Opinion: EOS-M transition that never was

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
It’s surprisingly difficult to find a short word that’s easily pronounced in over 100 languages, yet not offensive in any of them.
I would settle for long and pronounceable. Heck, tetramethyldiaminotriphenylmethane isn't that hard to pronounce and it is a challenger for the longest word in English, but when a name is replete with x's that sound like z's and syllables that don't flow it just gets silly. A couple of examples Idarucizumab and Isavuconazonium Sulfate. The sulphate part is easy. The rest, not so much. Maybe the biggest problem is that names pulled out of thin air with no classical language (e.g. Latin or Greek) root give the reader no clue to the syllabic structure. Hyphens and accent symbols would help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
A general comment that the US does seem to be behind other countries when it comes to implementing general technology eg paper checks for payments vs bank transfer.
It seems common that Americans don't have a PIN for their credit card. Requiring signatures in the US (even if digitally recorded) seems quaint. Needing cash has long gone in Australia but still needed in the US (tipping?).
Is it just my impression as a foreigner or am I missing something?

Local pharmacy scripts are now a QR code sent to phones from doctors and telehealth appointments are very common (if appropriate) with annual appointments in person.
20+ years ago, real time bank balance updates couldn't be done in Belgium but were in Australia. Now we have real time bank transfers using your phone number (payID) avoiding avoiding the need to share bank account numbers.
Cash isn't needed for tipping in the US. You simply add the tip to the CC invoice. Some Credit Cards have intrinsic PINs for all transactions and all have PINs for cash withdrawals. All debit cards have intrinsic PINs. Prescriptions are sent electronically directly to your pharmacy of choice and all you need is name and date of birth to pick them up (no need for a phone).

OTOH, Americans do still value cash because in case of a system failure (e.g. Internet down -locally or globally), cash is the only way to buy anything and also there a some things you might want to buy that you don't want prying eyes to know about. In the event of an EMP, a completely electronic world is a total disaster.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
A general comment that the US does seem to be behind other countries when it comes to implementing general technology eg paper checks for payments vs bank transfer.
It seems common that Americans don't have a PIN for their credit card. Requiring signatures in the US (even if digitally recorded) seems quaint. Needing cash has long gone in Australia but still needed in the US (tipping?).
Is it just my impression as a foreigner or am I missing something?

Local pharmacy scripts are now a QR code sent to phones from doctors and telehealth appointments are very common (if appropriate) with annual appointments in person.
20+ years ago, real time bank balance updates couldn't be done in Belgium but were in Australia. Now we have real time bank transfers using your phone number (payID) avoiding avoiding the need to share bank account numbers.
I've never had a PIN for a credit card, but all my bank cards have it. maybe 50% of businesses still want a signature in the US. You don't need cash for tipping (you can have it added to your credit or debit card's payment), although it is appreciated.

Upvote 0
What if you want to look stylish?! :p
I think that this is the issue my wife has with it..... the internal pocket vest are more stylish compared the "fishing vest" option with outside pockets.
I've dropped 10kgs this year (personal project/goal) but don't get additional luggage allowance. I read an article saying that if all air travellers dropped a couple of kilos then the fuel savings to the industry would be in the billions (but not passed through to customers of course!). Fuel surcharges are all the rage these days.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I've never had a PIN for a credit card, but all my bank cards have it. maybe 50% of businesses still want a signature in the US. You don't need cash for tipping (you can have it added to your credit or debit card's payment), although it is appreciated.
Same, except I haven’t had to sign for a transaction in a couple of years. Credit cards, no PIN. Debit cards have a PIN, but at checkout you can use it or not (in the latter case, it’s processed as a credit transaction that really only matters to the merchant since they pay a higher rate for credit than for debit transactions).

Personally, I use my Apple Watch to pay with either type of card. In some US states (not mine), a driver’s license can be stored on a phone/watch meaning a wallet/purse is no longer needed.

I remember paying with these:

IMG_9237.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Cash isn't needed for tipping in the US. You simply add the tip to the CC invoice.
I understand where there is an invoice although the 'recommended" tip seems to be outrageous to our sensibilities. Locally we are seeing options when paying to add a tip which doesn't seem right to me as they are paid a reasonable salary.
Help me out here with the US tipping customs but what happens with non invoice related tips eg bellhops, concierge, tour operators etc? Aussies just carry their own luggage which must annoy them.

OTOH, Americans do still value cash because in case of a system failure (e.g. Internet down -locally or globally), cash is the only way to buy anything and also there a some things you might want to buy that you don't want prying eyes to know about. In the event of an EMP, a completely electronic world is a total disaster.
I don't think that cash is gone... eg if I buy/sell a lens second hand, I will always insist on cash straight out of a machine as there are too many scams but I haven't carried cash for years now.
If there is a widespread system breakdown, cash is only good if the government backs it and people believe that the piece of plastic (our cash are plastic notes not made of paper) has an intrinsic value. The gold standard went a long time ago so bartering would be the only solution there.
Regarding prying eyes.... I think that it says something about the people.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Same. Credit cards, no PIN. Debit cards have a PIN, but at checkout you can use it or not (in the latter case, it’s processed as a credit transaction that really only matters to the merchant since they pay a higher rate for credit than for debit transactions).

Personally, I use my Apple Watch to pay with either type of card. In some US states (not mine), a driver’s license can be stored on a phone/watch meaning a wallet/purse is no longer needed.
I was really suppressed the first time I found out my debit card could be used as credit with no PIN - defeats the purpose, right?

I didn't know about keeping a driver's licensee in the phone. It seems like it could be forged by kids wanting to buy beer.

Upvote 0
We can have digital drivers licenses but when checked (eg random breath testing), we need the police's approval to touch our phone to show them as it is highly illegal to use phones whilst driving. The other problem is that overseas rental car companies don't like them vs the physical ones so I have both.

I remember paying with these:

View attachment 212434
I worked in retail at the time and the number of cards that were broken with these machines was way too high. Getting a good imprint was also tricky. The associated admin was painful

Upvote 0
Depends who's watching and their motivations. "If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" is predicated on authorities being trustworthy themselves, which is not a given.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Can you use your bank cards for transactions outside of the US?
I believe so, but there's extra fees added so it's better to find a credit card with no or low international fees.

About the food service industry, the restaurants and bars are somehow allowed to pay them less than normal employees like the cooks have a normal minimum wage. Tipping is always optional, but I wouldn't go back if you don't tip. Some people will not be pleasant...

For non-invoice jobs, I actually don't know. I try to carry cash when I travel for tipping some of these people, but I also don't see most people tipping them anymore. I do it less often now and just for the the people who did more for me than most employees would have.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I typically use cash at small/independent businesses. The 3% they lose on credit card transactions is hard on them. There’s a popular local pizza place that only takes cash.
I don't know any cash only businesses where I live. I'm sure the other small businesses really appreciate you thinking about them, too.

Upvote 0
I typically use cash at small/independent businesses. The 3% they lose on credit card transactions is hard on them. There’s a popular local pizza place that only takes cash.
Australia allows the "reasonable" merchant fee costs to the retailer to be passed through to the end customer at the point of sale and disclosed up front. This isn't a tax.
The fees vary widely... most larger private businesses don't pass them through, others range from 0.8% to ~3%. Some appear higher than they should be though.
Amex/Diners fees are significantly higher and not widely accepted.
Debit cards/cash are zero of course so there is always that option.

Upvote 0
I believe so, but there's extra fees added so it's better to find a credit card with no or low international fees.
Credit card companies always make money on international (cross-currency) transactions. The "no-fee" (like "co-commission" money changers) is correct but the exchange rate isn't great eg the mid-market rate that you see is generally +/- 3% for the buy/sell spread for credit cards.
Always get charged in the local currency or the retailer will use their own rate which is never as good as the credit card.

Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
Instead of getting rid of my M equipment, I'm actually doubling down and picking up more M stuff. As other posters already said, the RF-S system isn't anywhere near as compact and therefore for my needs, it's not an adequate substitute. As long as the equipment works, I'll continue to use it.
I just picked up a used EF-M 11-22mm IS at a pretty decent price. I don't have a lot of use for it and would have difficulty justifying the cost, but I would like to get the 32mm f/1.4 someday. It occasionally shows up in Canon's refurbished store for significantly below the price for a new one, so I may just snag one there the next time it comes around.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Credit card companies always make money on international (cross-currency) transactions. The "no-fee" (like "co-commission" money changers) is correct but the exchange rate isn't great eg the mid-market rate that you see is generally +/- 3% for the buy/sell spread for credit cards.
Always get charged in the local currency or the retailer will use their own rate which is never as good as the credit card.
I'll try to remember this for my next international trip. I know the currency exchange companies seem to take more than is necessary, but I don't remember how much more.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
I understand where there is an invoice although the 'recommended" tip seems to be outrageous to our sensibilities. Locally we are seeing options when paying to add a tip which doesn't seem right to me as they are paid a reasonable salary.
Help me out here with the US tipping customs but what happens with non invoice related tips eg bellhops, concierge, tour operators etc? Aussies just carry their own luggage which must annoy them.
Most mainstream hotels don't even have bellhops, etc. anymore. The very high end ones are still full service and I have no idea how the folks that are willing to pay $1k to 20k per night treat the help. For those prices, everything should be included.
I don't think that cash is gone... eg if I buy/sell a lens second hand, I will always insist on cash straight out of a machine as there are too many scams but I haven't carried cash for years now.
If there is a widespread system breakdown, cash is only good if the government backs it and people believe that the piece of plastic (our cash are plastic notes not made of paper) has an intrinsic value. The gold standard went a long time ago so bartering would be the only solution there.
Even in a complete system breakdown, I think cash will work for a while because people are accustomed to taking it. Gold would be useless because no one would believe it was gold. After the first week, or so, then I agree that barter would be the only choice for trade. OTOH, in localized system failures like those caused by extreme weather, earthquakes, etc., cash is extremely useful. As to prying eyes, I was referring to the government, which many folks are losing trust in and, given some of the stuff I have read about going on in Oz, you should have at least as much concern on that front, if not more.

Upvote 0