Travel Camera Bags - advice please

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Looking for advice on a travel camera bag. Specifically one that can be carried on an airplane/put under a seat.

My Lowepro 120 sling bag worked fairly well in this regard, but is falling apart now. I like the idea of a sling bag but found it awkward when loaded with heavier gear and also found it hot, sat awkwardly etc. Its not bad, but looking to see any thoughts out there prior to buying.

would like to maximize space under an airplane seat, but also well comfort and protection for the camera (including rain). Would like to be able to attach a tripod or monopod etc to it as well and obviously carry spare stuff like batteries, chargers, cables etc.

it is possible I may get the same bag (if around) as it wasn't too bad (and it lasted a long time with some pretty good abuse).. . but wanting some feedback/advice.

Jul 21, 2010
That's a bit like asking what kind of car you should buy. Do you have no kids or 5 kids? Do you need to haul dirt or tow a boat? Absent relevant information, a recommendation is not very useful.

When considering a camera bag, the most important question is what camera gear you need to carry. Gripped or non-gripped body? How many lenses and which ones? The second most important question is what other gear you need to carry. A laptop? Clothing and personal items? Or just a tripod on the outside and a rain cover?

Your preferences may differ, but personally I like my bag to hold everything I need snugly and not have excess space. Since I have far too much gear to carry all at once, and what gear I need depends on what I'm going to shoot, I have a LOT of camera bags, ranging from toploader-style bags that hold camera with attached lens (with the ability to strap a second lens to the side) to backpacks that hold just camera gear or camera gear with other stuff.

My personal go-to for an air travel backpack is the Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW III. It holds my R3 with three lenses (14-35/4, 24-105/4 and the mounted 100-500L), and if I need to I can put another lens (e.g. TS-E 17 with RF adapter) in a Lowepro Lens Case 1W in the top compartment. The bag holds a 16" MacBook Pro and an iPad in the laptop compartment, and there's enough room in the top compartment for a couple of chargers and a raincoat or a change of clothes. It has a tripod holder and a rain cover.

For a recent trip, I decided that bag would not be large enough and wanted something a bit bigger that was still within carryon regulations. I bought the Peak Design Travel Line Backpack 45L and both the small and medium PD Camera Cubes. It's not really a camera bag (thus the camera cube inserts, and IMO it's really too big for a walkaround day pack. But it holds a lot and is comfortable to wear. I actually put most of my camera gear for the trip (R8, 14-35/4, 24-105/4 and 24/1.8) in a Think Tank Retrospective 5 v2 messenger-type bag, and put that inside the PD 45L backpack, with the rest of the camera gear (RF 100-400, RF 28/2.8, TS-E 17 with adapter and some filters) in the Small Camera Cube, also in the PD backpack. It held that plus a change of clothes, chargers, and a raincoat. Heavy but comfortable, and I like the tuck-away hip belt.

For just camera gear, I like the Lowepro Flipside series. I have the 300 and 400 sizes, they have rain covers and tripod holders.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
That's a bit like asking what kind of car you should buy. Do you have no kids or 5 kids? Do you need to haul dirt or tow a boat? Absent relevant information, a recommendation is not very useful.

When considering a camera bag, the most important question is what camera gear you need to carry. Gripped or non-gripped body? How many lenses and which ones? The second most important question is what other gear you need to carry. A laptop? Clothing and personal items? Or just a tripod on the outside and a rain cover?

Your preferences may differ, but personally I like my bag to hold everything I need snugly and not have excess space. Since I have far too much gear to carry all at once, and what gear I need depends on what I'm going to shoot, I have a LOT of camera bags, ranging from toploader-style bags that hold camera with attached lens (with the ability to strap a second lens to the side) to backpacks that hold just camera gear or camera gear with other stuff.

My personal go-to for an air travel backpack is the Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW III. It holds my R3 with three lenses (14-35/4, 24-105/4 and the mounted 100-500L), and if I need to I can put another lens (e.g. TS-E 17 with RF adapter) in a Lowepro Lens Case 1W in the top compartment. The bag holds a 16" MacBook Pro and an iPad in the laptop compartment, and there's enough room in the top compartment for a couple of chargers and a raincoat or a change of clothes. It has a tripod holder and a rain cover.

For a recent trip, I decided that bag would not be large enough and wanted something a bit bigger that was still within carryon regulations. I bought the Peak Design Travel Line Backpack 45L and both the small and medium PD Camera Cubes. It's not really a camera bag (thus the camera cube inserts, and IMO it's really too big for a walkaround day pack. But it holds a lot and is comfortable to wear. I actually put most of my camera gear for the trip (R8, 14-35/4, 24-105/4 and 24/1.8) in a Think Tank Retrospective 5 v2 messenger-type bag, and put that inside the PD 45L backpack, with the rest of the camera gear (RF 100-400, RF 28/2.8, TS-E 17 with adapter and some filters) in the Small Camera Cube, also in the PD backpack. It held that plus a change of clothes, chargers, and a raincoat. Heavy but comfortable, and I like the tuck-away hip belt.

For just camera gear, I like the Lowepro Flipside series. I have the 300 and 400 sizes, they have rain covers and tripod holders.

thank you, as often you do.. you have good insights.

I believe I put most of the basic parameters you mentioned, except for the specific body/lenses.. like you it can vary.

Its something I want with me at all times due to cost/price/damage factor. Overhead bins are often jammed now, so under seat sizing is more important.

Was thinking for next trip having something like this in the bag:
- R5 + attached RF 24-70 2.8L
- Sigma 150-600C with converter
- possibly Sigma 20mm 1.4 or similar
- 5 spare batteries
- battery charger
- cables
- extra memory cards
- maybe some small electronics
- maybe a travel tripod (which I might want recommendations.. I have too large or too small)

No need for clothes or laptop

I'll take a look at both lowpro's you mentioned

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Might want to also consider backpacks by ThinkTank Photo or Gura Gear. They are also very well made and come in a variety of sizes that can fit your needs. In terms of camera backpacks, I personally own the ThinkTank Airport Essentials, ThinkTank Airport Commuter and the GuraGear 30L+. Among these three packs, I generally find one that fits my needs as well as fits on the aircrafts being used in my travels.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0