Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50mm f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 as part of a "hybrid family" of L prime lenses

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I currently have the RF 50mm 1.2 and RF 85mm 1.2. Both are great lenses for photography but not so much for video. They have terrible focus breathing and they don\'t focus as fast my previous sony lenses. I would switch them out in a heartbeat for light RF 1.4 primes. Canon give us a 24mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4mm, 50mm 1.4, and a 85m 1.4 that are great for video and photos. The 1.8 primes a joke. They are the worst of any brand.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
"The RF 50mm f/1.4 IS USM will not be an L lens...
Simon of Ordinary Filmmaker fame let me know that he has good information about both of these lenses, and after some due diligence, we think he's got the skinny."

The article says the 50 won't be an L lens, but Simon's video says it will be. Can we get any clarification, if possible?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If it's optically as good as the excellent F2,8 and an L lens: I'll sure buy it. I'm slowly getting rid (at Canon's "pace") of WA zooms, so I'm waiting for high IQ WA and UWA lenses.
I honestly don’t mind if it’s not a L lens, as long as the price reflects that. I’d be happy with something like the RF 35mm f/1.8 (but no macro, please, or with a focus limiter switch instead).

Upvote 0
Simon adds chapter markers for all his videos and tends to have the headline news at the front, which makes his format a lot less obnoxious than other photo rumour focused videos.
Youtube videos can be very annoying. I'm not into making people wait until then end. I've removed the intros, and get right to the point. I'm still learning. I am for honesty and transparency, but I'm like you, learning as I go. I'm no one special, just a guy trying to make it in this world like you. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I currently have the RF 50mm 1.2 and RF 85mm 1.2. Both are great lenses for photography but not so much for video. They have terrible focus breathing and they don\'t focus as fast my previous sony lenses. I would switch them out in a heartbeat for light RF 1.4 primes. Canon give us a 24mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4mm, 50mm 1.4, and a 85m 1.4 that are great for video and photos. The 1.8 primes a joke. They are the worst of any brand.

I'm wondering if there is going to be some software/lens design trick to keep breathing at a minimum on these primes if they're "videocentric". It'd be nice.

Upvote 0
Well, sources come and go. People move on to other things in life. Sometimes we hear things that we can't post until someone else does... but we can verify it.

This launch cycle is unlike anything I have seen before.
Then he will make one more 15 mins video to say your rumor confirms his rumor....

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Youtube videos can be very annoying. I'm not into making people wait until then end. I've removed the intros, and get right to the point. I'm still learning. I am for honesty and transparency, but I'm like you, learning as I go. I'm no one special, just a guy trying to make it in this world like you. :)
Please don't make a long video to thanks him. ;).
I watch your channel also but sometimes you make so long for a little news

Upvote 0
I heard and read about that. Here my two cents:
First of all, I chose a part of the island, where there are very few tourists and no high-rises/ entertainment areas or such. Much more relaxed and calm and close to nature.
Second of all, these are the same people who cried during COVID and begged people to come. After covid, Mallorca and the Canary Islands did a bunch of marketing in Germany and tried to lure people to the islands. You can´t complain both ways... although some tourist destinations would benefit from a more controlled way or a maximum number of tourists... but I won´t get into this vicious cycle...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I heard and read about that. Here my two cents:
First of all, I chose a part of the island, where there are very few tourists and no high-rises/ entertainment areas or such. Much more relaxed and calm and close to nature.
Second of all, these are the same people who cried during COVID and begged people to come. After covid, Mallorca and the Canary Islands did a bunch of marketing in Germany and tried to lure people to the islands. You can´t complain both ways... although some tourist destinations would benefit from a more controlled way or a maximum number of tourists... but I won´t get into this vicious cycle...
No criticism of your choice of where to go was intended, and I was also surprised at the irony of it all. We stayed at a mega hotel complex in Tenerife that had its own nature park and they arranged astronomy activities with an expert at nights. We also have had a great trip to a similar hotel complex in Mallorca that had a huge park and a bird hide. Both were far, far less overrun by tourists than the historic university city in which I live and they are idyllic in comparison

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon needs to stop puttering around with 50mm lenses that nobody wants and release the TS-E 14 they promised, or else me and everyone else will switch to Sony’s open mount that allows 3rd party lenses like the…

Well, that fell apart rather quickly.
Surely the next tilt shift will be a TS-R!?!

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I'm wondering if there is going to be some software/lens design trick to keep breathing at a minimum on these primes if they're "videocentric". It'd be nice.
I haven't used video much. If software is used, wouldn't it have to be supported and duplicated in whatever raw video editing software you use? I definitely prefer it's done purely optically, but not everyone is going to be willing to pay for that in the additional money, weight and size.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
*Update* We have been told that both the RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and the RF 50mm f/1.4L (Yes, an L and without IS) are part of a new “hybrid family” of RF prime lenses. The RF 35mm f/1.4L USM will come first around the same time as the EOS R5 Mark II and the RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50 f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 of 2024.

Colour me surprised about the 50mm, the crow is tasty. The RF 35mm f/1.4L USM will tell us what's in store for the 24 and 50.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Seeyabye pal. People barely need specific TS-E 14mm. Many of them require a decent RF 50/1.4. So speak for yourself and go to Fony.
Thanks for bringing me to my senses. I still maintain that TS lenses are very, very popular and all photographers use them (or wish they could), even though I have no data to back up that assertion. But for myself, I found the perfect solution – there's a $10 tilt shift app for my iPhone and that device has a Sony sensor so I get the best of both worlds – an app that meets all my TS needs (I really only use my TS-E 17 and TS-E 24 for fake miniatures) and I get the awesome power of a Sony sensor.

Sorry, I'm not going anywhere for a while. ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Youtube videos can be very annoying. I'm not into making people wait until the end. I've removed the intros, and get right to the point. I'm still learning. I am for honesty and transparency, but I'm like you, learning as I go. I'm no one special, just a guy trying to make it in this world like you. :)
Sounds like you should have called yourself extraordinaryfilmmaker...

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Upvote 0