EOS R7 - will there be an update that corrects autofocus issues?

I dont think rf lenses can be adapted to the Fuji xf mount yet. With your lens you might be better off trying to heckling canon to fix your r7. The XHS2 has better viewfinder, available battery grip which I also bought and love, stacked sensor so you can use electric shutter almost whenever you want. It shoots at 40 fps but I only shoot 20 max. The shutter sound on the Fuji is way better/quieter also. Seems to do better with birds in flight than the R7. Only thing I don't like about the Fuji is when eye detect is used it forces you to use spot metering. With my r7 and r6 I can dial in slight exposure compensation and leave at that most of shoot, with fuji I am constantly having to adjust exposures comp. The fuji pics seem a tiny bit noisier to me but denoise cleans them up good anyway. Keep an eye on the fringer website to see if they ever make an adapter for rf to xf.
@K.Wray I'm very interested in learning more about the X-H2S, if you could share a bit more of your experience, pros an cons compared to the R7, that would be great.
I wasn't considering at all switching to a different camera brand, I just wanted my R7 to work, but after all the problems I'm starting to consider that option. If I do change, I'd probably use my RF 100-500mm with it. Your experience and thoughts with adapted lenses would be of great value to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Some of the issues with AF I have seen remind me when I went from my EOS R to the R5. The images I was getting with the 45MP R5 were not as sharp as what I was used to on my EOS R, 6D or even my 7D. I recall being frustrated by this because when I was getting sharp images on the R5 they looked great but I just could not get consistent results. For me the light came on after I watched Whistling Wings YouTube.

The issue for me was Pixel Density.

The high pixel density of the R5 when compared to the cameras I had been using for years meant I had to make some changes in the way I was shooting I found that even the smallest of camera\subject movement was having a negative impact on how critically sharp the images appeared when using shutter speeds I was used to using with my older cameras. Once I started to focus on increasing the shutter speed and trusting the camera to deliver VERY usable images with higher ISO's the issues went away.

Last year I ditched the R5 and one of me R6's and got an R3. After using the R3 pretty much 100% of the time for 3 months I pick up an R7 and a RF 100-400 for my wife. Once again I found myself being frustrated with a lot of the images from the R7's 32MP when compared to the R3's 24MP.

This time I pretty much fixed the issues I was having by removing focus start from the shutter button and just using BBF. AF-ON is my continuous focus and the * is used to jump to a single focus point. In the past I was never a fan of this configuration but, since making this change I have been really please with the results I am getting as long my muscle memory does not override this new setup:)

I found this video to be helpful when I was trying to explain BBF setup on my R7

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Some of the issues with AF I have seen remind me when I went from my EOS R to the R5 back in Aug 2018. The images I was getting with the 45MP R5 were not as sharp as what I was used to on my EOS R, 6D or even my 7D. I recall being frustrated by this because when I was getting sharp images on the R5 they looked great but I just could not get consistent results. For me the light came on after I watched Whistling Wings YouTube.

The issue for me was Pixel Density.

The high pixel density of the R5 when compared to the cameras I had been using for years meant I had to make some changes in the way I was shooting I found that even the smallest of camera\subject movement was having a negative impact on how critically sharp the images appeared when using shutter speeds I was used to using with my older cameras. Once I started to focus on increasing the shutter speed and trusting the camera to deliver VERY usable images with higher ISO's the issues went away.

Last year I ditched the R5 and one of me R6's and got an R3. After using the R3 pretty much 100% of the time for 3 months I pick up an R7 and a RF 100-400 for my wife. Once again I found myself being frustrated with a lot of the images from the R7's 32MP when compared to the R3's 24MP.

This time I pretty much fixed the issues I was having by removing focus start from the shutter button and just using BBF. AF-ON is my continuous focus and the * is used to jump to a single focus point. In the past I was never a fan of this configuration but, since making this change I have been really please with the results I am getting as long my muscle memory does not override this new setup:)

I found this video to be helpful when I was trying to explain BBF setup on my R7

The R5 was announced 9 July 2020. Its pixel density is slightly lower than that of the 7D you were using previously.

Upvote 0
That DSLR was a good training ground in how to handle a high pixel density camera.
Could you please elaborate or point me to some sources of information on how to do that? I see everybody talking about how hard it is to handle high pixel density but no one really explaining how to do it.
I'm a hobbyist photographer, the R7 is just my third interchangeable-lens camera and although I understand the basics for 20 years now, I've been studying and practicing bit harder for just over one year.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Could you please elaborate or point me to some sources of information on how to do that? I see everybody talking about how hard it is to handle high pixel density but no one really explaining how to do it.
I'm a hobbyist photographer, the R7 is just my third interchangeable-lens camera and although I understand the basics for 20 years now, I've been studying and practicing bit harder for just over one year.
For me, it was using faster shutter speeds and use ES where possible, falling back to EFCS where needed. The fully mechanical shutter mode should be ignored.

Dxo and LR do a great job at cleaning up noise at high ISO, ISO 25600 is still usable for me.

And since I’m not the steadiest shooter, the IS improvement from using the RF100-500 instead of the EF100-400 also helped.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If you pixel peep or crop greatly, then you don’t want any shake to blur your image. So, traditionally, you use higher shutter speeds when hand holding, but this has been greatly helped by modern IS and IBIS. Also, you need to avoid shutter shock and mirror slap, which again used to be done by using higher shutter speeds but is now eliminated in mirrorless by using electronic shutter. Cropping and enlarging also increases noise so you have to be more careful to use lower iso but modern software such as DxO Photolab, Topaz Denoise and AI noise reduction have done wonders in reducing noise with minimal loss of detail.

My main hobby is bird photography using telephoto lenses. With the R7 and R5, I use high shutter speeds to minimise the movement of birds during exposure time, trying to keep where possible faster than 1/250 or 1/500s for perched and 1/3200s in flight. Noise at higher iso is easier to deal with than motion blur in cropped images. The R7 also suffers from shutter shock with EFCS with some lenses in bursts at 1/250s or slower speeds as well as in manual so I use ES as far as possible. But avoid rolling shutter.

edit: @koenkooi I wrote this before your post appeared on my computer.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your inputs @AlanF and @koenkooi!
As I still have a lot to learn they are invaluable to me. For instance, I didn't know the term "pixel peep", and the first result I had on a search enlightened me a lot. Comparing R7 and R5 shots at 100% zoom is something I was doing and learned that it is a big mistake!

I'll stop thinking there is something wrong with my camera and try to improve my knowledge and techniques.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your inputs @AlanF and @koenkooi!
As I still have a lot to learn they are invaluable to me. For instance, I didn't know the term "pixel peep", and the first result I had on a search enlightened me a lot. Comparing R7 and R5 shots at 100% zoom is something I was doing and learned that it is a big mistake!

I'll stop thinking there is something wrong with my camera and try to improve my knowledge and techniques.
You are welcome. Passing on information is one of the best things about the net. Interesting link - stack exchange is a mine of information.

Upvote 0
So.... Is Canon going to put right all the faults on the R7 either by a firmware update, or a massive recall and exchange programme or an R7 mk2?
Just asking!!!!
I don't think they can improve the R7, it is more like it has hardware limitations which we have to deal with and set the right expectations.
Watch this video:

I wouldn't mind paying more than twice the price for a better specced hardware, and I really wish Canon would come up with a more professional APS-C camera (R7 MKII Pro?), but sadly that seems unlikely.

Upvote 0
I don't think they can improve the R7, it is more like it has hardware limitations which we have to deal with and set the right expectations.
Watch this video:

I wouldn't mind paying more than twice the price for a better specced hardware, and I really wish Canon would come up with a more professional APS-C camera (R7 MKII Pro?), but sadly that seems unlikely.
I would imagine the next R7, if they make it, will at least have a faster sensor, so should solve it's autofocus issues. I too would have paid whatever they asked for a better spec R7. At least a faster sensor and better shutter would make a world of difference. Would prefer r6 body that would share a battery grip with R6 II. Maybe with more people aware of R7 issues, they might be tempted to update it sooner.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Watch this video:

Thanks for the heads up. It explains why I have been "lucky" in not having AF problems. The R7 is set up for my wife who doesn't like lots of shots to go through. So, I set the C1 mode to have ES at low speed continuous and another mode setting for EFCS at H for things that move. If you know the limitations of the R7, it's a great camera. For nature, it's great for static shots but it's not the best for tricky BIF shots.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Wow. Just this morning I watched Duade Paton's video. I've been considering the R7 to get a few more pixels on smaller birds. For me, bird photography is just something to do while walking for exercise or hiking with the kids, so I don't want to invest $$$ in BIG, HEAVY lenses. I'm generally satisfied with my R5+100-500mm.

Refreshing, and a nice boost of goodwill, to hear that Canon was forthcoming!

After doing the research, the AF issues are the deal breaker for me. Maybe R7 II.

Upvote 0
Wow. Just this morning I watched Duade Paton's video. I've been considering the R7 to get a few more pixels on smaller birds. For me, bird photography is just something to do while walking for exercise or hiking with the kids, so I don't want to invest $$$ in BIG, HEAVY lenses. I'm generally satisfied with my R5+100-500mm.

Refreshing, and a nice boost of goodwill, to hear that Canon was forthcoming!

After doing the research, the AF issues are the deal breaker for me. Maybe R7 II.
I had the 100-500 and R5, then bought an R7. Up until the 200-800 arrived, the R7 and 100-500 was my main rig for birds. Now it's the R5 and 200-800. If the 200-800 is not too heavy, you may want to give it a try!

Upvote 0
I bought a R7 and have used it for about three weeks. So far I've not had any problems with the auto focus. Just like the R5, it sometimes doesn't see a small bird against a busy background or behind twigs and leaves, but depending on the situation, that can be solved by setting the AF-On button to Spot AF or Single Point AF. Canon does mention the small bird situation in the manual.

The tracking easily grabs birds in flight and sticks to them. When I look at them later on my computer, they are in focus.

I'm certainly no pro but my keeper rate is pretty darn good considering my skills aren't pro-level. I've adapted my EF 100-400 II and it works like a charm.
As far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the AF of my R7.

Respectfully, maybe you should try one for yourself.
I have a similar setup - R7 + EF 100-400 II. In addition, I use an EF 500 F/4 I. In general, AF on the R7 is very good, including animal eye tracking. I will say that my R7 seems to struggle in low light (dawn and dusk). In decent light, AF seems to be very good. I've never calculated my keeper rate but in general, I would say at least 80% of my photos are in focus.

After having owned the R7 for about 1 year now, I would say one reason my in-focus rate is decent is because I have developed a sense of under which conditions (i.e. light) I have the best chance of getting a good shot.

If I'm splitting hairs, all things being equal (e.g. light, contrast, etc.) I would say my 7D Mk II AF is [marginally] better. Having said that, the R7 handles high ISO better than 7D Mk II.

I am renting a RF 100-500 this week, just for fun. I guess after using the RF 100-500 I'll be able to determine if RF has better AF capabilities on a R body.

Upvote 0