Smallest dslr with prism

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Does anyone know what the smallest dslr with prism is? I have both SL1 & SL2 both have Pentamirrors. I really don’t like using either despite being great cameras. I own a 400D which has a much better viewfinder in part due to using a real prism. But ideally I’d like something more modern but still small.

Any ideas?
From current models it might be one of Pentax DSLRs K-70(currently on sale for under $550), from historic models if I remember correctly Olympus E410 had prism in 4/3 system.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
From current models it might be one of Pentax DSLRs K-70(currently on sale for under $550), from historic models if I remember correctly Olympus E410 had prism in 4/3 system.
Hi
Thanks for the reply
Sorry my mistake - I meant canon.

But I have to say Pentax has recently caught my eye. I think km going to pick up a used body to see if I like.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
AFAIR the 400D also uses a Pentamirror.

I don’t know what the viewfinder in the K-70 is like; it is a proper pentaprism, but I can say that the finders on the K5/K3/KP cameras are excellent, and a much better experience than the xxxD Canon DSLRs in my experience.
(Just don’t expect them to focus like a Canon !)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
AFAIR the 400D also uses a Pentamirror.
Quick check at the German Canon HP confirms that.
Pentamirror, 95% field of view, 0,8x magnification

SL1 to 3 (aka. 100/200/250D):
Pentamirror, 95% field of view, 0,87x magnification

By pure numbers, esp. magnification, the 400D should be not as good.

About pentaprism:
I didn't check, but the EOS x0D series should have prisms.
AFAIK the Rebels/Kiss/x00D/x000D all have/had mirrors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Thanks to all
You are absolutely right the 400D does have a pentamirror, my apologies.
I don’t understand? I have two 400d’s the view in the viewfinder seems much sharper, brighter, crisper than either my SL1 or SL2? They are awful, hence I tend not to use them.

I have the old 40/50d and 7d/7dii they are much better especially the 7d series. But they are also much bigger and heavier.

I’m at a loss.
I have slowly moved to canon mirrorless M’s and RP. Whilst I really do appreciate the modern benefits, I find something is lacking ? I tend to treat mirrorless like I treat my phone. Just take random snaps.
I don’t want the burden of lugging the 7d or even my FF 6d/5d although the 6d with 40mm stm is very nice and light.
I want a larger sensor than compacts, smaller body but with a bright OVF viewfinder and a decent battery life. I’m guessing that’s the OMD series or K series??

As I say I really do enjoy mirrorless, but I can’t take them serious. Sounds daft I’m sure.

I bought a cheap used 1div last year as I had never tried the 1d series. Absolutely love the viewfinder and the no nonsense control layout. But it’s heavy as a walkabout camera.
I’m so frustrated as I can’t seem to find a body that ticks all the boxes. I’ve taken to carrying my old G16 powershot.

Not to worry, I’m sure something will turn up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Quick check at the German Canon HP confirms that.
Pentamirror, 95% field of view, 0,8x magnification

SL1 to 3 (aka. 100/200/250D):
Pentamirror, 95% field of view, 0,87x magnification

By pure numbers, esp. magnification, the 400D should be not as good.

About pentaprism:
I didn't check, but the EOS x0D series should have prisms.
AFAIK the Rebels/Kiss/x00D/x000D all have/had mirrors.
In general for Canon anything below x0D was mirror while x0D and above is always prism for viewfinder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Well not one to hang about
I’ve a Pentax K10d coming my way, boxed, one owner, 2 batteries. I have a old 28mm smc lurking in the loft somewhere, it’s been up there for 30 odd years.
I’ll find it out.
I’m sure I could have bought a more recent model, but I thought 10mp ccd sounded just fine.

I might also pick up a cheap original Olympus OM-D some time this year as I’m certain there’s a zuiko 50mm in the loft too.

I do love canon but the demise of the M system and the seemingly relentless push of the R, especially given the cost of RF glass along with the pretty naff build quality (consumer line), I dunno…… I just feel like taking a break away from the canon bubble….maybe rediscovering what photography is actually all about. I always feel like I’m simply a operator on canon mirrorless…just snapping away churning out run of the mill super sharp, high contrast “Pack shots”… does that make sense??

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0