How frequently does your R5 freeze/lock up?

How frequently does your R5 freeze/lock up?

• Total voters
I’m so curious about what causes the freezes, it’s so widespread and it’s not the same number of freezes for everybody. Some experience 20 freezes in 15 minutes and some more seldom. And I’ve never ever had a single lock up, so what’s the difference?
I believe its something to do with customisation set ups, but also the firmware version itself, I never had any problems within Ver 1.4, the odd lockup with 1.5 but more with 1.5.1.
I wish I could reset back to 1.4 but EOS utility won't let it happen, it did from 1.5 to go back to 1.4 but not in the latest ver.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’m so curious about what causes the freezes, it’s so widespread and it’s not the same number of freezes for everybody. Some experience 20 freezes in 15 minutes and some more seldom. And I’ve never ever had a single lock up, so what’s the difference?
Define your use of "widespread," and back it up with something other than "A lot of posts."
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Define your use of "widespread," and back it up with something other than "A lot of posts."
Thanks!
If you haven’t been living under a rock since the R5 was released I’d say you already know how widespread this is. The definition of widespread is when Canon releases a firmware to fix it, and use the phrase “in rare cases”.

Upvote 0
If you haven’t been living under a rock since the R5 was released I’d say you already know how widespread this is. The definition of widespread is when Canon releases a firmware to fix it, and use the phrase “in rare cases”.
I don't know what threshold Canon has for responding with a FW update, but, you are right, they took the complaints seriously enough to target the freezing/lockups with a minor update.

But the same posters who complained before 1.5.1 are complaining after it. I'm not sure Canon engineers even knew what they were trying to fix. It seems the variables and the combinations of possible culprits is approaching infinity.

So, my understanding is that your definition of "widespread" is a problem addressed by a FW update. Fair enough, but I'm still curious about the percentages. Supply chain issues may have resulted in some willingness by Canon to go with new sources for parts, and no matter how well engineered or programmed the R5 is, a part that is slightly dodgy, combined with memory cards that are also seeing new sources of parts, and Canon and aftermarket batteries that might or might not be involved...

Fortunately, the problem is not affecting me. That's all I can say with certainty regarding R5 lockups. And I can say with certainty I haven't had any of the AF troubles you've had with pretty much every camera you've had. This should not, however, make me blind or insensitive to the problems others are having.

I'm also curious about whether other brands are going through similar cycles of elusive issues.

Upvote 0
My R5 has never frozen (other than lens errors with my RF70-200) until today. Haven't changed anything (same settings, same SD card, etc.) -- it just happened out of the blue. Turned it on, looked through the EVF and it was black. Took my eye off the EVF and back on, and nothing. Tried turning the camera off, and the top LCD stayed on, with all my shooting settings still showing. Popped out the battery, the camera finally shut down...put the battery back in and turned it on, and it started functioning normally again. I've been on the latest R5 and 100-500 firmware for a while now (updated them as soon as both were released).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still getting an occasional error "writing to card 2" which I fix by powering down, popping the sd card out then reinserting, and moving forward. Am going to update to 1.6 this week but it is such an intermittent problem that I won't know if it matters.

Upvote 0
I've had mine for over a year now and the only freeze was the first time I put my 100-500 on it and got Error 70. That happened once. I think a lot of this is memory card related.
What is the possible relationship with the memory card with this? I just got 2 R5, so far one has done it 3 times in my first outing. I had my 200-400 f.4 with built in 1.4 extender adapted to my camera, wasn't until later I was in Electronic 1st curtain shutter. it would do it at the beginning of my burst, then I shut it down and started and it was fine. But again kept reoccurring. I am still in testing phase and haven't tried all my EF lenses yet to see if this happens and it's only been on one body so far. I should add I was writing to a new prograde CF express 256 type B card.

Upvote 0
What is the possible relationship with the memory card with this? I just got 2 R5, so far one has done it 3 times in my first outing. I had my 200-400 f.4 with built in 1.4 extender adapted to my camera, wasn't until later I was in Electronic 1st curtain shutter. it would do it at the beginning of my burst, then I shut it down and started and it was fine. But again kept reoccurring. I am still in testing phase and haven't tried all my EF lenses yet to see if this happens and it's only been on one body so far. I should add I was writing to a new prograde CF express 256 type B card.
A lot of people have tried to tie it to memory cards, but there is no evidence that there is any relationship. Nor is there any evidence it is related to lenses. In fact, there is no simple or even complex cause and effect relationship, despite what some people think. Some individual cameras seem more prone to it than others. If you have a new camera that does it regularly, I'd suggest a return. At least one forum participant was having issues almost every time they shot. I have had intermittent issues with two R5s (one is my wife's) and one R3. Recent firmware updates seem to have made some improvement, but have not fixed the issue.

It took quite some time, but Canon has apparently now acknowledged the problem exists (based on their attempted firmware fixes) but they have not resolved it. Whatever the cause, it is apparently very difficult to diagnose and correct.

Upvote 0
I've had this issue intermittently with my R3. Using a variety of glass (adapted ef 400 2.8 is, adapted ef 70-200 2.8 ii and rf 70-200 2.8), both before and after firmware updates, gps never on, variety of memory cards. I've learned the freeze lasts about 7-10 seconds when I press a button when it's asleep. I've missed my fair share of shots waiting for it to wake up. Hopefully there will be a fix for this.

Upvote 0
I’ve had this issue with my R6 since I bought it. The first time I sent it to Canon they said there was nothing wrong. The second time I sent it they replaced the logic board. It has now done it again after only a few shots with the new logic board. It’s heading back again tomorrow. I hope they give me a new body. I also had focusing issues until they replaced the board.

Upvote 0