Canon Was Quiet at CES 2018, Expect More Noise Next Month Ahead of CP+

neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
ahsanford said:

"What I have found odd is the EOS M50 being called the “Kiss M” in certification. I don’t recall any other EOS M camera getting the KISS designation in Japan. It could be something, it’s probably nothing."

- CR Guy

Potentially, that's a very big deal.

If mirrorless is going to retire almost all of the SLRs someday (other than the most demanding product lines), an 'overlap generation' like a Rebel SLR and Rebel mirrorless sold side by side makes a ton of sense.

that theory was debunked the first time this came up. it's shipping with EF-M lenses, so it's not some type of crossover system.

I think you missed the point. Yes, it's an EOS M camera and part of the current M lineup, taking EF-M lenses. But the name is important. 'Kiss' is the Japanese equivalent of the North American designation, 'Rebel' – the nameplate for the entry-level SLRs, and later for entry-level dSLRs. If Canon is applying the Kiss moniker to an EOS M camera, that indicates they're 'mainstreaming' the M platform, at least in Japan (where it would make sense to do that, initially).

or you're reading too much into naming conventions.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
ahsanford said:

"What I have found odd is the EOS M50 being called the “Kiss M” in certification. I don’t recall any other EOS M camera getting the KISS designation in Japan. It could be something, it’s probably nothing."

- CR Guy

Potentially, that's a very big deal.

If mirrorless is going to retire almost all of the SLRs someday (other than the most demanding product lines), an 'overlap generation' like a Rebel SLR and Rebel mirrorless sold side by side makes a ton of sense.

that theory was debunked the first time this came up. it's shipping with EF-M lenses, so it's not some type of crossover system.

I think you missed the point. Yes, it's an EOS M camera and part of the current M lineup, taking EF-M lenses. But the name is important. 'Kiss' is the Japanese equivalent of the North American designation, 'Rebel' – the nameplate for the entry-level SLRs, and later for entry-level dSLRs. If Canon is applying the Kiss moniker to an EOS M camera, that indicates they're 'mainstreaming' the M platform, at least in Japan (where it would make sense to do that, initially).

or you're reading too much into naming conventions.

Canon's branding startegy with the Rebel/Kiss monikers is pretty clear. But either way, you still missed ahsanford's point.

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:
Ahhh, but what EF-M lens? 8)

Surely, it's AvTvM's EF-M 85mm f/2.4 IS STM pancake.

- A

Nah, the 85 f/2.4 IS will come in EF mount, and the 50mm FOV equivalent f/1.4 IS will be EF-M.

The release of an EF-M 32mm f/0.9 IS USM would surely make mr Sandford switch from a 5DmkIII to an EOS M50!

Or angry.

The release of an EF-M 55mm f/1.8 would make me interested in the crop mirrorless line.

Upvote 0
hne said:
The release of an EF-M 32mm f/0.9 IS USM would surely make mr Sandford switch from a 5DmkIII to an EOS M50!

Or angry.

The release of an EF-M 55mm f/1.8 would make me interested in the crop mirrorless line.

I wouldn't be angry, no. Offering what any system should have -- a sharp, quick all-purpose autofocusing 50mm (FF-equivalent) prime -- is a good thing. If such a lens happens, awesome for EF-M users -- honestly.

But I just don't think Canon will put a out a screamingly fast smaller-than-FF-mount-only standard prime like Olympus or Fuji might do, as Canon has made it clear that they'd rather reserve such glass for FF mount use, they'd rather dis-incentivize people to stay in crop / not go to FF, etc.

- A

Upvote 0