Canon sued for Disabling Scanner of AIO when ink runs out.

I'm a big Canon fan, but this seems like a pretty good case against them. It's depressing to be reminded of how much ink costs! I have the Pro-1000, so multi-function isn't an issue for me, but the idea that scanning/faxing is disabled when ink runs out seems a bridge too far in the ink promotion game. I say Canon should fix this and settle reasonably with the class. Perhaps if they could remedy the problem with firmware, the compensation settlement could go pretty low.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have a Canon color laser MFT543 CDW that I use for color booklets as well as all around printing. I purchase 3rd party toners, OEM toners are crazy priced. Its not a photo printer by any means, but does decent color documents. It has a setting to allow it to keep on printing if the chip thinks its out of toner. I can tell when a color is missing, prints look weird. Scanning is not affected by the out of toner message. Since I use 3rd party toners which cannot communicate toner levels, it is perpetually out. The chip they use can't be duplicated or not yet at least. There is a chip that identifies the color installed, that's about all. There is a counterfeit message when a new one is installed. I dismiss it once and it does not come back.

Upvote 0