Interview With Canon at CP+

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
DPReview had the opportunity to sit down with Mr. Go Tokura, Group Executive ICP Group 2, Image Communications Products Operations, Canon Inc. and talk all things Canon imaging.</p>
<p>I’ve highlighted a couple of questions from the interview that I think are of the most importance:</p>
<p><strong>What is your strategy for growth in this changed market? What do you need to do to differentiate?</strong></p>
<p><em>“One of the differences between us and our competition is the EF lens lineup. We have a very broad base of EF lens users and we don’t want to do anything that would sacrifice their loyalty, so it’s a very high priority for us to satisfy their needs and meet their demands. </em></p>
<p><em>With regard to the overall market, maybe there’s a lack of vigor and it could be viewed as shrinking. Looking at the compact camera market, the bottom end is dropping considerably and the competition is smartphones. Smartphones offer a very easy, convenient way of taking photos. However in the high-end compact segment, at the high end there are cameras that offer functions and performance that smartphones cannot compete with and here we’re seeing growth. So in the compact market, offering features that smartphones cannot compete with is a way of differentiating and invigorating the market. “</em></p>
<p><strong>If we assume that at some point in the future Canon will create an enthusiast or professional mirrorless camera, what are your benchmarks?</strong></p>
<p><em>“This is just my personal opinion. In my view there are two key features that have to be addressed. The first is autofocus, particularly tracking of moving subjects. The other is the viewfinder. The electronic viewfinder would have to offer a certain standard. If those two functions were to match the performance of EOS DSLR camera performance, we might make the switch.</em></p>
<p><em>Tremendous progress has been made in electronic systems.  However in terms of AF, pro-level AF functions, and the range of shooting situations that professional photographers can respond to, there’s still a gap between DSLRs and mirrorless systems.” <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/interviews/0533836703/cp-plus-canon-interview-important-to-increase-development-speed" target="_blank">Read the full interview at DPReview</a></em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Nice to see some validation from a Canon exec on what is happening to the dedicated still camera market as a whole and mirrorless camera.

I have used EVFs from Leica, Sony and Fuji. Among the 3 the best one I have used so far is from Leica. Sony is 2nd best while Fuji's just plain unusable for my delicate eyes.

Now, my forecast for the point & shoot, SLR and mirrorless market is that they will eventually settle at having 33% market share each in the long term term.

In the long term I expect point & shoots will succumb to smartphone innovations in improved AF and image quality

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
dolina said:
Nice to see some validation from a Canon exec on what is happening to the dedicated still camera market as a whole and mirrorless camera.

I have used EVFs from Leica, Sony and Fuji. Among the 3 the best one I have used so far is from Leica. Sony is 2nd best while Fuji's just plain unusable for my delicate eyes.

Now, my forecast for the point & shoot, SLR and mirrorless market is that they will eventually settle at having 33% market share each in the long term term.

In the long term I expect point & shoots will succumb to smartphone innovations in improved AF and image quality

I thought the EVF on the Leica Q was good, then I made the mistake of looking at the Leica SL... wow.

Upvote 0
Nothing of interest in that interview. Compare this to the honesty from Fuji or Sony when they do interviews. Canikon interviews are so devoid of detail it's painful to read through. They can give more detail without giving too much away. If any company needs to give certainty to waivering followers it's Canon and this does nothing to help, especially if you are a mirrorless fan. The talk of waiting until EVF improve enough to use them will be news to the other manufacturers and current mirrorless users.

Upvote 0
"[Canon:] Increasing resolution and increasing sensitivity are ongoing objectives and that’s not going to change, but on top of that, as I’ve mentioned there’s an emphasis on merging stills and movie functions".

The emphasis depends on the specific model. One has high resolution the other does not, one has strong video the other not, etc. Merging stills and movies (as in extracting stills from movies) not my kind of photography though.

Upvote 0
Woody said:
I find the comments from Canon rep about AF and Viewfinder differences between SLR and MILC cameras interesting.

My question to fellow forum members is this: do your personal experiences agree with his criticisms?
He has valid points and I use a a7R II with E mount and EF mount lenses.

It's great for stationary objects but ask it to move a bit and it's hit or miss.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I found the comments about sensor performance and mirrorless "interesting".

Increased resolution (as if 50MP is not enough) and sensitivity. Wonder if they mean low light or improved DR. Not clear.

Also the claim that a mirrorless camera needs to match professional standards (1Dx and for AF and EVF). The 5DS/SR could have been a mirrorless. If Canon positioned the camera as high MP for landscape, nature, portrait, wedding they would have a done well with it.

Upvote 0
Frankly this interview reads as if it was done by email, or at the very least done totally to script. Nothing wrong with that but there were not many follow up questions on some of the comments made by Tokura San.

I also found it strange how the interviewee labelled the 1D-series as semi-professional: "As you develop semi-professional lines like the EOS 5D and 1D-series"

Mind you, there is only ever going to be so much you can get out of an interview and there were some interesting points made.

Upvote 0
This interview was a disappointment to read. Sigma has been releasing cameras and lenses which bring actual excitement. The wide angle foveon (dp0) is the best thing for architecture photography in the past several years, and still no multilayer sensor from Canon.

Over ten years with Canon, and for me, nothing substantive since the introduction of the TS-E 17mm. Meanwhile, Sigma introduces a new APS-H DSLR: http://sigma-rumors.com/2016/02/sigma-sd-quattro-sd-quattro-h/

Upvote 0
George D. said:
With extreme ISO, extreme fps, slomo, 4K/8K and the likes I wonder how Canon isn't in the drone business yet. Obviously, it's not about the usual specs anymore, it's how to capture images from a different perspective.
Canon missed the boat with smartphones and to an extent tablets.

Sony's image sensor business makes up the top half the mobile device market.

I am thankful Sony's not investing more R&D money into Minolta mount and instead on the E mount.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
Canon Rumors Premium
I'm a simple guy.

go for it. Get the mirrorless up and running. Get it tops in reviews and world class. Make it the best. When it starts to get close, I'm in.

In the mean time, keep the DSLR's with mirrors improving in terms of IQ, DR, fps, and some other goodies like maybe a gps, etc., whatever, while keeping it financially possible for the regular man. Also, keep the improvements to lenses. I'm happy. Mirrorless fans are happy. DSLR-video people are happy.

sek

Upvote 0
dolina said:
George D. said:
With extreme ISO, extreme fps, slomo, 4K/8K and the likes I wonder how Canon isn't in the drone business yet. Obviously, it's not about the usual specs anymore, it's how to capture images from a different perspective.
Canon missed the boat with smartphones and to an extent tablets.

Sony's image sensor business makes up the top half the mobile device market.

I am thankful Sony's not investing more R&D money into Minolta mount and instead on the E mount.

The recent Leica-HUAWEI smartphone partnership announcement shows Canon indeed have a "broad base of EF lenses" but "the differences between Canon and competition" is they keep it (optics that is) to themselves.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Hi,
noncho said:
There are no fast EF-M lenses 4 years after M launch. The bodies are 2-3 years behind the competition. Canon are not even trying to make good mirrorless...
The question is why you need fast EF-M prime when your already had fast EF lens which also can be use on the M?

IMHO, current mirrorless camera do not have a clear distinct advantage over current DSLR, but there is one clear distinct disadvantage for mirrorless camera: battery life. For example, on a DSLR, you can look through the viewfinder as long as you like without using much power from the battery... you need a lot of batteries to do the same on a mirrorless camera.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 22, 2012
Some interesting if vague comments in that article.
Canon waiting for focussing and quality of EVF to improve seems a risky strategy.

I've just spend 10 days shooting in Iceland.
It's the longest I've spent continuously shooting.
It certainly gave me time to think about what is lacking in current DSLR's.
In bright sunlight it's impossible to see the screen at the back of the camera.
(I should have brought a loupe but they are cumbersome and another accessory to bring)
EVF for the playback of the photograph would be very useful.
I have this on a Fuji X100s and it's good.
The other thing is ND filters and graduated filters are a very cumbersome and delicate way to control light to the camera.
It's a pity cameras can't do this somehow cleverly within the camera body.
Some cameras do have a drop in filter but I can't help think that it could be done electronically too.
Maybe it's very complex to do but couldn't individual pixels turn off gathering light when they get close to full or if you set the exposure manually to 30sec that the camera ensures no point in the photograph is too dark or too light by turning on an off pixels.
(Could Lee also make their glass filters out of a shatterproof glass - they are so delicate. It's not fun seeing them break in the smallest of falls)
After 10 days of shooting you also realise just how heavy Canon DSLR cameras and L lenses are.
Other than that my Canon cameras performed really well in tough and often wet conditions. A built in windscreen wiper for the lens would have a been a help too ;D

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Hector1970 said:
Canon waiting for focussing and quality of EVF to improve seems a risky strategy.

It's the longest I've spent continuously shooting.
It certainly gave me time to think about what is lacking in current DSLR's.
In bright sunlight it's impossible to see the screen at the back of the camera.
(I should have brought a loupe but they are cumbersome and another accessory to bring)
EVF for the playback of the photograph would be very useful.
I have this on a Fuji X100s and it's good.
The other thing is ND filters and graduated filters are a very cumbersome and delicate way to control light to the camera.
Some cameras do have a drop in filter but I can't help think that it could be done electronically too.
Maybe it's very complex to do but couldn't individual pixels turn off gathering light when they get close to full or if you set the exposure manually to 30sec that the camera ensures no point in the photograph is too dark or too light by turning on an off pixels.
(Could Lee also make their glass filters out of a shatterproof glass - they are so delicate. It's not fun seeing them break in the smallest of falls)
After 10 days of shooting you also realise just how heavy Canon DSLR cameras and L lenses are.
Other than that my Canon cameras performed really well in tough and often wet conditions. A built in windscreen wiper for the lens would have a been a help too ;D

Interesting insight as I plan a 'polar expedition' of my own.

I note that a few of the new 1" sensor compacts have a built-in ND filter. I thought your x100s also had a built in ND? http://www.finepix-x100.com/en/story/lens-2

On the filters breaking, you could look at Sigma's new ceramic glass filters http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_81&product_id=469

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
Woody said:
I find the comments from Canon rep about AF and Viewfinder differences between SLR and MILC cameras interesting.

My question to fellow forum members is this: do your personal experiences agree with his criticisms?

Very good question. I am sure many have or will comment on this.
But Canon should release a pro-ish mirrorless body that uses EF lenses. Heck with all this adapter mess.
I think Canon's AF system while still a little slow, its very accurate though..
Few months back my 70D main board fried and I got it back a few weeks ago. However TTVF AF is now wacked.. Its focusing is all messed up. So I been using Live View. I have to admit though, over the weekend I did a photo shoot for some portfolio shots for an upcoming model and we took 189 photos in about an hour or so time. Only 1 photo missed focus and it was really really close. The models hair just happen to get in the way of one of the her eyes, so even that was not really the cameras fault. But damn only 1 missed focus.. That to me is wonderful.. I am just going to keep using my 70D like this till the 80D hits the store shelf here, then send my 70D back in for repair.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
Hector1970 said:

Some of the Powershot G series camera do or did have built in ND. My older G12 does. Wished they just made the camera so you could lower the ISO to like 12, it would give the same result as a 3 stop ND..

Yea they are heavy, even more so when you out of shape. This is one of the main reasons I been sticking with my 70D. But I do avoid the cold. .LOL

Upvote 0