Save big on refurbished Canon IS binoculars

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon USA store is having a sale on refurbished IS binoculars along with the usual cameras and lenses. Canon’s IS binoculars aren’t the best optically, though they do compete well at their price point. However, the image stabilization can really help out people that can’t comfortably use binoculars due to hand steadiness which can

See full article...

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
One of the group of Lenstip sites does thorough reviews of binoculars. Their latest is of the Canon 10x30 IS ii https://www.allbinos.com/index.php?test=lornetki&test_l=379
Of the 1000's of birdwatchers I have personally seen carrying binoculars, I have never come across one with a Canon IS pair. But, birdwatchers rarely go above 8-10x, where steadiness is not a problem in practice. The Canons are not expensive for what they are compared with the prices people pay for Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski.

Upvote 0
The Canon USA store is having a sale on refurbished IS binoculars along with the usual cameras and lenses. Canon’s IS binoculars aren’t the best optically, though they do compete well at their price point. However, the image stabilization can really help out people that can’t comfortably use binoculars due to hand steadiness which can

See full article...
have had the 10x30is binocs for 15 years... great binocs EXCEPT for that horrendous rubberized coating that gets sticky and tar like.. totally unacceptable but Canon will NOT make good on them.. I tried sending them in about 8 years ago but they wanted to charge me more than what I paid for them to refurbish them.. and from what I hear they are still using that same coating.. what I did.. I removed the rubberized coating with alcohol.. they still work very well.. but Canon's handling of what is their fault is terrible

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
have had the 10x30is binocs for 15 years... great binocs EXCEPT for that horrendous rubberized coating that gets sticky and tar like.. totally unacceptable but Canon will NOT make good on them.. I tried sending them in about 8 years ago but they wanted to charge me more than what I paid for them to refurbish them.. and from what I hear they are still using that same coating.. what I did.. I removed the rubberized coating with alcohol.. they still work very well.. but Canon's handling of what is their fault is terrible
I've had that happen to non-optical items. I've had to do the same thing to clean them.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
have had the 10x30is binocs for 15 years... great binocs EXCEPT for that horrendous rubberized coating that gets sticky and tar like..
I’ve only had my 10x30 IS binos for 11 years, but the coating looks/feels fine apart from a few scuff marks.

Optically, they’re decent. My much newer 10x42L binos are optically very good.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I used the Canon 10x42L IS binos for two eclipses now. That is pretty much the best use I have found for them. I now have screw in solar filters for them. Optically I would call them good, maybe very good, but not great. For daily use/travel I have a set of Bushnell Legend Ms 10x42. Optically I prefer them and for most situations, I can hold them steady enough. The IS on the canon really helps looking high in the sky.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I used the Canon 10x42L IS binos for two eclipses now. That is pretty much the best use I have found for them. I now have screw in solar filters for them. Optically I would call them good, maybe very good, but not great. For daily use/travel I have a set of Bushnell Legend Ms 10x42. Optically I prefer them and for most situations, I can hold them steady enough. The IS on the canon really helps looking high in the sky.
The Canons are are good for using once every 4 or 5 years - must be pristine!

Upvote 0
I live by the beach, my 18x50 IS are great marine binocs for checking what's going on out on the water. Night sky is also good, wife got to see Jupiter's moons for the first time through them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RaPhoto

Ra R5 R7 R8
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I've had my 10x42L for 16 years now and my wife had hers for 10 years (which replaced her Leica APO 77 spotting scope). I wouldn't use anything else for birding. I always have attached lens hoods to allow for seeing birds much closer to the sun than unhooded binos. We've used them all over the world, under extreme conditions included on deep ocean pelagic birding trips (think ocean waves crashing over the boat) and they've held up beautifully. I have also used them for both US total solar eclipses with the screw in solar filters and lens hoods, Optically, mine are exceptionally good. I have looked through many high-end scopes and binoculars and wouldn't trade our Canons for any of them.

Upvote 0