Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD

Feb 1, 2013
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Here's one of the shots from the first day of the review process. I will be using the lens also for a wedding and business event over the weekend and into next week.

Me and My Book by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Just quickly looking at Gary's shots earlier in the thread, it kind of looks like the color palette is superior to Canon's 70-200 ii. Do you find this in your shooting, Dustin?

I suspect no matter how sharp some copies of this Tamron will go, nobody will ever admit it can be comparable in resolution to the Canon ii. That is like the holy grail lens for Canon fanboys! As you know...of course.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
Here's one of the shots from the first day of the review process. I will be using the lens also for a wedding and business event over the weekend and into next week.

Just quickly looking at Gary's shots earlier in the thread, it kind of looks like the color palette is superior to Canon's 70-200 ii. Do you find this in your shooting, Dustin?

I suspect no matter how sharp some copies of this Tamron will go, nobody will ever admit it can be comparable in resolution to the Canon ii. That is like the holy grail lens for Canon fanboys! As you know...of course.

I haven't spent enough time to determine that, Carl. One thing I have noticed, however, and that is unlike many Tamron's the color DOESN'T seem to render on the warm side.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
CarlTN said:

I haven't spent enough time to determine that, Carl. One thing I have noticed, however, and that is unlike many Tamron's the color DOESN'T seem to render on the warm side.

Well, based on the pictures in this thread, it's definitely not on the cool side either.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
CarlTN said:

Well, based on the pictures in this thread, it's definitely not on the cool side either.

It was a raw image that I changed the color balance on metered off the white page of her book. It definitely went a lot warmer (5300 to 7500). I preferred the warmer palette to convey summer.

Upvote 0
I did my first brief round of testing with the Kenko 1.4x (Pro 300 Blue Dot). Image quality is very good. AF hunts more, particularly with outer points on a 6D. The center point is pretty decent.

Yellow Delphinium Delight by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Yes, obviously the colors have been played with here to produce a more artistic look. I will also post the original to give you an idea of color.

Upvote 0
Here's another portrait taken with the 70-200 VC + Kenko 1.4x. This is actually pretty nice combination. One thing I like is that bokeh remains very nice with the Tele. It just softens further without developing ugly characteristics.

Good Smell or Bad Smell? by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Here's the original along with a 100% crop to show detail with the combination. This is 280mm, f/4 (which should be worse case scenario).

Lovely photo, Dustin, but I hope you don't mind if I note that this is not a yellow delphinium; looks to me like Yellow Loosestrife, aka Lysimachia Punctata (though it may be something else).

Upvote 0
sdsr said:
Here's the original along with a 100% crop to show detail with the combination. This is 280mm, f/4 (which should be worse case scenario).

Lovely photo, Dustin, but I hope you don't mind if I note that this is not a yellow delphinium; looks to me like Yellow Loosestrife, aka Lysimachia Punctata (though it may be something else).

Fair enough. I did research on it by appearance and this was the closest match I could find.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0