Red squirrels

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I didn't guess the Reds were smarter in this respect. Maybe because they evolved together, the Red Squirrels developed some defensive instincts to protect them from the Pine Martins??

If it's legal for you to own a Pine Martin, I fully support this idea! I immediately thought if it interests you and you have enough time, you could set up a crowdfunding project to support the Pine Martin's care and trying to spread general awareness about the Grey and Red Squirrels. Something like if a person donates 50 pounds (plus shipping costs) they can get a print of a photo.
There's active conservation and with pine martins involved.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yes, they are an official pest. If you catch one you are not allowed to release it elsewhere. They out compete the smaller red and also carry a pox that hardly affects them but kills the red. There are just small enclaves of reds left here. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_grey__in_Europe
Sadly, just the same in France. The red squirrels can still be seen, but the grey ones dominate in numbers. I'm afraid this is an irreversable situation.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
This image might be unpleasant for some people.
I believe these were Callosciurus Finlaysonii. I thought this lady selling them was pleasant and elegant.
I afraid that method of eradication is hardly employable in Europe:)!
this is true but they all taste the same :)
Did you tasted them? If they are good, try to save (move to) Europe - they need you badly:).

I'm kind of skeptical with the employment of the (European) Pine Martins: back in the times people introduced the Small Asian Mongoose to fight the rats in Hawaii (and off course the rats were delivered here by the people!). The Mongoose were smarter: they found that hunting birds and their nests is easier than hunting the rats! I don't think any one knows the real effect of the mongoose on the rat's population here but the effect of the mongoose on some bird's populations is well known!
I just hope in UK they can find a way to outsmart the Martins!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I afraid that method of eradication is hardly employable in Europe:)!

Did you tasted them? If they are good, try to save (move to) Europe - they need you badly:).

I'm kind of skeptical with the employment of the (European) Pine Martins: back in the times people introduced the Small Asian Mongoose to fight the rats in Hawaii (and off course the rats were delivered here by the people!). The Mongoose were smarter: they found that hunting birds and their nests is easier than hunting the rats! I don't think any one knows the real effect of the mongoose on the rat's population here but the effect of the mongoose on some bird's populations is well known!
I just hope in UK they can find a way to outsmart the Martins!
I am an open minded person enough to eat ant eggs, but I never considered buying those squirrels.

You have a point about the possibility that the Martins could make things even worse for another kind of animals.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
This sequence was funny.
With some 10 walnuts left in the tree at some very thin twigs and me shooting out of the window, for the squirrel it was difficult to decide which to take.
It decided for this with a very artistic approach. But when it tried to grab it, it fell down on the ground with a cracking sound.
The last pic speaks for itself ;) :cry:
All shot at R6m2@500mm, 1/1000, f/7.1, ISO6400, all FF without any cropping.

squirrel_2023_05.JPGsquirrel_2023_06.JPGsquirrel_2023_07.JPGsquirrel_2023_08.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
This sequence was funny.
With some 10 walnuts left in the tree at some very thin twigs and me shooting out of the window, for the squirrel it was difficult to decide which to take.
It decided for this with a very artistic approach. But when it tried to grab it, it fell down on the ground with a cracking sound.
The last pic speaks for itself ;) :cry:
All shot at R6m2@500mm, 1/1000, f/7.1, ISO6400, all FF without any cropping.

View attachment 212847View attachment 212848View attachment 212849View attachment 212850
Fantastic! Did it go to the ground and find the nut?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Very funny indeed, I love that sequence....Especially the last picture. :ROFLMAO:
Fantastic! Did it go to the ground and find the nut?
Thanks, Click and Eric.

No, it didn't. In first, I thought about that, too. But it went towards the next nut in the tree.
As the Walnut fell on concrete and from the sound it also cracked I suppose it was worthless for the squirrel as it couldn't put it in a hide to deposit it for the winter.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
A last set of the red squirrel in the neighbour's walnut tree.
All shot at R6m2@500mm, 1/1000, f/7.1, ISO6400, vertical cropping of a horizontal FF.
PP just with DPP.
The last is a detail of the one above. Fantastic details in the reflection in the eye at ISO6400.
I just love my R6m2

squirrel_2023_10.JPG
squirrel_2023_09.JPGsquirrel_2023_09_d.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Upvote 0