I'm new here

I have been a regular visitor to this site and looked through a lot of the photographs. It appears to be a good network for critique and comments. So I decided to make an account and here are a couple of shots of mine.

Attachments

• Bonobo Monkey.jpg
    Bonobo Monkey.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,346
  • Tribal.jpg
    Tribal.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,350
Hi rpt,

thanks for the interest in my work.

For the monkey the settings were:

Canon 7D with 70 - 200 F4 L USM non IS @ 188 mm
ISO 3200
F4
1/500th

Tribal Girl:

Canon 7D with 70 - 200 F L USM non IS @ 113 mm
ISO 1600
F5.6
1/100th

For both images it was a case of a simple black and white conversion. For the monkey I wanted to highlight the leather texture of his face. To do this was a simple case of sharpening and clarity. For the girl I wanted to bring out the texture again in the make up, pulling and boosting the highlights and shadows. I also have a colour version of the girl if you are interested.

Thanks

Upvote 0
This is by far the best forum I have found, the response rate is incredible!

Here is the colour version of the 'witch doctor' and thanks for the positive comments guys!

@dirtcastle - Thanks for the information on activities, this forum seems to be a brilliant network for some like minded photographers. I'm 19 and was considering studying photography at uni just to get in the right circles of people, but from the sounds of it, there are plenty of peoples brains to pick on here.

Attachments

• IMG_5352 web.jpg
    IMG_5352 web.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 1,134
Upvote 0
Much better in color! I feel a difficult color shot is worth the extra effort. Sometimes B&W is often used as a way to avoid difficult color processing.

If you are motivated, curious, and talented, it probably makes more sense to invest in gear and time, rather than pay people to teach you things you can possibly learn on your own. Plus, gear is expensive on its own. And a few a la carte classes and workshops can go a long way to filling gaps in your experience. If you're in a big city, you can apply to crew for a photographer to learn lighting techniques.

Upvote 0
The scarlet and blue do look lovely in the edited version but personally I still prefer the B&W version. I "see" more of the expression there - the eyes and mouth... Where as in the color version my eyes keep meandering between the two scarlet areas and sometimes to the blue area. Never still and so that does not allow me to "see" the picture. The colors are beautiful though. But then that is probably just me and my love for B&W...

Upvote 0
jmphotography said:
Thank you for all the feedback on these photographs, I really appreciate all the time and effort put in to the comments. I will certainly keep uploading more photographs if this is the response rate you can get!
Wow! Have you not been reading the threads? We the people have a Jeckle and Hyde syndrome. Just visit some of the popular threads ;)

Ok but seriously there is so much collective knowledge here I have enjoyed all the interaction and gained a lot.

Have fun.

Upvote 0
dirtcastle said:
Much better in color! I feel a difficult color shot is worth the extra effort. Sometimes B&W is often used as a way to avoid difficult color processing.

If you are motivated, curious, and talented, it probably makes more sense to invest in gear and time, rather than pay people to teach you things you can possibly learn on your own. Plus, gear is expensive on its own. And a few a la carte classes and workshops can go a long way to filling gaps in your experience. If you're in a big city, you can apply to crew for a photographer to learn lighting techniques.

+1

Upvote 0