Strange popping sounds when recording videos with the 90D

Since I've had my 90D, I've noticed strange sounds when recording videos with the 90D, the videos make a popping sound every 5 seconds or so, there will be a rare case where videos don't make this sound at all. This happens with both 4k 29.97 FPS and 1080P 29.97 FPS using the microphone on the camera. I've recently formatted my SD card in the camera, The memory card I'm using is the Sandisk extreme 150MB/sec v30 64gb. I'm also using the Canon 70-300mm IS II USM not that I think the lens would matter. Does anyone here have an idea on what could be wrong?

An example of the sound it makes is here: https://clipchamp.com/watch/EIUwhzZGb5J

Last edited:

vikingar

EOS R5
May 13, 2022
Sometimes playback software or video codecs have issues with 29.97fps, and switching to 30fps or between NTSC<->PAL fixes it.

But the popping on your video doesn't sound like a digital artifact to me, more like there's actually something picked up by the microphone.

Something like AF, aperture, IS perhaps? Or a wedding band / ring / watch lightly touching the camera body (although I'm sure you've checked that already). Maybe even EM interference from an old 2G phone or nearby radio transmitter? Could also be a sudden power draw from some other component on the 90D, like when writing to the SD card.

You could try and see if it happens in manual mode, with MF, on a tripod, or if that doesn't help try even without a lens attached. At least that would rule out all things mechanical.

Upvote 0