Printer Advice. I want to replace my Printer Canon Pro 10

Hector1970

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 22, 2012
I've a Canon Pro-10. The print head is dying on it. I can see 3rd party heads for it with bad reviews but I can't see an option to buy the printhead from Canon.
The printer is quite old now.
I was looking for some advice on buying a replacement.
I'd be open to Canon or Epson.
I love the print from a Canon Pro-10 but it is a frustrating machine. In my case its extremely difficult to access the printhead when there is an error. It's locked in the right of the machine. Every so often I can get it out to clean it and it works again for a while. It's basically built in obsolescence. It's not a machine designed to be fixed. Error codes and instructions on fixing are borderline pathetic. Possibly Epson is no better. It's a huge chunk of metal and plastic to dump. "Sustainability" is just a catchy phrase.
The other issue is Ink Size. Very small in the Pro-10 and only slightly improved in new machines. There is so much waste of ink in the set up of the printer and it takes for ever to get going on start-up or on ink change (which is almost every time I use it).

I want an A3+ Printer at least as good as the Pro-10
Would anyone recommend a Canon or Epson Professional Printer?
For Canon the choice seems to be between Canon PIXMA PRO-200 A3 Plus Colour Photo Wireless Printer and a Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-300 A3 Plus Colour Photo Wireless Printer
Epson I'm less familiar with. SureColor SC-P700 seems to be an option. Bigger tanks 25mk.

Anyone around who might give an opinion?
For desk top printers I changed from Epson to Canon. I was constantly having issues with blocked nozzles even though I always printed at least a nozzle test every week. Also I went through a few Epsons over an eight year period.
Got a Canon Prograf pro 300 and it has been excellent. Never had a blocked nozzle yet. As with all these A3+ printers the ink carts don’t last long if you’re printing A3+ a lot, but if you want an A3+ printer this is the one I’d get.
Despite having only one grey ink B&W printing is still very good.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
For desk top printers I changed from Epson to Canon. I was constantly having issues with blocked nozzles even though I always printed at least a nozzle test every week. Also I went through a few Epsons over an eight year period.
Got a Canon Prograf pro 300 and it has been excellent. Never had a blocked nozzle yet. As with all these A3+ printers the ink carts don’t last long if you’re printing A3+ a lot, but if you want an A3+ printer this is the one I’d get.
Despite having only one grey ink B&W printing is still very good.
Thanks for that Sporgon

Upvote 0
Just tonight I was smiling because my Canon Pro-1000 alerted me to a firmware update--right on the printer's little display panel. Went without a hitch.

I used to have an Epson 3880, which was excellent. It did take quite a bit of fiddling with the ink-cartridges, as they tended to dry out quickly if not used. Once clogged, I would have to wet a piece of paper-towel with Windex, and then place the little piece of paper under the parked printhead overnight. Sometimes I'd have to repeat the procedure several times. Still, I kept it running pretty well for about eight years.

I've now had my Pro-1000 for almost five years. No problems, no clogs. I only use Canon inks. I try to print with it at least once a week, but sometimes I go over a month. I change the run-off tank whenever it is about 80% full.

One reason the Pro-1000 might be better is it agitates the ink, something I had to remember to do by hand on the Epson. Plus the Canon ink formulation and the head-design likely play roles.

I've always kept my photo printers covered with covers designed for the printers they are used on.

One downside to the Pro-1000, besides ink costs, is the ink-level gauge is vague. I get dozens of 5x7's before I can physically feel (by removing and shaking the cartridge) that the ink has gotten close to draining out completely. So far, I've never gone beyond the low-ink alert into the warning phase that I've read about. Maybe this is a little conservative, but I just don't want to take a chance getting air bubble in the feed tubes--or having the tubes getting dry inside.

Upvote 0