MACRO EF LENS VS CLOSE UP LENS

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
The quality and convenience of a true macro lens are worth it, IMO. With a close-up filter, you are limited to a specific working distance (250mm = 10" or 500mm = 20" for the 250D or 500D, respectively). The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 is a very nice macro lens, and also works very well for portraits (with the relatively fast f/2.8 aperture).

Upvote 0
T

thejoyofsobe

with your existing collection of lenses i'd go the EF-S 60mm Macro route as well.

however if you were just looking to dabble in macro AND already had a fast, wide-to-normal prime then a set of Kenko extension tubes wouldn't have been a bad idea, especially with how cheap you can rent them so you could try before you buy. even though with certain focal length/extension tube combinations can get you greater than 1:1 they still don't beat a good dedicated macro for speed and convenience. however give me extension tubes any day before close up lenses.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2011
I also recomend the 60mm prime. It's faster than what you already have, the image quality is worth the money and [in my opinion] any prime is fun to use.

TexPhoto said:
mr.ranger said:
this should complete my set of lens...

A lens collection is never complete.

Agree so far but...

TexPhoto said:
There is always just one more that you need.

There's always just one more that you want.

Upvote 0
K

kirillica

mr.ranger said:
HI SO LOOKING TO GET A MACRO LENS, I HAVE A 60D WITH THE 18-135 KIT LENS AND A EF 70-300 LENS AS WELL I WAS LOOKING AT THE EF 60MM MACRO LENS. BUT I SAW THEY HAVE A THE SCREW IN CLOSE UP LENS ARE THESE LENS THAT GREAT OR IS WORTH IT SPEND MORE MONEY GO FOR THE 60MM MACRO LENS.
You'd better cut off your finger to stop holding Caps Lock key...

Upvote 0
M

mr.ranger

neuroanatomist said:
kirillica said:
You'd better cut off your finger to stop holding Caps Lock key...

Or maybe take a typing class to understand that the whole point of Caps LOCK is that you don't have to hold the key down?

no need for typing class i tend to hit the caps key a lot when i reach for the a buttton....
and yes a collection is never done but for lens for differant uses i need to get things done yes.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
A closeup lens can be a good solution, but the lenses you mention are not the best for use with one. Use one on a prime lens. They do a good job, but are very tedious to use, your focus will be difficult, and is best done by moving the camera toward or away from the object, and that means a expensive macro rack system.

Upvote 0