Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

Nov 9, 2013
I've been here before, but my old account is no longer there... Don't know why though...
Anyway, created a new one and why not start with some pictures. I really like the TS-E 24mm. It’s not an easy lens, especially if you want to increase the dof by tilting (the opposite of the miniature effect) but it can give you results like no “normal” lens can.

Amsterdam Museumplein at night 13550_56 by 100, on Flickr

Flatiron Building New York City 1235 by 100, on Flickr

Pallas Athena Fountain 0462 by 100, on Flickr

Upvote 0
November is not the most inspirational time of the year, but there is always something. The issue with these kinds of pictures is in my view wether to freeze the water with a fast shutter speed or smooth it out. The trick is not to loose the motion and energy in the water.
Love this lens by the way.

Attachments

• _D7T3331.jpg
    _D7T3331.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,058
Upvote 0
It's been a while since the last update, here are a few from the past few days - all of the Waldorf Astoria Orlando:

Shooting this hotel was tough because there are a lot of obstructions to more flattering angles, but the setting sun provided beautiful light and along with a ND 1.2 filter, I smoothed out the water:
Waldorf-Astoria_Orlando_4-24-2014_4894_ID-L.jpg

Following the photographer's rule of "don't forget to look behind you" I turned around and was treated with this amazing sunset over the golf course:
Waldorf-Astoria_Orlando_4-24-2014_4905_ID-L.jpg

The next day I broke out the polarizer and took a number of shots including this one of the golf course as well:
Waldorf-Astoria_Orlando_4-25-2014_5104_ID-L.jpg

And, here's the convention center at dusk:
Waldorf-Astoria_Orlando_4-24-2014_4946_ID-L.jpg

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:
ISO 100 ... DxO PRIME

Why would you use DxO's PRIME NR on an ISO 100 shot?
I used it because it's a 37 second exposure and I had to underexpose a fair amount to avoid blowing out the highlights, which meant boosting the shadows in post. The clouds in the sky were somewhat noisy, so I thought I'd try PRIME and it worked extremely well.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
mackguyver said:
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:
ISO 100 ... DxO PRIME

I used it because it's a 37 second exposure and I had to underexpose a fair amount to avoid blowing out the highlights, which meant boosting the shadows in post. The clouds in the sky were somewhat noisy, so I thought I'd try PRIME and it worked extremely well.

Makes sense, thanks. Great shot!

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:
ISO 100 ... DxO PRIME

Makes sense, thanks. Great shot!
Thanks, Neuro

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AlexB said:
neuroanatomist said:
AlexB said:
Is it possible to stack two 82mm circular filters (ND and Polarizer) on the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II without vignetting when using the tilt/shift?

Yes, at least with my B+W filters.

Are those slim or regular filters?

F-Pro (regular) ND, slim CPL.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
AlexB said:
neuroanatomist said:
AlexB said:
Is it possible to stack two 82mm circular filters (ND and Polarizer) on the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II without vignetting when using the tilt/shift?

Yes, at least with my B+W filters.

Are those slim or regular filters?

F-Pro (regular) ND, slim CPL.

Great, thanks!

Upvote 0

LovePhotography

Texas Not Taxes.
Aug 24, 2014
Well, I just got mine, and I have no effing idea what I am doing. It looks like at ground level, you get your longest plane of focus at about 2.5 tilted down. If anyone has any good tutorials they could post or PM to me, I'd sure appreciate it. I'm not understanding how to predict where the plane of focus it. I thought I would intuitively know, but so far, I don't.
Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_8487_DxO.jpg
    IMG_8487_DxO.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
LovePhotography said:
Well, I just got mine, and I have no effing idea what I am doing. It looks like at ground level, you get your longest plane of focus at about 2.5 tilted down. If anyone has any good tutorials they could post or PM to me, I'd sure appreciate it. I'm not understanding how to predict where the plane of focus it. I thought I would intuitively know, but so far, I don't.
Thanks,

Read this then PM me if you have any issues.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/using_tilt.html

The plane of focus is infinite, if you are using a tilt lens or not.

Upvote 0

LovePhotography

Texas Not Taxes.
Aug 24, 2014
privatebydesign said:
LovePhotography said:
Thanks,

Thx. I'll have a look. Appreciate it.

Upvote 0
LovePhotography said:
privatebydesign said:
LovePhotography said:
Thanks,

Thx. I'll have a look. Appreciate it.
Congrats on the new lens and once you learn how to focus it using tilt, it's not so hard. Well until you tilt and shift... Just kidding, but once you get it, it's not as hard as it seems. The tutorial from Vincent Laforet on DLC is good as well for an intro:
Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Upvote 0