Goofing around could lead to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What are they?

Or maybe more importantly: Does it matter? In fact, the way that you can't tell is what makes you think... and it allows people to interpret it how they want. It's almost more powerful not knowing what it is. Because once you do (if youre anything like me), is you're going to overanalyze how it was created and imagine how you could recreate it--and you probably can. And then it loses value to you. But would you have thought to create it in the first place?... just some random thoughts

It's ironic to me how many "its not the gear, its the photographer" people there around the internet who ALSO shun anything that isn't a product of accurate exposure and white balance as unartistic... Technique isnt necessarily correlated with receiving attention. It's more effective to put aside your pride and appeal to the public as opposed to pixel peeping photogs. If it's your goal to make photography a career, it couldn't hurt you to embrace that idea. You don't have to agree with or believe me... but if it helps my point, I upgraded from a t2i to a 5d3 w/ $8000 worth of lenses and lighting gear about year after starting (just doing photography on the side along with other things) and never shot a wedding in my life

But... if it's your goal to become a guru-level contributor on CR or doing gear reviews, youre probably better off ignoring that advice haha

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
GuyF said:
For some reason the older I get, the more tolerant I am of abstract works. Must be mellowing in old age :eek:

Anyway, I was just messing about and thought there must be a market for giant "exclusive" prints of this stuff. Either go mass-market and sell zillions via Ikea or print out a couple of 8ft square whoppers to sell to Russian oligarchs for a few million a piece.

Just for fun, what do you think?

I need to get myself a macro lens soon.... ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Jay Khaos said:
The fact that this has been viewed almost 1700 times should be a testament to that concept. If you had opened the thread by announcing what the photos were, half of this activity wouldnt have existed..

Now the question remains unanswered, if people were looking for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ or more interested in goofing around. I was just looking for people goofing around and am quite satified with the result ;).

Upvote 0
crasher8 said:
Try your hand at film. The entire process. THAT is an art and a craft. Any fool can press a button, move a mouse and a slider. I know because I can do it ;) (Both film user and self acclaimed digital fool)

Im also shooting film just dont develop it myself (i guess that was ur point). But i think its a challenge since i cant just post process the hell out of it as easy as with digital.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Dylan777 said:
GuyF said:
For some reason the older I get, the more tolerant I am of abstract works. Must be mellowing in old age :eek:

Anyway, I was just messing about and thought there must be a market for giant "exclusive" prints of this stuff. Either go mass-market and sell zillions via Ikea or print out a couple of 8ft square whoppers to sell to Russian oligarchs for a few million a piece.

Just for fun, what do you think?

I need to get myself a macro lens soon.... ;D ;D ;D
Oh! Do it! Get the 100L. You will not regret it. Unless you want manual focus 5x magnification...

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2011
crasher8 said:
Try your hand at film. The entire process. THAT is an art and a craft. Any fool can press a button, move a mouse and a slider. I know because I can do it ;) (Both film user and self acclaimed digital fool)
+1 to that! I develop black and white film on the floor of my bathroom, and every time it's finished I'm thrilled with the results. It's true that I don't look dignified while I'm doing it though...

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
So now for the big reveal....

First shot is cropped image from 5D3 and Sigma 85mm at f1.4 very de-focused looking at Christmas tree lights. No Photoshop nonsense going on.

Other shot is 5D3 and Tamron 90mm macro looking at the business-end of a hammer. Some points go to those who thought it was a nail. Good guess. No major Photoshopping going on - just convert to B&W and tinted (hardly a quantum leap from what many have done in the darkroom but I did it without spilling chemicals all over the place ;)).

Since this is the abstract forum I expected to see more truly abstract works. Come on people, give us more than an apple core (how abstract was the first post in this forum??) and shots with nothing more than a wonky horizon.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2011
serendipidy said:
OK...I'll bite. Don't know if this counts as abstract or not ???

Rebel XSi, kit 18-55mm @ 18mm; ISO 200; f/5.0 1/160s. Camera jpg altered in Canon's Image Browser.
It doesn't quite fit the definition of abstract art, in that it needs to be something that's not really recognisable for what it is. But as long as we're all having fun I suppose it doesn't matter how you want to define it.

Upvote 0