The focus of this patent is on variable zooms.
"An object of the present invention is to provide a variable power optical system that obtains a uniform and good apodization effect over the entire zoom range and suppresses peripheral dimming."

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Same.

For me, the DS bokeh looks too much like fake/computational bokeh from a smart phone.

Hmmmmm. Taken another way, does this mean the fake/computational bokeh is actually a very good appoximation of the real/mechanical bokeh from glass, but it was just a bit ahead of its time? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Quite interesting designs. I can´t see Canon making another 70-200mm lens besides the rumored 70-200mm F2.8 PZ. That would make it four lenses and the the Fnumber already drops at 100mm in this design.

I believe some of these designs went into developing the 28-70mm, but maybe, just maybe these formulars will help developing a 70-135/ or 150 or 170mm F2 zoom. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I've wondered why the 85mm F/ 1.2 DS didn't have aperture blades with the DS done there. that way it wouldn't only be effective at or near the maximum aperture.
I guess they could have put in ND filters instead of aperture blades but that would make one huge lens.
Theoretically, someone can do that with bespoke drop-in filters for the EF 85 f/1.4 IS but the bokeh balls would not be perfectly round like they are on the RF 85 DS.
The same thing can be done with front filters on the non-DS RF 85 L.

Upvote 0
I like the concept of an 28-70mm f1.6-f2. A 35-70mm f1.8-f2 would personally be a bit to short in zoom range for me. Maby a 35-75 f1.8 would be great.
Going even brighter in aperture is a very good thing, whilst the non L-Zooms loose light every new generation (so to say in the last years). Yes, you can push the ISOs up, but the bokeh also gets lost when you stop down to f7.1 at 500mm or f9 at 800mm.
Canon also needs an affordable Zoommonster like the 35-150 f2-f2.8. maybe a 35-200mm f2.8, so you just need a 16mm-35mm f2.8 on the short end.

In Overall i like the concepts of going off the normal way, a bit crazy!

Upvote 0