Canon will soon announce the Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 along with two new kit lenses

Not sure what you mean. For $650 you don't think it will be anything like the R5 or R6.
Took me a second but I think he was referring to the fact that it could be more like a M5 or M6 than a M50 but they couldn’t have R equivalent names for the prior two. Still just a guess though‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
On one hand, there are various jerks on this forum, and more sarcasm than is really necessary.
On the other hand, there are professional photographers with careers of 40+ years and collections of 40+ lenses.

Do you really the EF-S 55-250 is better than (for example) an RF 70-200 f/2.8L ?
Do you have the experience to support your claim ?
Better IQ? No. Better portability? Yes.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
That would make it the first Canon FF with no EVF - which sounds unlikely. But I may also be speculating with my own preference in mind ...
Not R8, R50. The R50 is supposed to be APS-C. At $680, it very well might omit the EVF, especially if it’s aimed at vlogging (consistent with a CP+ announcement).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
On one hand, there are various jerks on this forum, and more sarcasm than is really necessary.
On the other hand, there are professional photographers with careers of 40+ years and collections of 40+ lenses.

Do you really the EF-S 55-250 is better than (for example) an RF 70-200 f/2.8L ?
Do you have the experience to support your claim ?
An M50 user --- can go up to 55-250mm considering his/her budget. You have to read first massage before calling anyone a jerk.
55-250mm is one of the best-selling lenses within the budget lens.

There are two types of users ----

One is jerks like me
and
others are millionaires or experts like someone

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Not sure what you mean. For $650 you cannot think it will be anything like the R5 or R6.
As @Docofthewild pointed out - I should have written something like: "neither name, R5 nor R6, can be re-used", but wanted to be too laconic. But I agree, the Canon's naming convention isn't something one would learn a consistency from.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Until they release more small faster lenses it will be a very long time before the M6 mk 2 is replaced. These f4 and f5 lenses just won't cut it.
That would make it the first Canon FF with no EVF - which sounds unlikely. But I may also be speculating with my own preference in mind ...
Then Its not an M6 replacement. The evf with its hump is a non starter for many M6 owners.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
The problem that Canon currently has in trying to marry the R mount to the M50/M6 user base it the expensive and limited lens offerings. R mount lenses are just too damn expensive for this series. $700 camera and $2000 lens?
You need to take a closer look at the RF lineup. The only thing really missing is a UWA zoom like the M11-22.

Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
You need to take a closer look at the RF lineup. The only thing really missing is a UWA zoom like the M11-22.
I agree. I currently find 5 Canon lenses each for RF and EF-M for under $400, all IS except the widest one for each mount. The biggest difference is that the RF lenses are going to tend to be much larger, as only one is an RF-S. I have a fairly small camera case that fits three of my EF-M lenses plus a nifty-fifty and adapter. I would have to drop at least one and maybe two of those and/or some other accessories (macro tubes, filters, tabletop tripod, lens cleaning supplies, etc.) if I had to replace them with RF lenses.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I 100% agree but that is a big thing missing.
Off course we could always adapt the EF-S 10-18 but I am more understanding of the reluctance of adapting lenses on these smaller cameras.
I still think the first thing anyone should buy for the R system is an EF to RF adapter.

Upvote 0