Opinion: The difficulty facing Canon (and everyone else)

Great article, Richard, and thanks for speaking up for the community. I'll add one more concern about travelling with camera gear: theft.

Cameras have no anti-theft technology and they're expensive and easy to resell, so photographers have become a profitable target. In the past couple of months, I've had two friends get robbed of their camera gear while travelling outside the US. Even with insurance, it's a huge hassle because you generally need to file a police report in a foreign country and pay a deductible. And, of course, you lose your gear and any pictures you hadn't backed up. The thief now has access to your photos & videos, so hope there was nothing private or confidential on there.

For the first time in about 25 years I'm pondering not bringing a conventional camera on an overseas trip. Maybe my iPhone really is the right tool for this situation. Will the difference in quality or experience make up for the stress I might feel about potentially being a victim of crime?

Friends often want to get their first camera for a planned trip. If I recommend a conventional ILC camera, sharing images will be much more difficult, there will be a steep learning curve with the clumsy apps and archaic menus, and I'll need to lecture them about the additional crime risk. More and more the right recommendation becomes just picking up a new "Pro" smartphone.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
One thing that caught my attention in the article...was the mention of how much weight was allowed in carry ons....
In my entire life living in the US, I have NEVER come across or heard of any airline weighing your carry on items?!?!?
In the USA you could carry a small fridge as your carry-on and you'd be fine. I swear that I've seen one.

I believe it's just size limited in the US for most carriers, and even then the size constraints are bigger for the domestic USA than almost everywhere else.

The rest of the world.. is a little different ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It all comes down to perspective.

I’m happy with Canons lineup in lenses and bodies.

It all depends on your intended use case. Wether it’s using your camera/smartphone for leisure, wedding, portrait/family, event, sports, wildlife, landscape, etc.

There will always be a need for big fast zoom/primes and the most technologically advanced bodies as it helps create a better shot in the moment.

Upvote 0
Great article, Richard, and thanks for speaking up for the community. I'll add one more concern about travelling with camera gear: theft.

Cameras have no anti-theft technology and they're expensive and easy to resell, so photographers have become a profitable target. In the past couple of months, I've had two friends get robbed of their camera gear while travelling outside the US. Even with insurance, it's a huge hassle because you generally need to file a police report in a foreign country and pay a deductible. And, of course, you lose your gear and any pictures you hadn't backed up. The thief now has access to your photos & videos, so hope there was nothing private or confidential on there.

For the first time in about 25 years I'm pondering not bringing a conventional camera on an overseas trip. Maybe my iPhone really is the right tool for this situation. Will the difference in quality or experience make up for the stress I might feel about potentially being a victim of crime?

Friends often want to get their first camera for a planned trip. If I recommend a conventional ILC camera, sharing images will be much more difficult, there will be a steep learning curve with the clumsy apps and archaic menus, and I'll need to lecture them about the additional crime risk. More and more the right recommendation becomes just picking up a new "Pro" smartphone.

Hey Tony! I've enjoyed your videos for ages. Thank you for the compliments.

I really really hear you in this.

No one takes the serial numbers of the cameras or lenses seriously if you do get robbed, and the insurance is crazy.

I have spent a lot of time in Bogota Colombia. I lived there off and on for over 5 years. I hardly ever carried any major camera that looked expensive in Colombia, and only I when I was with at least 2 more people, safety in numbers and all that, and even then, the level of awareness was a little stressful. It's hard to concentrate on taking photos when you are also worried about your street safety. Even when I graduated down to the EOS-M which isn't a flashy camera system it was a little better, as I could at least hold it more discreetly than I could a DSLR or a camera with a range finder. I would still not carry around any sort of camera bag, and I would carry the camera and 1, max 2 lenses in my pockets.

I actually got my little full-spectrum modified ELPH compact camera specifically for taking photos a little more freely when I was in Bogota. I think there's still room in the market for small inexpensive discreet cameras and associated lenses or compact cameras for these sorts of use cases.

High end phones are probably even more of a target. I could probably count on one hand how many friends did not get robbed of their phones at least once in Bogota, and they KNOW what high-end phones look like. So I'm not sure that's a good answer either.

I know this sounds like I'm bashing Bogota, it's really my favorite city in Latin America, the people are wonderful, and the weather is great if you like 20C year around, and it's a fantastically vibrant city once you get used to the 8000-foot elevation.

I think depending on the safety level, I'd recommend getting a midrange phone with half decent camera, and a compact or m43's small system to someone wanting some flexibility. Something that you aren't going to argue over if someone comes up and says .. hand it over. A small mirrorless with a flip-up screen, allows you to hold the camera more discreetly down near your waist like the old film medium format cameras. Greater protection. Holding a phone and/or a camera up near your face, or out in front of you is just asking for trouble depending on where are you of course.

Maybe Canon and other manufacturers need to add a hidden slot where you can shove an airtag. Most thieves wouldn't have the knowledge to look for it if it was well hidden, say in the battery compartment.

Another point about traveling with expensive camera systems, for some, the more expensive it is, the more apt they'll resist willingly handing it over to a thief, and that's just a really bad idea.

Upvote 0
Take it easy on me in here ;)
Richard, I'm a 33-year patent attorney with expertise in optics and imaging, including my own granted patent applications on my own inventions in that space. I invite you to contact me any time for background on patent matters, including interpreting the scope of patents. My journalist's guide to patents is as follows:
1. Provide a link to the publication or patent, or at least the number and country.
2. Know that often the first report is a published application, and no legal rights are yet granted. Don't call this a "patent" in the headline. It's an application, not (yet) a patent.
3. A patent doesn't necessarily protect what one might assume looking at drawings or description. Only the "claims" define what is protected. I can often tell a journalist at a glance the essence of what concept is protected.

I understand urgent deadlines and can usually jump on a question.

Ben

Upvote 0
Hello Richard.

Since you're up to speed on parents, can you comment on which Canon is actually using or purporting to use in order to block third-party lenses?

Quite honestly? I have no idea. I would LOVE To see what they said to Viltrox (and Samyang) besides veiled threats.

I wrote this on the meike rumor, it doesn't make any sense to me.

1) it's not the mechanical patents - since they allow non-AF and also adapters to be created for the RF mount.
2) it's not the electronic interconnects - since they allow for adapters and also macro extension tubes, etc.

There was one (or maybe two) patent back before the RF mount was released that discussed the camera body switching between the two protocols automatically but that really dealt with the camera

I'm pretty sure most of the companies doing lenses right now are mimicking EF lenses, which would skirt the entire RF protocol. It would make the most sense since they already KNOW how to do the EF protocol. Obviously, that's too old to have enforceable patent rights.

I'm not an IP lawyer but by any stretch, it doesn't sound right - I suspect these smaller companies just decided it wasn't worth taking on Canon over it, and it was far easier to back down. Obviously, Canon said something to them that made them think that Canon had a good case, but I really don't know. It doesn't really pass the sniff test. As we all know .. there's nothing stopping a lens from looking like an EF lens and talking to an RF camera body. So going after these guys would be the same as going after RF to EF adapter third party folks or going after people creating EF lenses that have compability with the RF mount. ie: when tamron updates firmware to make their EF lenses work on the RF mount.

For all we know Viltrox reversed-engineered the RF protocol and that got Canon a little upset. It doesn't explain Samyang though.

Supposedly Yongnuo is coming out with an RF AF lens, so maybe that's exactly what they are doing - just using the EF protocol and telling Canon to go stuff it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
They’re going about it in a very strange way, then. The 28–70mm f/2 seems ideal for a wedding, fashion or portrait photographer, but mainly one with deep pockets and an assistant to hump it to just one or two locations. This is the very opposite of a hobby portrait/family photographer, who usually has to carry their own equipment and will use it in more locations. Money aside, big lenses like that and the f/1.2 primes are just less suitable than the more compact stuff being offered on the Sony mount.

On the other hand, lenses like the 100–500mm f/4.5–7.1 IS L and the 70–200mm f/4 IS L do seem to be aimed at amateurs and fit in with your theory.
I've always felt that the RF 28-70mm f2.0 L lens a bit of an odd ball lens. As a wedding photographer, I liked to run with a 35mm f1.4 and a 85mm f1.2, each on a separate camera. Then I'd have a 3rd camera with a 16-35 for all the wide stuff. For me, this lens would be far better served (to photojournalist as a 35-85mm f2.0. The 28mm wide end isn't particularly useful to me and I'd have to supplement it with another lens. The long end isn't really long enough, it's noticeably less than the stated 70mm and gets worse as the min focus is brought close. Personally I find 70mm a bit too loose for me, I generally need an 85mm so I'd need to supplement it with another lens...BOOM...a three lens line up...I'll rather go prime or 24-70/f2.8 (with 2 other lenses).
A long while back, 28-70mm f2.8 lenses were more common, Canon invented the first version in the market (an often forgotten EF lens) and they became very popular with wedding photographers. All the other brands (including Nikon) copied the idea a few years later, but by then Canon brought out the legendary EF 24-70mm f2.8 L. A lens that really is 70mm at the long end, it exhibits the opposite of lens breathing (you gain focal length with this lens as you focus down). In fact it's close focus and MM is so good, for most wedding ring shots you can use this lens with a 12mm extension tube and you don't need to bring a macro lens. Canon sold so many of these lenses to both pros and semi pros. It stayed in production for so long it was the "defector" lens that all others were judged by. I think canon is hoping to do exactly the same method of lens release here, but taking the lens a stop brighter.
So it really would not surprise me if Canon have every intention of releasing a RF 24-70mm f2 to replace this lens in a few years and this current lens is just a place holder. Canon likes us to buy twice, it's good business for them! But for me, the new Tamron 35-150mm f2-2.8 is a far better prospect. It literally condenses the need for most primes (35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm) in one handy lens. Canon...make me a RF 35-135mm f2 L IS and I would be very very happy!

Upvote 0
But for me, the new Tamron 35-150mm f2-2.8 is a far better prospect. It literally condenses the need for most primes (35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm) in one handy lens.
Since you mention using two bodies (at least) and are apparently fine with f/2-2.8, what about one body with the 28-70/2 and another with the 70-200/2.8? Gives you a broader focal range, same apertures, the backup camera you’re going to need anyway, and better IQ. Only downside is that it might exceed your budget.

Upvote 0
I am seeing some European airlines for flights within Europe charge for heavier carry-on and they enforce it.
Where do they weigh the carryon bags – at check-in or at the gate? I’ve only had checked bags weighed at check-in, and I’ve often had them let a bag that’s 1-2 kg overweight the usual 23 kg limit slide with no hassle or fee (though in some cases I have a higher allowance with airline status, e.g. BA allows me 32 kg, but American just allows additional 23 kg bags and has let me slide).

Upvote 0
Where do they weigh the carryon bags – at check-in or at the gate? I’ve only had checked bags weighed at check-in, and I’ve often had them let a bag that’s 1-2 kg overweight the usual 23 kg limit slide with no hassle or fee (though in some cases I have a higher allowance with airline status, e.g. BA allows me 32 kg, but American just allows additional 23 kg bags and has let me slide).
EasyJet - which I tend to use - has:
"Everyone can bring one small cabin bag per person on board for free.

It can be a maximum size of 45 x 36 x 20 cm (including any handles and wheels) and needs must be kept under the seat in front of you. That should be enough to bring all the essentials for your journey or for a short trip. Your bag can weigh up to 15kg, but we do ask that you’re able to lift and carry it yourself". If you pay extra for speedy boarding etc, they allow a second bag (I have posted a picture of how I can get an R7, R5, RF100-500, RF100-400 + iPad into the second).15kg is a lot and they never weigh.

Ryanair, the Canon of cheap airlines, has a limit of 10kg and I have seen them check at the gate - that way you have no chance of avoiding extra payments. Avoid them if you can.

BA never checks weight.

Upvote 0
Canon...make me a RF 35-135mm f2 L IS and I would be very very happy!
I agree with your entire message; and I would say that even a RF 35-105 f2 without IS would be perfectly fine for me, "your lens" I'm afraid would bee to big and really too expensive for Canon to sell. 28mm I don't really need, 35 is enough, and I agree with you 70mm is too short on the long end; an end between 90 and 105 would be perfect, and honestly Canon should already have done it, in my view the 28-70 is too similar to the 24-70, they should have differentiated them more, brightness apart.

The Tamron 35-150 f2-2.8 (that I would consider a straight constant f2.8) is really the "ceremony killer lens", if I would ever switch to Sony or Nikon, that lens would certainly be the cause.
For how I shoot, it means using 99% of a wedding one single camera instead of two (I'm no fan of wide shots), so even if the lens is super large and heavy I don't care, it'ss still more manageable then two cameras with 24-70 and 70-200, if it's a ceremony where I want to use zooms instead of the primes (unfortunately not all churches allow for f2.8 lenses, many are too dark and need fast primes).

Upvote 0
I have seen it done at both check-in and boarding for the same flight. Not common, but I've had it happen in Nairobi, Kampala and Dublin (Ryanair :mad:). Though the two African airports also had boarding baggage security checks.

Iberia recently weighed my carry-on bag, and it was over. They let it go once I opened it. That will likely be an inconsistent enforcement. So weigh the bag and wear a camera or some lenses if need be.

I do think carry-on is going to change once the 100ml liquid rule changes next year. Though I don't know how far reaching that is going to be. I guess I should check.

Upvote 0
Reading through the interviews from the Photo and Imaging 2023 show felt like I was back in the early days of the EF mount. But it's not the late 80s and early 90s when FD mount users were picking their jaws up off the floor. Back then film was still king, Velvia was amazing, Tmax was made by actual wizards, and new and exciting technologies such as USM and IS were coming out. All the major players were still in the game. It was a great time for the camera companies, carrying through all the way past the first decade of the new millennia. They could literally do what they wanted when they wanted. Money was to be made.

See full article...
First welcome aboard.

As someone who has owned Canon cameras since the sixties, I've seen the industry evolve also. My first Canon was a 35mm FT Canon and I still have my functioning F1 with motor drive. Let's not speak of my Argus C3. LOL While I don't have to carry three cameras around my neck anymore because of zooms, the kit is not something you can just throw on the baggage belt. Today if I can't drive to my destination, my R5 will stay home.

In the old days, I would put my Olympus XA clamshell in my pocket but today I rely on my cell phone. For a big percentage of casual shooters, the cell phone fits their needs which makes Canon, Nikon, etc. manufacturer's buyer pool smaller by the day. Hopefully, there will be enough money to keep them producing cameras. Learning on a cell phone has also created a brain drain with users who don't have a clue as to what aperture or shutter speed do.

Upvote 0
I have seen it done at both check-in and boarding for the same flight. Not common, but I've had it happen in Nairobi, Kampala and Dublin (Ryanair :mad:). Though the two African airports also had boarding baggage security checks.

Iberia recently weighed my carry-on bag, and it was over. They let it go once I opened it. That will likely be an inconsistent enforcement. So weigh the bag and wear a camera or some lenses if need be.

I do think carry-on is going to change once the 100ml liquid rule changes next year. Though I don't know how far reaching that is going to be. I guess I should check.
You can squeeze a hell of a lot of small heavy stuff into a safari vest. BA's race to the bottom began, or was consolidated, with their merger with Iberia.

Upvote 0
EasyJet - which I tend to use - has:
"Everyone can bring one small cabin bag per person on board for free.

It can be a maximum size of 45 x 36 x 20 cm (including any handles and wheels) and needs must be kept under the seat in front of you. That should be enough to bring all the essentials for your journey or for a short trip. Your bag can weigh up to 15kg, but we do ask that you’re able to lift and carry it yourself". If you pay extra for speedy boarding etc, they allow a second bag (I have posted a picture of how I can get an R7, R5, RF100-500, RF100-400 + iPad into the second).15kg is a lot and they never weigh.

Ryanair, the Canon of cheap airlines, has a limit of 10kg and I have seen them check at the gate - that way you have no chance of avoiding extra payments. Avoid them if you can.

BA never checks weight.
Hi Alan, I've done something similar with EasyJet. However I usually take one of the cams (with a modest sized lens) out of the bag and wear it around my neck on a camera strap. I also carry an overcoat over my arm...and that's usually got another lens snuck in the pocket. Voilà! My hand luggage bag is actually quite light :D

Upvote 0
Hi Alan, I've done something similar with EasyJet. However I usually take one of the cams (with a modest sized lens) out of the bag and wear it around my neck on a camera strap. I also carry an overcoat over my arm...and that's usually got another lens snuck in the pocket. Voilà! My hand luggage bag is actually quite light :D
EasyJet staff are far more easygoing than Ryanair. What gets me is that they, like Ryanair, tend to use airports such as Luton and Stansted where you have to clamber up and down steps rather than be able to wheel your cases across an airbridge and its tough for oldies like my me and my wife.

Upvote 0