• New Digic X family processor
  • 8K 60p / 4K 120p video
  • 400MP IBIS Hi-res shot
I thought Canon were going quad pixel with this batch of camera body releases

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What happened to the canonrumorsguy Twitter account? Also, what does this mean:
"Our Editorial director and “Face” of our Canon Rumors property has taken an open ended leave of absence from all things Canon Rumors. At this time we have no immediate plan in place to deal with this unfortunate absence."?

What the hell happened?

Upvote 0
"Our Editorial director and “Face” of our Canon Rumors property has taken an open ended leave of absence from all things Canon Rumors. At this time we have no immediate plan in place to deal with this unfortunate absence."?

What the hell happened?
Maybe a cease & desist order? I wonder if he knew more than he was supposed to, and even though he didn't post it, still got in trouble for insinuating or something... I mean the guy's run a rumors site this long, so it's a little odd that this happened now of all times. Maybe it's unrelated.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I certainly hope that nothing bad has happened, but it seems like overly bad luck that the one week I am regularly checking CR and Twitter for info on Canon that the main source disappears. I guess I just have to wait sit for Canon to let me know what’s going on.

Upvote 0

What the hell happened?
I assume this is the result of the flak after the twitter post (with the boy with the camera at the Seacrest foundation) of the imminent announcements. Some time ago CR Guy quit for a while after threats were made to his family.

I hope all is wel with CR guy.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Quote: "CR Guy quit for a while after threats were made to his family."
And I believed most unhinged fanatics were found in politics or religion...the worst being a combination of both.
One must be absolutely deranged to threaten the author of harmless news and rumors about cameras and lenses.
I too hope the best for CR Guy and look forward to seeing him back soon.

Upvote 0
I wonder if he knew more than he was supposed to, and even though he didn't post it, still got in trouble for insinuating or something... I mean the guy's run a rumors site this long, so it's a little odd that this happened now of all times. Maybe it's unrelated.
I think something like that. He did say he knew stuff that he had to keep for himself to protect the sources. But at the same time he was also hinting, post and confirm details on twitter. Occasionally getting involved in a very passionate discussion. And sometimes only to delete it again shortly after.
To me, Craig has always appeared very controlled on canonrumors site. But on twitter I think he often seemed a bit to impulsive and eager posting. And often getting carried away in discussions (which is very normal and human thing to do). Let's hope he just needs a little break :)

EDIT: Sad to hear, it sounds like health issues. Hope he gets well soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think something like that. He did say he knew stuff that he had to keep for himself to protect the sources. But at the same time he was also hinting, post and confirm details on twitter. Occasionally getting involved in a very passionate discussion. And sometimes only to delete it again shortly after.
To me, Craig has always appeared very controlled on canonrumors site. But on twitter I think he often seemed a bit to impulsive and eager posting. And often getting carried away in discussions (which is very normal and human thing to do). Let's hope he just needs a little break :)

EDIT: Sad to hear, it sounds like health issues. Hope he gets well soon.
That thread has now been deleted. If it is health issues I hope he makes a full recovery soon. I have a feeling it could be legal issues, the twitter page was also deleted recently.

Upvote 0
That's interesting. Why do they do that? At least as many macro subjects are three dimensional as flat; is it inherent in being able to focus that close? The EF 100L has seen a fair amount of use for portraiture but I'm not expert enough in that genre to judge the quality.

If you have a macro subject that is not flat, it doesn't matter as much.

When the field of focus is razor thin due to the short distances involved, a flat field is necessary for any type of flat document reproduction (including test chart images that are what sell lenses these days).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's interesting. Why do they do that? At least as many macro subjects are three dimensional as flat; is it inherent in being able to focus that close? The EF 100L has seen a fair amount of use for portraiture but I'm not expert enough in that genre to judge the quality.

I believe that's more design theory than the reality of every person's usage. Consider two points:

if you have a macro subject that is not flat, it doesn't matter as much - it also doesn't matter that much if you're tightening the aperture or using focus stacking.

Not everyone is so particular about boke - if it saves them from carrying (AND BUYING!) one more lens, I expect it's not a few people willing to use a macro for portraits.

Yes, many use macro lenses for portraiture. You can usually tell by the odd places where things are razor sharp where you don't want them to be, like the shoulder of a sweater or jacket with a textured fabric, hair the same distance as the subject's eyes, or the upholstery underneath and a blanket wrapping a newborn baby. Once you notice them, you can't un-see them. Smart portraitists know they don't always want the image to be razor sharp all the way from one edge of the frame to the other.

Attachments

• 1715741637595.png
    1715741637595.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Yes, many use macro lenses for portraiture. You can usually tell by the odd places where things are razor sharp where you don't want them to be, like the shoulder of a sweater or jacket with a textured fabric, hair the same distance as the subject's eyes, or the upholstery underneath and a blanket wrapping a newborn baby. Once you notice them, you can't un-see them. Smart portraitists know they don't always want the image to be razor sharp all the way from one edge of the frame to the other.
There are ways to get around this issue regardless of what lens is used.

Upvote 0
Nice summary of insights. For me, this is a pretty disappointing cycle of releases. There will be lots of bits for others but I am still hoping for higher MP, wider and faster UWAs and improved DR (even if incremental). It seems the landscape community has been left at the curb for another cycle.

Much of the landscaping community has already abandoned the curb for the greener pastures of AI. No travel, expensive off-road vehicles, camping gear, heavy tripods, etc. necessary.

Upvote 0
There are ways to get around this issue regardless of what lens is used.

"Getting around" a lens that is designed to do something else well is one thing, but it isn't the same as using a lens designed to give images a desired character that is difficult to replicate in post without looking artificial. There's a reason lenses such as the EF 50mm f/1.2L and EF 85mm f/1.2 L were legendary and demanded a high price, even though they could be trashed shooting test charts by lenses such as the EF 85mm f/1.8 that cost a tenth as much. The point of artistic photography is not to clinically reproduce reality, it's to create a new reality.

Upvote 0