Eneloop batteries for my flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
Although I have 4 pack storage containers that come with batteries from Thomas distributing, I ordered three of the 12 battery holders just now. I am tired of having several 4 packs in my camera case, and its hard to tell which are discharged, I move them to different pockets now.

Thanks for the link!

Upvote 0
I use the semi transparent cases for 4 batteries and when I take them out of the flash I leave them in the 2 up 2 down configuration to show me they've been in use. Makes it easy to differentiate from the fresh ones.

The LSD type of NiMh, like Neuro said, have less internal resistance and recycle faster. So multiple flash shots are the norm...even beating out lithium primaries.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
CaptainZero said:
I used to use the Energizer rechargeables in everything. I had the charger with the fan in it. About a week after I bought my 580exii, one of them leaked all over inside it. It still works (fortunately), but I threw every rechargeable battery I had away. Double A's are dirt cheap if you buy a 36 pack, and they last a lot longer. I'll never use the expensive rechargeables again.

Bummer about the leak, but I trust you're aware that regular old AA batteries can leak, too. IMO, the main advantage of the NiMH rechargeables isn't the long-term cost savings or the environmental benefit of generating less waste. The lower resistance of the NiMH chemistry means the flash recycles twice as fast as with alkaline AA batteries - and that's a huge advantage.

I've never had a rechargable battery leak, and i've had hundreds of them. A battery may have been damaged from fast charging or discharging, the pressure builds up when they get hot.

On the other hand, I've had almost every brand of alkaline batteries, and all of them will leak if left in the equipment too long. They are a real problem if they are older batteries. I've bought batteries 1500 at a time for use in my business, and once they are near the expiry date, they can leak at any time.

Upvote 0
C

CaptainZero

I did think it was odd when it happened, but I hadn't had a battery leak since I was a kid. I use my camera and flash almost every day, and there is no way I'm taking the batteries out after every use. I may have received a bad battery, but whatever the case, I'm not switching back. I don't have problems with recycling times, but I did notice the rechargeable batteries didn't hold a charge nearly as long as a standard alkaline.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
CaptainZero said:
I don't have problems with recycling times, but I did notice the rechargeable batteries didn't hold a charge nearly as long as a standard alkaline.

Thats why the Eneloop batteries are popular, they hold the charge for a long time. The newest version keeps about 75% of its charge for a year. Thats still not as long as a standard alkaline will hold its charge, and as long as you don't go theu several sets a week, they probably work fine for you.

Upvote 0

kennykodak

M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
Aug 27, 2010
Cincinnati
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Although I have 4 pack storage containers that come with batteries from Thomas distributing, I ordered three of the 12 battery holders just now. I am tired of having several 4 packs in my camera case, and its hard to tell which are discharged, I move them to different pockets now.

Thanks for the link!

i have my fresh batteries facing one direction, used batteries mixed up.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
All this time, I've just been tossing them all in a ziplock sandwich bag, then when I need a fresh set, I put some in the flash, and if it doesn't fire, I keep swapping them out one by one until I have a working set of four. I just knew there had to be a better way... ;)

Seriously, great suggestions, everyone!

Upvote 0
I will only use Eneloops now. My old Energizers still get airplay in remotes and such but my four flashes are pretty much Eneloops. I use a Powerex MH-C9000 smart charger as it tells you which cells are on the way out. I also have all of my sets labelled and always keep them in sets of four. I too bought the 4 cell holders from Thomas Distributing and they are great - nice and compact.

I have seen the Tigerdirect Ultra batteries die on many occasions - again the smart charger tells me the cells can no longer take a full charge then it is time to pitch them.

I run all me batteries through the long 40 hour recycle process every year or so and the Eneloops consistently hold near their rated capacity.

Upvote 0
Very timely.

I have been using the 'coloured box method'. I have some neat (4xAA or 4xAAA) plastic holders that clip together - I have red and green colours to separate out changed and non-chargered batteries--they can from DealExtreme (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/4-x-aa-battery-case-holder-3-pack-3558).

While this is a good system it does mean that I need to carry two holders for each set of batts. Last night I saw this old post on DIY photography--it uses a sticker system to carry changed and non-charged in the same holder.

http://www.diyphotography.net/the-ultimate-guide-to-managing-batteries-on-location

Cheers

David

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
this reminds me, I keep my speedlights and battery packs with eneloops in them then have all the spares in plastic cases.
Is it bad to keep them in the units?
just it would take up heaps of room if i were to store them outside and then i have to go loading all the batteries and battery packs every time i want to use them

what is everyones take on this?

I've read numerous posts on other forums about people having batteries explode/leak inside their flashes. After the first couple I saw, I promptly went and removed my Eneloops ;D Maybe the stories have only been about alkalines, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
Cali_PH said:
wickidwombat said:
this reminds me, I keep my speedlights and battery packs with eneloops in them then have all the spares in plastic cases.
Is it bad to keep them in the units?
just it would take up heaps of room if i were to store them outside and then i have to go loading all the batteries and battery packs every time i want to use them

what is everyones take on this?

I've read numerous posts on other forums about people having batteries explode/leak inside their flashes. After the first couple I saw, I promptly went and removed my Eneloops ;D Maybe the stories have only been about alkalines, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I have never had any issue with Eneloops leaking into my flashes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.