Lens price gap

Has anyone noticed the price gap in Canon lenses? I'm using list prices, but it might be slightly out of date.

Prices start at $125.99 for the 50mm f/1.8 II. From there prices go up in a steady fashion up through the ef 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM @ $2689.00. Within this range, the gaps in prices are generally between $25 to $50 at the cheaper end and reaching $75 to $150 at the upper end.

The next lens is the price order is EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM @$4879.00. A gap of about $1100. Aren't there any other desirable lenses that fit in this range. Should there be more lenses in this gap? Is there a phych reason for leaving this gap between "working lenses" and the uber fast high zoom primes?

Personally I'd like to see a few more lenses covering different ranges. For example, the 24-70 and the 70-200 are great, but why isn't there one in the middle? Why not a 50-150L f2.8 IS? There are times I'm very annoyed because I don't like switching lenses in the field unless I can find somewhere clean (no where is clean at a dog show...dog hair, its a free floating condiment). The 24-70 is short, the 70-200 is long, and I don't always want to carry multiple bodies, or I want a fixed lens for specific use (portaits/etc). Sure, I could use the 24-300, but its not 2.8 which is needed for indoor action shots and the images aren't as good....not to mention I haven't bought one yet.

Just my two cents. Anybody else got change?

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Similar trend in bodies, although obviously fewer data points. Climbing incrementally up from the T3/1100D to the 7D, a small gap to the 5DII, then a big gap to the 1DIV - and interestingly, it's the same gap...from ~$2500 to ~$5000.

1-series bodies and supertelephoto primes are definitely aimed at a different target market than anything in the sub-$2600 range.

Upvote 0
CanineCandidsByL said:
Is there a phych reason for leaving this gap between "working lenses" and the uber fast high zoom primes?

These are all big telephoto primes. My guess is that the factors are that they are more expensive to make and they are specialty items (not very many are willing to pay much for them). Basic supply and demand.

Personally I'd like to see a few more lenses covering different ranges. For example, the 24-70 and the 70-200 are great, but why isn't there one in the middle? Why not a 50-150L f2.8 IS?

Sigma and Tokina used to make 50-150 f/2.8 and 50-135mm f/2.8 lenses respectively. Both are discontinued because they didn't sell very well, but I'd imagine you could get them second hand at a decent price.

There are times I'm very annoyed because I don't like switching lenses in the field unless I can find somewhere clean (no where is clean at a dog show...dog hair, its a free floating condiment). The 24-70 is short, the 70-200 is long, and I don't always want to carry multiple bodies, or I want a fixed lens for specific use (portaits/etc). Sure, I could use the 24-300, but its not 2.8 which is needed for indoor action shots and the images aren't as good....not to mention I haven't bought one yet.

[/quote]

Upvote 0
elflord said:
CanineCandidsByL said:
There are times I'm very annoyed because I don't like switching lenses in the field unless I can find somewhere clean (no where is clean at a dog show...dog hair, its a free floating condiment). The 24-70 is short, the 70-200 is long, and I don't always want to carry multiple bodies, or I want a fixed lens for specific use (portaits/etc). Sure, I could use the 24-300, but its not 2.8 which is needed for indoor action shots and the images aren't as good....not to mention I haven't bought one yet.

maybe diverging from topic... but I use 2 bodies so i don't have to change lenses, more for speed than dust issues though...

Upvote 0