Filters on tele-zooms

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Sigma users have some kinda conspiracies so we have to vote with our wallets for Qanon?
It doesn't really mean anything. There's some conspiracy theory in USA called QAnon.
Perhaps it landed better the first time, when you typed Qanon. I took it for a phonetic spelling of Kwanon, the goddess from whom Canon took their name. Personally, I’ve voted for Kwanon with my wallet in the best way, by voting early and voting often.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2021
Perhaps it landed better the first time, when you typed Qanon. I took it for a phonetic spelling of Kwanon, the goddess from whom Canon took their name. Personally, I’ve voted for Kwanon with my wallet in the best way, by voting early and voting often.
that would have been better:
If you feel at peace during a long exposure, you can sometimes hear a compassionate voice whisper "99%" a couple times and then, "there will be third part autofocus lenses. Oh, and don't forget to keep meditation and avoid causing suffering but protective lens filters might not be a good idea - use your own judgement... That is all."
Some people say it was Kwanon, but others say it's a Nike to make us buy more shoes...

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Not saying this is the case, but it's possible you had a fake B+W filter. It's been a big problem for B+W and possibly other top brands. I have used the B+W clear filters on numerous lenses and have never noticed a difference with or without. Also using a top level Hoya on my Olympus Telephoto with no noticeable difference in sharpness. I assume you took your shots at the same time under the same atmospheric condition. Maybe the lens makes a difference. Here are shots using an 100-500 zoomed to 500 on my R7 without and with B+W filter. Cell tower about 1/4 mile away. My eye sees no difference. With absolutely no disrespect intended to the poster, my advice to those who read things on the internet and make a decision, it's easy enough to test this yourself. Just make sure you buy your filter from Adorama or B&H, so you get a genuine filter and can return it if it does not work out for you.

View attachment 215331
just hit your reply, and I agree: I never had any sharpness issues with high quality B+W filters on different lenses. I am in the protection filter group, and just yesterday I could sell some used tele lenses for a decent price, because their front lenses were in pristine condition. I also guess that there are a lot cheaply (China?) made fake B+W filters on the market. Here is another argument pro filters: I have one of Canon's older EF 500mm primes which has a built-in protection front glass, and this is a really sharp lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
One never knows when such "harsh environment" may happen.

My wife got the front filter of her RF 100-400 licked by a random dog in the park just a couple of days ago.
Lol :ROFLMAO:! My wife got a scratch on the front lens of her Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 lens when she shot street (carneval), because someone in the wild crowd managed to hit it with tip of his umbrella right through the lens hood which was attached. Since then, she joined me in the "filter on" group.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I have always used B&W Mult-coated clear filters for protection on all of my lenses. Protection the front of my lens is important to me. I recently scratched a 400 mm f2.8 lens and replacing the front element cost me $1000.
This must have been really painful! :eek: Is there any chance to mount a protection filter on such a supertele lens? Never used a 400mm f/2.8 ...

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
This must have been really painful! :eek: Is there any chance to mount a protection filter on such a supertele lens? Never used a 400mm f/2.8 ...
The largest super tele that takes a filter is the Canon RF 100-300 mm f2.8 which takes a 112 mm filter. It was not the cost that bothered me, but my stupidity that lead to the scratch! Live and learn....

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The largest super tele that takes a filter is the Canon RF 100-300 mm f2.8 which takes a 112 mm filter. It was not the cost that bothered me, but my stupidity that lead to the scratch! Live and learn....
When I got my RF 200-800mm past week (finally, ordered it in January), the first thing I did at home was to screw on a 95mm B&W filter. Fortunately it shares the same 95mm front filter thread with my old Tamron 150-600mm G2 that I traded in past week, so I could re-use my expensive filter.

I already presumed that the EF 400mm f/2.8 has no front filter thread, like all fast superteles, but the only ones about which I know that for sure are the 500 and 600mm teles from different generations, because I frequently meet birders with such lenses.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
When I got my RF 200-800mm past week (finally, ordered it in January), the first thing I did at home was to screw on a 95mm B&W filter. Fortunately it shares the same 95mm front filter thread with my old Tamron 150-600mm G2 that I traded in past week, so I could re-use my expensive filter.

I already presumed that the EF 400mm f/2.8 has no front filter thread, like all fast superteles, but the only ones about which I know that for sure are the 500 and 600mm teles from different generations, because I frequently meet birders with such lenses.
My philosophy is simple: Any lens that can take a filter gets a B+W Multi-coated clear filter in front of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012

The hood won't fit over my Marumi filter attached to the lens. Presumably need a slim one. Same on the RF 800/11.

Upvote 0