Canon releases firmware 1.8.0 for the EOS R6

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
No, this is Canon Rumors.
If you have a request for Canon then please make it to Canon.
I do, frequently...

.... and it seems that others make similar suggestions to Canon, because many of the features/improvements I've suggested have found their way into later iterations. So, contrary to popular opinion, Canon *does* listen, and *act* upon feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am glad that they are fixing things. The R6 is a great camera, with the best autofocus of any camera I own. They are miles ahead of my Nikon Z6 mark II and Fujifilm XT4. I doubt that I will get an R6 mark II anytime soon because the R6 still meets my needs. The one area I feel Canon needs improvement in is in prime lenses comparable to the Nikon Z 1.8 S lenses. I probably would not have bought a Nikon Z6 mark II had they had them. While both manufacturers have great 1.2 lenses, they are extremely expensive and large. I like carrying a 35, 50 and 85 prime.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Canon has just (Wed 08 March) pulled this update, which suggests that it is buggy and causing problems.

Never install an update until others have beta-tested it!
I saw that the firmware has been removed from the canon website.
Can I read somewhere about the problems with firmware version 1.8.0? Thanks
Edit: corrected a typo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
This is all I know, courtesy of CanonWatch. Sorry I can't help further at the moment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Canon pulled the recently released firmware updates for the Canon EOS R6 and Canon EOS-1D X Mark III.

The reasons are not known. Canon states on the download pages:

"Thank you for your continued patronage of Canon products.
Software downloads on this page are currently suspended.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to our customers."
We'll keep you posted in case of news."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately this is by no means the first time that a firmware update has been pulled by Canon, hence my advice to NEVER install an update until it has been beta-tested by others. It does no harm to wait a few weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Update from Canon Japan website:

Notice of suspension of software download​

Canon Marketing Japan Inc.
Thank you for your continued patronage of Canon products.
It has been pointed out that an error is displayed under certain conditions in the firmware version 1.8.0 of the mirrorless camera "EOS R6", and we are currently suspending the download to investigate the cause.
We will inform you on this page as soon as we decide on future measures.

Please do not update even if you have already downloaded Version 1.8.0.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to our customers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Update from Canon Japan website:

Notice of suspension of software download​

Canon Marketing Japan Inc.
Thank you for your continued patronage of Canon products.
It has been pointed out that an error is displayed under certain conditions in the firmware version 1.8.0 of the mirrorless camera "EOS R6", and we are currently suspending the download to investigate the cause.
We will inform you on this page as soon as we decide on future measures.

Please do not update even if you have already downloaded Version 1.8.0.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to our customers.
Thank you for the repsonse and information. Curious about the kind of error and the 'certain conditions'. I'll guess we will read about in the release of 1.8.1.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Not that this applies to me, but what if you've already updated?

View attachment 207861

View attachment 207860
AKAIK it does no *harm* to continue using an R6 that's been updated to 1.8.0, so I'd carry on using it, but at the same time I'd be constantly expecting to see an error message and freeze. If that happened I'd drop the battery and see if it (temporarily) fixed the problem. What I definitely wouldn't recommend is trying to revert to an earlier version - it can be done, but can apparently sometimes brick a camera. I'd avoid using the camera for anything critical like a once-in-a-lifetime wedding or holiday - better to rent a body that hasn't been updated, or use a spare body if one is available.

It isn't the first time Canon have had to pull an update, which always makes me wary of installing them, so I'd also advise anyone with an R5, who is anticipating installing its upcoming update, to wait at least a couple of weeks and check forums regularly to find out if anyone runs into issues. Let others be the guinea pigs. I'm still running my R5 on 1.6.0, and it works just fine. I'll probably miss out on 1.7.0 and jump to 1.8.0 or whatever the new update gets called, but I'll wait a "safe" period and even then I wouldn't install it immediately prior to an important shoot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Sad to say, but I think that's wishful thinking. Once a new iteration of a model is released, Canon will want us to upgrade to get the extra features and functionality. Why would Canon decide to add "free" features to an existing model, when they can get us to pay $xxxx for a new body?

First, I can see here rumors https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-to-release-major-firmware-update-for-the-canon-eos-r5/ of major update for the R5; so I do expect, if this happens, that the very same update, or the best part of it, is given to the R6 too, according to the difference between the two cameras, that on the other hand have the exact same processor, so from a firmware point I don't see many differences or limitations that are not strictly related to an hardware difference (sensor resolution, viewfinder & lcd resolution, etc).

Second, with "update for many more years" I was mainly referring to compatibility updates; if Canon, 10 or even 15 years from now, release a new flash, or extender, macro tubes, or macro adapter (like the one that was for the EF 50 f2.5), or I don0t now, a super-duper new type of AF motor in the lenses, that has some compatibility issue with early cameras, and the issue can be fixed with a firmware update, I do PRETEND that the issue is fixed on any camera of the system, down to the R and the RP.
I do buy Canon because the system, in the EF days, has always been reliable and fully compatible, and I think 99% of what they released until now (lenses, flash, etc) can be mounted and fully works on the first EOS film camera from 1987; I do expect the very same for the R system.

And as I was saying, the EF era started already with electronics, but it was really low tech in those days; today cameras are not "light-proof boxes" anymore, but they are basically very advanced computers, that happens to have an image sensor.
Firmware updates in this new tech era would call for a very different way of handling compared to what was before (not only for cameras, but in any other market segment); my grandfather watch (I exaggerate the example, but I'm sure you get what I mean) doesn't need any update and still works after say 100 years, but my Garmin smartwatch (which is WAY simpler then an Apple Watch or similar products) get bug fixes, improvements (especially on GPS lock speed and accuracy) and new functions every few months, and I expect this to go on at least for 5 years after the release, and hopefully up to at least 8/10 years.
You cannot compare what was required before in terms of updates and fixes; before it was 90% hardware, so you couldn't really improve much with a firmware, just bugfix. Today is 80% software, and so you have means to constantly improve and refine the product, even after years from the original release. Just look at what an "old" DSLR can do in video with the Magic Lantern firmware; you can squeeze the imaginable from those "computers" today :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
First, I can see here rumors https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-to-release-major-firmware-update-for-the-canon-eos-r5/ of major update for the R5; so I do expect, if this happens, that the very same update, or the best part of it, is given to the R6 too [...]
That rumour explicitly mentions that the rumoured R5 firmware is solely there to bridge the time gap till a successor gets announced. In the case of the R6, there already is an R6II and has been available for a few months now. Given that, I don't see how you can reasonably expect the R6 to get a similar update.

I do wish Canon would share software improvements with all applicable cameras, but they have never done so in the past. So we can hope and wish for it, but expecting it has no factual or historical basis.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
First, I can see here rumors https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-to-release-major-firmware-update-for-the-canon-eos-r5/ of major update for the R5; so I do expect, if this happens, that the very same update, or the best part of it, is given to the R6 too, according to the difference between the two cameras, that on the other hand have the exact same processor, so from a firmware point I don't see many differences or limitations that are not strictly related to an hardware difference (sensor resolution, viewfinder & lcd resolution, etc).

Second, with "update for many more years" I was mainly referring to compatibility updates; if Canon, 10 or even 15 years from now, release a new flash, or extender, macro tubes, or macro adapter (like the one that was for the EF 50 f2.5), or I don0t now, a super-duper new type of AF motor in the lenses, that has some compatibility issue with early cameras, and the issue can be fixed with a firmware update, I do PRETEND that the issue is fixed on any camera of the system, down to the R and the RP.
I do buy Canon because the system, in the EF days, has always been reliable and fully compatible, and I think 99% of what they released until now (lenses, flash, etc) can be mounted and fully works on the first EOS film camera from 1987; I do expect the very same for the R system.

And as I was saying, the EF era started already with electronics, but it was really low tech in those days; today cameras are not "light-proof boxes" anymore, but they are basically very advanced computers, that happens to have an image sensor.
Firmware updates in this new tech era would call for a very different way of handling compared to what was before (not only for cameras, but in any other market segment); my grandfather watch (I exaggerate the example, but I'm sure you get what I mean) doesn't need any update and still works after say 100 years, but my Garmin smartwatch (which is WAY simpler then an Apple Watch or similar products) get bug fixes, improvements (especially on GPS lock speed and accuracy) and new functions every few months, and I expect this to go on at least for 5 years after the release, and hopefully up to at least 8/10 years.
You cannot compare what was required before in terms of updates and fixes; before it was 90% hardware, so you couldn't really improve much with a firmware, just bugfix. Today is 80% software, and so you have means to constantly improve and refine the product, even after years from the original release. Just look at what an "old" DSLR can do in video with the Magic Lantern firmware; you can squeeze the imaginable from those "computers" today :)
My belief was as stated i.e. "Why would Canon decide to add "free" features to an existing model, when they can get us to pay $xxxx for a new body?"

The *rumour* is that the new R5 update will be a major one, and will incorporate new features that will bridge the gap until the R5ii is developed and launched, presumably in late 2024. Now, *IF* that rumour turns out to be true, my stated belief will be proven wrong, and I'll eat my words, but don't forget that v1.5.0 was also billed as a "major" update, but really turned out to be pretty modest (primarily enhanced recognition of eyes and torso, and addition of vehicle recognition).

Canon are renowned for their skills at market segmentation, so they aren't going to introduce new features that will bring the R5 too close to the future R5ii. ..... *IF* they did so, everyone apart from the "must have the latest, no matter what" gang, would buy the cheaper R5.

The R5 update will probably have one or two "extras" that will be useful to a minority, but I'm not expecting anything remotely game-changing. I'd love to be proven wrong!

I suspect that the R5ii will be a major leap forward both in hardware (sensor, processor, EVF, smart controller) and in firmware (significant improvements in specifications & performance), but it is a long way off, and it won't be cheap - they'll probably look at what Nikon, Sony and Panasonic are charging for their nearest-equivalent models.... and then add 15%.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
I do wish Canon would share software improvements with all applicable cameras, but they have never done so in the past. So we can hope and wish for it, but expecting it has no factual or historical basis.

Because in past cameras were (mostly) cameras, and not computers like today :) so as explained, my idea is that for any digital apparatus (not only cameras) we'll see in the future much more support for an extended period of time compared to what was before.

For the R6, I'll be pretty happy already with dropping the 30min record limit; but I'll take whatever else will come, if it come.

Upvote 0
My Tamron 70-200mm G2 was NOT liking the 1.8.0 firmware

I noticed yesterday some hesitation when focusing on AF-S, indoors, and sometimes it would not focus, I had to try repeatedly. Outdoors I didn’t really notice anything, and I did use the lens a week ago and yesterday, outside , successfully, with the new R6 firmware.

Servo AF was completely fine.

I spent several hours today trying to fix the issue, I even bought a new RF adapter (that I returned in the meantime) and tore down almost half the lens, and I was seriously thinking that my lens was faulty (I bought it a month ago), until I decided to downgrade my R6 to 1.7.0 as a desperate measure, about an hour ago, and the lens seems to be working fine now.

As I come here to tell you about this, I find out that Canon has pulled the firmware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
My Tamron 70-200mm G2 was NOT liking the 1.8.0 firmware

I noticed yesterday some hesitation when focusing on AF-S, indoors, and sometimes it would not focus, I had to try repeatedly. Outdoors I didn’t really notice anything, and I did use the lens a week ago and yesterday, outside , successfully, with the new R6 firmware.

Servo AF was completely fine.

I spent several hours today trying to fix the issue, I even bought a new RF adapter (that I returned in the meantime) and tore down almost half the lens, and I was seriously thinking that my lens was faulty (I bought it a month ago), until I decided to downgrade my R6 to 1.7.0 as a desperate measure, about an hour ago, and the lens seems to be working fine now.

As I come here to tell you about this, I find out that Canon has pulled the firmware.
I really hate to have to point this out, but would be unfair to blame Canon, if Tamron or Sigma lenses don't work correctly on Canon cameras. They can't be held morally or legally responsible, if someone chooses to fit a non-Canon product to their cameras, and they can't be expected to make their firmware updates compatible with non-Canon products. That, unfortunately is the price we pay if we buy independent products - not that I blame you or anyone else for trying to save money.

But I'm very pleased to learn that your downgrade to 1.7.0 was successful, and that the lens/camera combo is now working properly again :)

Upvote 0
I really hate to have to point this out, but would be unfair to blame Canon, if Tamron or Sigma lenses don't work correctly on Canon cameras. They can't be held morally or legally responsible, if someone chooses to fit a non-Canon product to their cameras, and they can't be expected to make their firmware updates compatible with non-Canon products. That, unfortunately is the price we pay if we buy independent products - not that I blame you or anyone else for trying to save money.

But I'm very pleased to learn that your downgrade to 1.7.0 was successful, and that the lens/camera combo is now working properly again :)
I wasn’t complaining, I just wanted to prevent someone else from upgrading as well.

For as long as Canon isn’t giving their “secret recipe” to 3rd party manufacturers, we’re just gambling when using such lenses…unfortunately.

Downgrading can be tricky. If new settings are added to the camera menu, we must ensure they’re set to their default values prior to downgrading, otherwise the camera will probably turn into a brick. After that, it is as risky as upgrading.

“Fortunately”, Canon seems to be done adding relevant features to the R6, and the camera is very stable since 1.6.0, so I’m able to enjoy it fully working with three different brands of camera lenses, but I’ll definitely be trying 1.8.1.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Downgrading can be tricky. If new settings are added to the camera menu, we must ensure they’re set to their default values prior to downgrading, otherwise the camera will probably turn into a brick. After that, it is as risky as upgrading.
I'd apply the same procedure to upgrading too - it does no harm (and may prevent software conflicts) to reset the camera to default settings prior to upgrading. After all, it's easy to save all the custom settings to a card, and reinstall them after the upgrade, so why take chances?

Canon makes no mention of a need to reset the camera for upgrades, but does say that the lens and any other accessories (flash etc) must be removed, and that the battery must be fully charged.

There will of course be people who don't reset, don't remove the lens etc, and in most cases they'll probably get away with it. Personally I'd rather play safe and minimise the chances of anything going wrong.

One "issue" with Canon upgrades, is that it can take up to a minute before the upgrade starts, and the camera can appear to have frozen. I've heard of people panicking, and ignoring the instruction to "not touch any of the buttons", and then having problems trying to reinstall the upgrade.

Upvote 0