Tonight's Blue Moon

Mar 25, 2011
Pretty good at 400mm. I doubt if I'd do that good.

I was looking at a 8 in telescope for sale locally wondering about using it with my camera but just wondering. I've had a couple of 8 inch Celestron scopes in the past and did not use them enough to keep them. I can't stand the cold weather, my hands go numb almost instantly even with the best gloves and I've tried them all with and without liners. I noticed a pair of electrically heated ones the other day but passed them up, I doubt they would help. Raynaud's Syndrome? Its been getting worse for many many years to the point that I just live with the pain when I have no choice but to work outside when its cold. It doesn't need to freeze, 40 degrees will do it. Fortunately, its just my fingers.

That makes it almost impossible to setup and fiddle with a telescope here in the North, just a couple of months a year have reasonably warm nights. If its warm during the day, I setup close to the house and then go out and fire up the camera. I was fortunate that when comet Neowise was visable in July, it was warm enough tp sit out and photograph it. It was cool but not cold. We seldom get to 70 at night.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Pretty good at 400mm. I doubt if I'd do that good.

I was looking at a 8 in telescope for sale locally wondering about using it with my camera but just wondering. I've had a couple of 8 inch Celestron scopes in the past and did not use them enough to keep them. I can't stand the cold weather, my hands go numb almost instantly even with the best gloves and I've tried them all with and without liners. I noticed a pair of electrically heated ones the other day but passed them up, I doubt they would help. Raynaud's Syndrome? Its been getting worse for many many years to the point that I just live with the pain when I have no choice but to work outside when its cold. It doesn't need to freeze, 40 degrees will do it. Fortunately, its just my fingers.

That makes it almost impossible to setup and fiddle with a telescope here in the North, just a couple of months a year have reasonably warm nights. If its warm during the day, I setup close to the house and then go out and fire up the camera. I was fortunate that when comet Neowise was visable in July, it was warm enough tp sit out and photograph it. It was cool but not cold. We seldom get to 70 at night.
I hear you on the cold nights. For some reason my hands go into cramps lately for no reason. It seems the cold might make it worse, but I don't think so. I almost never shoot astro, but thought I would give this lens one more chance. I have almost thrown it in the dumpster several times.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Wonderful photos @CanonFanBoy and @AaronT of the moon.

@CanonFanBoy I am just curious to know if you only used focus peaking for focusing on the moon?

Regards
Suman
That was the best way for me. I have mine set on red. My eyes are really bad. 20/300 in one eye and 20/400 in the other. Corrected with glasses, but still not too good.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2016
That was the best way for me. I have mine set on red. My eyes are really bad. 20/300 in one eye and 20/400 in the other. Corrected with glasses, but still not too good.
Thank you for the clarification, @CanonFanBoy. Would glasses help with your seeing? If so, you may try 10x liveview magnification as it is another way to ensure accurate focus. Focus peaking may not be accurate sometimes. Apart from that wonderful photo once again.

Regards
Suman

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0