CPS Europe is changing to a paid service

I have had Platinum membership for many years. Last week, I noticed the rubber ring around the built in eye-cup of my R7 had perished after only 7 months so I wrote to CPS asking if they would send me a new rubber ring and I would replace it - the item must cost just a few pennies. 1st CPS reply, eye-cups are accessories and not covered by warranty. We don't stock them, try this supplier. Me: the eye cup is built-in on the R7 and is not an accessory. 2nd reply; send in the camera to us, you must provide your own insurance. Me: it will cost both of us far more than you sending me the rubber ring, so just arrange for one to be sent to me to fit. 3rd reply: a letter with the ring in it.
Would that not be covered by the warranty?

Upvote 0
I signed up when I had enough qualifying equipment, about a decade ago. Never used it, so when it lapsed I wasn't bothered. That may colour my judgement a bit, but I don't have a problem with transparency, or paying for a service - the previous system was a bit odd. But I can understand frustration on the part of people who will be affected. I guess it boils down to, can you get what they offer (like the sensor cleaning mentioned above) cheaper elsewhere?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Would that not be covered by the warranty?
It should be, but Canon argued that accessories are not covered by the warranty and the eye-cup is an accessory.

"*Exceptions​

Smaller accessories are also not covered (see product descriptions for confirmation)."

Of course the eye-cup is not an accessory but an integral part of the camera. For the R5 and R7, the eye-cup is actually fixed on with two tiny screws underneath and there is no doubt it is not an accessory.

Upvote 0
It should be, but Canon argued that accessories are not covered by the warranty and the eye-cup is an accessory.

"*Exceptions​

Smaller accessories are also not covered (see product descriptions for confirmation)."

Of course the eye-cup is not an accessory but an integral part of the camera. For the R5 and R7, the eye-cup is actually fixed on with two tiny screws underneath and there is no doubt it is not an accessory.
Disappointing attitude on their part, I'm glad you got them to cave in!

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The bold part leaves place for interpretation and for those who are not professionals but still need/want the professional service.
We'll see as soon as the registration procedure gets more detailed.
I contacted CPS Germany about the terms and conditions and recieved this answer in an e-mail (translated):
Canon CPS said:
In the new CPS, we will only offer the programme to individuals who are registered as businesses, and to businesses that use Canon equipment for their image making. That is, you must have a business.
So no good news for hobbyists.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I just did my last free cleaning service on my 5D4.
CPS Germany was as reliable as ever:
  • Sat I brought the package to UPS
  • Mo morning I received the first note that the 5D4 had arrived
  • Tue morning I got the note that cleaning was done
  • A moment ago, UPS delivered the parcel
All without "priority" label. And shipping was included.

I will miss CPS service. :cry:

Upvote 0