President's Photographer

E

eos4thewin

My last post was deleted. Is that routine around here??

Anyway, my question was has anyone seen the National Geographic special "The President's Photographer"? It was a very interesting documentary mainly about Pete Souza (Obama's photographer). I was trying to figure out what lenses he shoots with routinely; couldn't tell from the small screen I was watching, but maybe some others have better eyes. I think his body is a 5D or 5D Mark II. Great documentary. Don't think I'd cut it. Too crazy a schedule :-/

Pulled from: http://www.imaginginfo.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=3&id=2781&pageNum=2

Most Important Product for Productivity

The Apple PowerBook G4 is the most indispensable product for my productivity. Once I am done shooting on assignment, the G4 becomes my workhorse for post-production. The 15-inch LCD screen is ideal for editing digital pictures and wirelessly sending files via FTP sites. I hope to upgrade soon to a MacBook Pro.

PETE SOUZA

Pete Souza's Gear Box

DIGITAL CAMERAS
Canon EOS 5Ds with Canon lenses:
28mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1/2L,
135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS

MEDIUM-FORMAT Camera
Mamiya 7 with 43mm and 65mm lenses

SPECIALTY CAMERAS
Widelux panoramic
Holga cameras

LIGHTING GEAR
Dyna-Lite

COMPUTER/DIGITAL GEAR
Apple PowerBook G4
Apple G5 Mac
LaCie Electron Blue monitor
Polaroid SprintScan 4000 Plus
Adobe Creative Suite CS2
iView MediaPro
Photo Mechanic
Microsoft Word

Upvote 0
Nice sets from both of them. Callie Shell seems to have developed a closer relationship with Obama as a person since before he was elected president.
Pete Souza, on the other hand, takes quite the other role: the president's photographers. Any president.

I think I like Callie's photos more, though. They seem to convey more intimacy. Some of them have already left a strong footprint in my memory - resting on the stairs (really strong image), sleeping on the couch, doing pull-ups, holding his wife while reading the papers (very evocative, moody).
Souza's photos seem to tell the story closer to what you would expect from election campaign photos, not necessarily trying to go beyond that.

My opinion.
Again, great photos from both.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
eos4thewin said:
My last post was deleted. Is that routine around here??

I suspect that was because of the title of original post. "Shoot" has more than one connotation, and the more common one has nothing to do with a lone cameraman.

We did not want google to pick up that title and spread it all over the internet. Some police services are extremely sensitive to things like that. Its best to start over with a new thread.

You changed your title, but by that time, it was repeated in multiple replies to the original post.

Upvote 0
On wikipedia, if you google 5d mark ii. It stated that 5d mark ii is the first digital camera use to photograph the president(barrack obama). Then i assumed that he used 5d mark ii and maybe some canon prime l lenses

Upvote 0
ianhar said:
On wikipedia, if you google 5d mark ii. It stated that 5d mark ii is the first digital camera use to photograph the president(barrack obama). Then i assumed that he used 5d mark ii and maybe some canon prime l lenses
I was thinking the same thing. In afira's list, there is no such thing as a "5Ds" so I assume it is used to mean not the original 5D, but a pair (or more) of 5D Mark II cameras.

Upvote 0