R5 IBIS constantly vibrating with EF 70-200 2.8 non is

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I also noticed the difference the first time I put an EF lens with IS onto my R5 with IBIS. Together, they seem to stay on until the camera body goes into standby, which it does quickly because I usually have ECO mode active.

I still have an EF 100mm f/2.8L IS, and it behaves as you are describing.

There is an IS option which allows you to set the IS to be on only when taking "only at the moment of shooting," but I keep mine on so that it's active when I'm framing the shot. I like the EVF to be as steady as possible when I'm looking through it.

You will probably learn many tricks, over time, to save battery on your R5. For example, be careful about having the EVF and back screen switch automatically while you have the R5 slung over a shoulder. Every time your arm, strap, or a fold of your shirt get near the EVF proximity sensor, the EVF lights up, using mucho power. Plus, the activating I'm describing can prevent the camera from going into ECO mode, which, as you are finding out, keeps the IBIS/IS going and going.

Seems as if yours is normal, but it would be nice if others confirm.

Upvote 0

Monte

EOS R3
CR Pro
Jul 7, 2013
ALBERTA, CANADA
My R3 & EF 400 f2.8 IS with the Canon adaptor does this as well and drives me nuts. I’ve spent hours trying to find info on this online and YouTube, but no luck. I guess I should’ve asked here.
I guess we’re stuck with it if we want IS while simply looking through the view finder. What bothers me is how long it keeps buzzing when it’s not needed, usually on a tripod. Wasteful wear on the IS and batteries.

Upvote 0
So i'm guessing it's the focal length of the lens that makes the IBIS work overtime ... because i put a 16-54 f4 with IS and it didn't make the same noise/vibrations ...

also my 70-200 is the non IS version ... so just IBIS of the R5 working ... i guess that's even more work.

Thankfully it's not a lens that i have to use a lot of the time , as my 24-105 does a good job for 90% of the stuff.

just glad to know i'm not alone on this as it was quite a bit terrifying. Also the lens is from 1995-2001 production so yeah quite old hahaha but still a beast

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
My R3 & EF 400 f2.8 IS with the Canon adaptor does this as well and drives me nuts. I’ve spent hours trying to find info on this online and YouTube, but no luck. I guess I should’ve asked here.
I guess we’re stuck with it if we want IS while simply looking through the view finder. What bothers me is how long it keeps buzzing when it’s not needed, usually on a tripod. Wasteful wear on the IS and batteries.
You can turn it off either with the lens switch or camera menu--if you don't want it on while using a tripod.
But remember to try ECO Mode for quick time outs, which stops the IBIS. Startup time is virtually instant when you press the shutter button or most other control buttons.

In theory, what you say is reasonable; however, in practice the characteristic you describe makes little difference to battery life or IBIS wear and tear if you are properly managing things, something which quickly becomes second nature.

As I mentioned previously, if the power issue is important to you, be sure to choose an EVF option that doesn't include having the proximity sensor constantly active. This keeps the camera from staying on all the time. Of course, in a studio, with the camera placed down when not in use, you wouldn't need to worry about this at all.

EDIT: Caught mistake regarding menu option for turning off IS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0