SIGMA Announces the 14mm F1.8 DG HSM Art Series Lens

Kit Lens Jockey said:
Here are sample images. I don't have the patience or expertise to examine them for COMA right now, so I'll just let someone else do it and let me know how it is. ;D

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/8743754083/sigma-14mm-f1-8-sample-gallery

No coma! But no stars, either. So no answer to that question. Veiling flare looks pretty strong.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
Kit Lens Jockey said:
Here are sample images. I don't have the patience or expertise to examine them for COMA right now, so I'll just let someone else do it and let me know how it is. ;D

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/8743754083/sigma-14mm-f1-8-sample-gallery
You have to have specific shots for coma testing and these are not.

You have to shoot the stars or leds at the corners or at least some night distant city photos with lights at the corners. So we still have to wait... But there is some time for milky way/ astro landscape shooting at the nothern hemisphere at least... :)

Upvote 0
It does feel like a massive lens to me, small hands aside. At least this one looks fairly "even" though. My Rokinon 14mm f2.8 is so oddly shaped that I almost hate carrying it around.

But still....f1.8...for night time star shooting...I'm eager to see the reviews on this. Part of me hopes it sucks though, as I've got two other (very expensive) lenses I'd like to get too.

Upvote 0
WRS said:
ND said:

Any other comments on the link from those who shoot astro? I'm anxiously awaiting the release and reviews of this lens for that purpose. Thanks....

This looks fantastic! I was previously using the 16-35L II for astro (I know it's far from best lens, but I am a poor people who only occasionally shoot astro), but this thing's lack of coma and distortion and with the crazy F1.8 aperture sounded like THE lens for astro photography, come sigma, release it under 15k before september so I can get this baby to my austria trip

Upvote 0

BeenThere

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
chik0240 said:
WRS said:
ND said:

Any other comments on the link from those who shoot astro? I'm anxiously awaiting the release and reviews of this lens for that purpose. Thanks....

This looks fantastic! I was previously using the 16-35L II for astro (I know it's far from best lens, but I am a poor people who only occasionally shoot astro), but this thing's lack of coma and distortion and with the crazy F1.8 aperture sounded like THE lens for astro photography, come sigma, release it under 15k before september so I can get this baby to my austria trip
15K? Deep pockets indeed!

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
BeenThere said:
chik0240 said:
WRS said:
ND said:

It has to be a typo for 1.5K in reality.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
tron said:
BeenThere said:
chik0240 said:
WRS said:
ND said:

It has to be a typo for 1.5K in reality.

Nope, too late, they're working on it already, targeting $15k for a copy. So whoever asked for it - will have to buy! :)

Upvote 0