image.canon 10GB service will be terminated on October 31, 2024

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It should come as no surprise, but it looks like the end of the image.canon service. With so many photo storage options, the service never really fit. Please take this communication as notice that the long term 10GB storage service will be terminated on October 31, 2024. If you have original images in 10GB storage,

See full article...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Nikon is killing their equivalent service as well, if I remember correctly.
Most camera manufacturers have poured only lukewarm efforts in integrating their cameras with online services, so it is not surprising to see them failing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I feel bad for those affected by the termination of this service. All four of you.
Thanks, I'm not sure how I'll store my huge collection of 10 gb photos after this. I know! Throw a fit and sell all my canon things and buy sony. Then I'll post something about how I am so much happier I am now that I changed manufacturers and lost 30 to 50% in the process, but I showed Canon for sure!"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
Thanks, I'm not sure how I'll store my huge collection of 10 gb photos after this. I know! Throw a fit and sell all my canon things and buy sony. Then I'll post something about how I am so much happier I am now that I changed manufacturers and lost 30 to 50% in the process, but I showed Canon for sure!"
10GB to be a huge collection?
This service is obsolet for any serious photographer having TBs of files
Not to mention videographers having X0TBs of files.

Be happy with Sony (but I am sure you will go on posting here)

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
image.canon makes sense only as a bridge to other destinations - the "long term" storage was useless. A bridge does make sense, Canon cameras needs only to be able to push photos to image.canon, and the software there can be kept up-to-date with the APIs of the destination services without requiring updates to the cameras firmware. Since none of those services uses a standard protocol to update images, it's much simpler that way.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
And don't you forget, Soni has plenty more DR, native 250 ISO (Canon having only ridiculous 100 ISO), a revolutionary global shutter, superb ergonomics, all the wonderful 3rd. party lenses etc...
No matter how much money you lose jumping ship, you will be the happy winner!
My God, how I already envy you! (y)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Has anyone set up FTP transfer with the connect app to a QNAP NAS?

I don't know if it's practical,... but it'd be nice to travel without a laptop.
I have not. Great question, though.

After perusing this:

...in the absence of a laptop, I think I'd first consider off-loading travel images to a large capacity iPad (for Apple folks)!:

But I know what you mean about traveling without a laptop...starting with an Apple Portable (1990s)...I'm down to a Dell XPS 13--skinny, lightweight and powerful enough (just like my M6MkII ;))...

Upvote 0
I used to travel to abroad, take a bunch of snapshots while walking with my wife and then dump favorite images to my phone so it would automatically upload them to the google photos. Raw's would be dealt with after I come back home but in the meantime, I can share these photos with my wife, friends, etc while we take a break.

Image.canon couldn't help to ease this process. 1) Camera needs to be a wifi source - this is dumb. The phone would drop the wifi if it doesn't provide internet. 2) UI/UX in cameras was made for the people who want to have joystick, comfortable grip, pinky huinky... Mobile app for these guys (ALL THE REVIEWERS) is not the priority. 3) camera can't save your credentials for image.canon. If you turn it off, the settings are gone. There is no way to store them on sdcard or the phone. 4) No integration with existing major clouds. So you would need to buy a storage from canon. Maybe it would be better if they would just use apple, google or amazon api for the storage? 5) Your camera needs to be turned on while it tries to upload a 40mb raw. The phone on the other hand can upload photos effortlessly, staying in the pocket. You don't need to do anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Has anyone set up FTP transfer with the connect app to a QNAP NAS?

I don't know if it's practical,... but it'd be nice to travel without a laptop.
That would be convenient. I have a QNAP NAS and connect to it remotely, but I haven’t tried transferring photos (no need for me, I never travel without a laptop; my concession is that on vacation I take a 13” MacBook Pro instead of my usual 16” version.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have not. Great question, though.

After perusing this:

...in the absence of a laptop, I think I'd first consider off-loading travel images to a large capacity iPad (for Apple folks)!:

But I know what you mean about traveling without a laptop...starting with an Apple Portable (1990s)...I'm down to a Dell XPS 13--skinny, lightweight and powerful enough (just like my M6MkII ;))...

I'm going to set it up today and see what's what. I'll follow-up after I fumble around for hours trying to make it work.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm going to set it up today and see what's what. I'll follow-up after I fumble around for hours trying to make it work.
Keep in mind that FTP-non-S will send your login credentials in plain text over the network, be mindful of that if you are planning to expose the FTP port to the internet for shooting on location.

I was really far along with setting up FTPS before I realized that the R5 needs the overpriced wifi grip (still a single battery for the camera!) to make that work :/

Upvote 0
With a QNAP NAS, your only real option for non-laptop travel is to have a beefy Android phone or tablet (large number of CPU cores and large amount of RAM) loaded with a large-capacity microSD card (512GB-1.5TB) for dumping pics/video, via WiFi or connecting the device to a USB card reader that works with whatever card your camera uses. Later, you can connect the phone or tablet to a high-speed WiFi network and use the Qfile Pro app to upload your files to the NAS, while the phone or tablet is plugged into a high-powered charger for full power and performance during uploading. When you know your files are uploaded, you can wipe them from the microSD card and repeat as needed.

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
I feel bad for those affected by the termination of this service. All four of you.
Luckily I have all my images from 2007 onward on paid Flickr service. Image.canon I have used only once for sharing photos of company event as it was not blocked at the time, but 10GB really is not that much space nowadays

Upvote 0