Don't edit your family photos

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
It’s a bit of a mystery as to what she was trying to edit - if indeed it was POW editing it at all. There’s the error on Charlotte’s sleeve, a blurring around the outside of her legs that doesn’t correspond to the depth of field in rest of image, misalignment of both Cate’s zip and white step behind.
Bet we don’t get to the the ‘unedited original’.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Two opposing theories on how it was done: Google "Best Take" AI merging images on an Android Phone; or Editing with PS.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...EALLY-went-wrong-Kates-Mothers-Day-photo.html

One claims to have the EXIF metadata showing Adobe from a Canon with an f/1.2 50mm lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
When she was out of sight of the press I know that Cate used to use a 5DII. When in public view she liked to be seen with something more humble, so I guess she could still be on Canon.
Whatever’s happened it’s something of an own goal one way or the other.
The criticism is completely over the top. The editing wasn't meant to deceive, just to make a tidier image.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I don't get the upset on all this, except for the lack of professionalism of the royal press office.
How much information in this picture was really manipulated?
To me, it was minor, and it is all just about that it was processed at all. But all official society photos are processed somehow.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I believe it’s going to have big ramifications for these kind of photographs going forward. The power of photography is capturing a moment; this highly publicised (badly executed) digital manipulation is going to further undermine the integrity of photography in this digital and AI age.
Going back 20 years or so, I used to put better skies into some of my landscape photographs well before the days of programs to do the job. I never tried to hide the fact, and people’s disappointment when I told them it was a cut in sky was palpable. Now I’m dead against doing it.
With the challenges (and opportunities) that AI is now bringing to image making it’s important that photography maintains its integrity IMO, and this very public faux pas isn’t going to help.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I don't get the upset on all this, except for the lack of professionalism of the royal press office.
How much information in this picture was really manipulated?
To me, it was minor, and it is all just about that it was processed at all. But all official society photos are processed somehow.
I agree, how many people experiment like this and post on Facebook or whatever? It's fairly normal. Some people even use software to change their facial structure and body shapes which I don't think she did.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Two opposing theories on how it was done: Google "Best Take" AI merging images on an Android Phone; or Editing with PS.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...EALLY-went-wrong-Kates-Mothers-Day-photo.html

One claims to have the EXIF metadata showing Adobe from a Canon with an f/1.2 50mm lens.
I wonder if Canon would give her an R1 to test...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
Good grief...who cares? It's a family portrait, so let the family edit it any way they want. It's not a news photo. It's not an event photo. It's not a photo contest entry. So, yes, there are certainly times when a photo should not be altered. As as usual in today's world, stupid people can't distinguish between circumstances when rules, procedures or behaviors need to be followed, and when they don't. Context is becoming a thing of the past, to the detriment of us all.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Good grief...who cares? It's a family portrait, so let the family edit it any way they want. It's not a news photo. …
Sorry to correct you, But it was a photo released by/via official channels of the royal family.
It was not meant to just end in a family album.

I also can‘t understand the husstle about it, as you can read above.

But it‘s not (just) a private family portrait.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Good grief...who cares? It's a family portrait, so let the family edit it any way they want. It's not a news photo. It's not an event photo. It's not a photo contest entry. So, yes, there are certainly times when a photo should not be altered. As as usual in today's world, stupid people can't distinguish between circumstances when rules, procedures or behaviors need to be followed, and when they don't. Context is becoming a thing of the past, to the detriment of us all.
Unfortunately, it is precisely the context that's causing the problem, as pointed out by @Maximilian. The health of the Princess is the subject of great speculation and no information is forthcoming from the Palace.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Unfortunately, it is precisely the context that's causing the problem, as pointed out by @Maximilian. The health of the Princess is the subject of great speculation and no information is forthcoming from the Palace.
It's definitely more complicated and strange, but I think if it was a person much less famous, the photo would have been quietly taken down except for news sites that love to publish scandals and conspiracies. I saw something that there is an announcement being expected...

Upvote 0